Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing Tower

BlknYlwT22

I am currently looking at a SSLXI that has a tower that we would need to take off the boat. Any suggestions on ways to take care of places the tower legs were mounted on the boat? I would love to fix the areas by regeling but I have a feeling this is a pretty expensive option. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheapest, and fastest fix IMO would be to use some sort of respectable traction tape strategically placed. Maybe not one continuous running strip, but in places where it would make sense to have it. On top of the towers holes and then break up the open areas in even runs. I would still spot patch it myself. Having done a few holes myself, it is an easy job with the correct Spectrum color a litle hand sanding 220 - 1500 grit, then a cut and polish.

Which tower does it have? If it's s Titan is it an option to leave the mounts in place and just pull the tower?

It is not a Titan tower but it does appear the tower may have mounts. I would post a link but am always fearful to do so on here.

Cheapest, and fastest fix IMO would be to use some sort of respectable traction tape strategically placed. Maybe not one continuous running strip, but in places where it would make sense to have it. On top of the towers holes and then break up the open areas in even runs. I would still spot patch it myself. Having done a few holes myself, it is an easy job with the correct Spectrum color a litle hand sanding 220 - 1500 grit, then a cut and polish.

Would love to hear more about this potential option. I would very much prefer to never know the tower was there.

Get online and look up Spectrum. When you order you will need the year and the "Malibu color". For example, I have a "Malibu ebony hull" not black. You will have to order enough to final fill all the holes with a margin for error. Depending one how big the holes are you may have to fill them with resin and fiberglass mat available at any auto parts store. The Spectrum will only be use for color/ final filling. Prep is easy, tape under the holes to be able to fill them in. Remove anything that you don't want messed up. Cover and tape off everything else that might get messed up. Follow the directions on the mat and resin mix filling the holes to just under @ 1/8 depth for the Spectrum to final fill in. Block wet sand down the resin and mat if needed to the gel base. Yes it is going to be painful to even think about putting sand paper on a perfectly good gel base. :) Fill in the low spots with the Spectrum to outside of the holes circumfrances. I forgot to mention the very first thing I did was to chamfer the holes with a round stone Dremel bit to create a smooth rim and to prevent potential stress risers. Using a rubber sanding block I progressively wet sanded the Spectrum down from 220 to 1500 using long strokes to prevent low spots, use plenty of water to clean the paper. After I hit the 1500 mark I buffed and polished my way to the final product. Yeh it is going to be a long and messy process, but it is an easy job if you take your time. Google fiberglass body work if you need some tips. Good luck.

Probably around $300 or $400 to be repaired.

If the holes are in the right place, I'd cover them with a piece of non-skid deck pad & call it good. Gives people an obvious place to step in the boat.

You can fix the areas yourself pretty easy if they aren't too big.

+1 to what wdr said. I'd say go up to 2000 grit at least though. It will make polishing quicker and easier.

Edited by robbennett

I wish I knew what the tower was called. I don't think it is the most desireable one out there. As far as the skid pads, I love that idea but unfortunately the mounts are on the side of the boat instead of where someone would step. I will try to find a picture of an example. The biggest killer of the whole deal is the trailer is not original. It is blue and the boat is white and yellow.

I will have to look into spectrum. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Probably around $300 or $400 to be repaired.

If the holes are in the right place, I'd cover them with a piece of non-skid deck pad & call it good. Gives people an obvious place to step in the boat.

^^^ +1. Took the words right out of my mouth....

I wish I knew what the tower was called. I don't think it is the most desireable one out there. As far as the skid pads, I love that idea but unfortunately the mounts are on the side of the boat instead of where someone would step. I will try to find a picture of an example. The biggest killer of the whole deal is the trailer is not original. It is blue and the boat is white and yellow.

I will have to look into spectrum. Thanks for the tips everyone!

How about some nice domed decals over the holes. I have them from SkySki & Next Foils on my boat as is.

How about some nice domed decals over the holes. I have them from SkySki & Next Foils on my boat as is.

On a side note, you have any pics you could post?

• Like 1

I wouldn't let the trailer break the deal if it is in good shape. It's pretty easy to paint one and white or yellow are both really easy colors.

Have the same thoughts as well. There are just a few hurdles to make it a really nice package. I just don't want to get in too deep $$ wise.

Unless they really bother you, I'd just leave those round mounts where they are and simply detach the tower from them. Looks like you would be left with a tab with a hole in it sticking out, and since there are no cleats on that boat they might be a handy place for fenders and dock lines.

Unless they really bother you, I'd just leave those round mounts where they are and simply detach the tower from them. Looks like you would be left with a tab with a hole in it sticking out, and since there are no cleats on that boat they might be a handy place for fenders and dock lines.

That very well be what happens. I just hope the mounts dont protrude too much.

That's a super nice boat but I'd haggle on that price some.

That will undoubtedly will happen. If the boat was perfect and was a complete package I could see the asking price being in line. Any thoughts on what its worth?

Now Seeing pics of the boat, I see your dilemma with the tower post mounts,

Beautiful boat, like AirJunky suggested, some nice logos from Domed Numbers to cover

the mounting holes.

• Like 1