Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Has your wife ever surprised you with boat skills?

Michigan boarder

I very rarely put the boat on the trailer, she unloads and loads unless there is something really weird going on and she is afraid to deal with it. She drops me at the dock and then drives the boat on when I get back with the trailer.

• Like 2

All the time. Now not as much since she is usually tending to the kiddos. Before kids and having a place at the lake we used to go out every Saturday and Sunday for the day. Usually at one of the busiest ramps close to here. She was the one who loaded and unloaded the boat off of the trailer. It always made me smile when she would weave in and out of boats tied to the dock and gracefully put ours on the trailer with 5-7 people sitting on the boat. I always chuckled at the husbands and wives arguing or the family of 4 with a wife and 2 teenage sons holding the boat to the dock while dad got the truck and trailer. I've had people at the ramp comment on how well she drives. Nerves of steel that woman.

Now when we don't have the kids on the boat she continues to amaze me with her driving skills. She pulls me slaloming, boarding and surfing. She has yet to dunk the bow.....oops, probably shouldn't say that last one, she will do it this weekend.

• Like 1

Nice one!

My wife impresses me every time out and especially on the ramp. Yesterday I dropped her off at the crowded ramp and could tell she was getting watched by several spectators. For one, she's still quite a looker in her bikini and two, could tell they thought there was about to be cluster on the ramp with all the traffic already and she would add to it. She pulled around, threaded the needle with the trailer in between several rigs, backed down perfectly straight, dunked bunks, pulled up to the perfect depth, I winched on, boom. You coulda picked up several jaws. Her new tow rig was probably contributing as well. :biggrin:

• Like 3

Nice one!

My wife impresses me every time out and especially on the ramp. Yesterday I dropped her off at the crowded ramp and could tell she was getting watched by several spectators. For one, she's still quite a looker in her bikini and two, could tell they thought there was about to be cluster on the ramp with all the traffic already and she would add to it. She pulled around, threaded the needle with the trailer in between several rigs, backed down perfectly straight, dunked bunks, pulled up to the perfect depth, I winched on, boom. You coulda picked up several jaws. Her new tow rig was probably contributing as well. :biggrin:

ok, what is the new tow rig?

My wife gets extremely nervous loading the boat whenever the ramp is busy. And then proceeds to nail it every time making most of the people look like chumps.

It no longer surprises me. Shouldn't you either Michigan :)

The trailer didn't surprise me, she's done that enough, it was the wedge. The remembering not to drive fast with the wedge, not being lazy and saying "well I just won't go fast then", and actually getting on the platform and doing it. That was the cool part. This was after she wakeboarded in the rain too, just to get one last run in.

• Like 1

This thread makes me a bit jealous. My wife will pull me surfing or boarding but refuses to dock. She will reluctantly back in the trailer but only if the ramp is empty. She says I am a terrible teacher and stress her out.........

This thread makes me a bit jealous. My wife will pull me surfing or boarding but refuses to dock. She will reluctantly back in the trailer but only if the ramp is empty. She says I am a terrible teacher and stress her out.........

This was my wife minus backing the truck down until this past weekend. The ramp was packed and there was no where to park the boat so she had no choice. She did great though! Putted around for the 30 minutes I waited in line and then pulled it right up onto the trailer without any issues. The confidence she got from this is going to make my life much easier.

I have never put our Malibu on or off the trailer - my wife or the kids have always done that.

I developed much more respect for her driving skills when my middle son got to be an adult and skiing "harder". For many years, she was driving our I/O and I would move the back of the boat all over the place when i pulled hard. Since i had never pulled anyone my size, I didn't realize the effort it took to keep a good line with that much pull.

My wife can work the truck and trailer fairly well but the whole boat thing.....kinda shaky. Not unsafe per se but there's certainly not a natural feel there. Continually overshooting downed riders, flat out refuses to backtrack on the same line when I'm boarding (gotta be a left turn circle pattern), and I can always tell if she's mad at me by how much throttle she uses when getting me out of the water. (Hey, I think I'll let him drag a bit....or maybe just pull his arms out of the socket) Nowww, I haven't heard it but I'm told I "have a tone" when giving instructions. Pshaw!

I haven't seen it yet in this tread, but I've wondered why Crew members often refer to their wives as "The" wife. Hmmm. I learn things from my wife every day, and she certainly runs rings around me on the slalom course. Sure, I'm always happy to see her excel, but I know that's just what she does, no matter what task she takes on.

• Like 1

My wife mowed lawns for the university in college pulling a trailer with all the equipment. She became a pro at backing trailers and is the one to always back down the ramp. She gets lots of compliments and people asking if she could teach their wives. Just last week she put the state park employees to shame who trying to get down the ramp.

While my wife isn't always comfortable doing the boat stuff she always comes through and gets it done. In the 5 years of owning a boat I have never unloaded/loaded a boat. She is great at listening to instruction. For the past 4 years she was always very timid around the docks letting other people go first. This year she just makes it happen. She loves the inboard over the I/O for around the docks because as she says "It always does the same thing". Plus she said with this boat people stay away. Don't know if that is a good or bad thing lol.