Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

trailered on 3 wheels

isellacuras

I don't remember all I know is they where the exact same and we were all amazed. Shoot I can't even remember the brand I have on them now other than they are original and they are horrible tires.

Weird. Typically the singles have D rated and the tandems have C rated.

Glad you posted this - I think I've had this question off and on and had a flat back in June but fortunately it was at the storage lot and a mom/pop tire shop was 1/2 mile away. Here are some thoughts - and I'm no expert at all, but I did sleep in a holiday in last night - LOL. Oh, and I emailed BoatMate (looks like they make most of the malibu trailers) asking this type of question - still waiting on the response. Obviously the best answer, which some mentioned, is don't trailer on 3, but there may be situations where that's not a real option.

Weight - if your trailer has the manufacturer tags on the front, keep that in mind. Mine says maximum 3500lbs. My 2007 Vride owners manual wasn't very good on weight description, but seems like online/elsewhere the boat is pretty close to that. The tires each say at proper inflation they support 1750lbs weight. Now think about what do you have in the boat. In this situation you may want to remove as much weight from the boat as you can (Example -- I've got 45lb weight plates in mine for wakesurfing, so I'd probably want to take out those). Basically everything you can do to reduce the weight to minimize stress on that tire. Turn on battery and run the ballast tank pumps to make sure they are empty. Etc. You get the idea. I wouldn't have even strapped the tire to the swim deck. I had to look up what a torsion suspension was (glad I did) to learn more about my trailer. Yeah you're putting more stress on it. How much? Did it reduce the life of it, and by how much? No real idea but of course you minimized time traveling like this.

Speed - no idea what would be best. Good call on at least setting your maximum to 55mph. Seems like I've seen folks driving around on space saver tires on their cars (almost a permanent solution, and not a good idea) and reminds me that space savers usually have a max speed printed on them (like 45 maybe? maybe 55). So I would think slower is better. Should you have done 45, 35?? No idea for sure. I would think slower and put your hazards on would have been ok. I don't live in CA though so not sure if a cop pulled you over if they would deem the trailer unsafe on 3 wheels and make you disconnect it.

Insurance - I need to drag out my progressive boat insurance packet to check it. I think road hazard for the trailer should be included. Ie would think that covers tire repair up to a certain amount. And in your case you may need to get to a more populated area for more timely service, or service at all.

I'm about to purchase a spare on amazon, looks like about $85 for an inexpensive spare (carlisle radial tire/wheel) and about $26 for a carrier. Oh and make sure you measure to verify 4.5" or 5" hole spacing (if you get one). And yes, spare tires could be stolen, ie multiple options out there to secure it but none 100% safe. Oh well......

I am glad that some guys pointed out they had bearing failures, so a spare wouldn't have even helped. I'll hopefully get a response from Boatmate and post it later (I'm sure they will not advocate 3 wheel trailering).

Done it with a enclosed race car trailer. Lost an axle going into Montreal maybe thirty miles out. Limped in called back to home and had a extra axle shipped up so we would get it at the airport on the way home. Changed in the parking lot and on the way.

At least you were on 5 and not 4 going the backway in to Lands End. No matter how many times Cal-Trans "fixes" the Altamont those tire crushing potholes appear. I hate riding over that POS stretch on the bike. Glad you made it o.k. I would have been closer to help you being in Modesto. I was on and off the site all weekend, and would have jumped in the car to give a hand..............

Gents, here is a reply I got from the trailer company that has made malibu trailers. It makes sense. And I appreciate their honesty. Once again from my thoughts and other comments here, if you have to do it, try several things to mitigate risk.

email response

From a liability standpoint, I cannot tell you that it's acceptable to drive on 3 wheels.
Off the record, I will say that I would do what I had to to get off the side of a busy/dangerous road......and if it were reasonably close, possibly all the way home. I would definitely reduce my speed and make SURE that the tire's air pressure was good (or slightly over) on the side with only one wheel.
The spare tire issue is something we have preached (unsuccessfully) to the boat manufacturers for nearly 3 decades. I agree that it should be standard equipment, but in the end, they are our customer (the ones that are ordering and paying us for the trailer), so that is their decision. Unfortunately, our hands are tied on that matter.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Gents, here is a reply I got from the trailer company that has made malibu trailers. It makes sense. And I appreciate their honesty. Once again from my thoughts and other comments here, if you have to do it, try several things to mitigate risk.

email response

From a liability standpoint, I cannot tell you that it's acceptable to drive on 3 wheels.
Off the record, I will say that I would do what I had to to get off the side of a busy/dangerous road......and if it were reasonably close, possibly all the way home. I would definitely reduce my speed and make SURE that the tire's air pressure was good (or slightly over) on the side with only one wheel.
The spare tire issue is something we have preached (unsuccessfully) to the boat manufacturers for nearly 3 decades. I agree that it should be standard equipment, but in the end, they are our customer (the ones that are ordering and paying us for the trailer), so that is their decision. Unfortunately, our hands are tied on that matter.
Let me know if you have any other questions

You leave your boat on the side of the highway. I won't do it if I have a choice in the matter. While I am sure there is a risk in doing it, I've never seen or heard of it actually happening. Slow down, go short distances to remove the boat from the situation. It's not like we're heading down to Havasu for spring break on 3 wheels. :Doh:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Another variation on the theme: if you have to tow with three wheels to get where you are going, stop at the half way point and switch one of the wheels from the two side to the single side to share the load that the single wheel sees over time.