Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RIP Andy Mapple

msuwaterski

A true legend and icon of the sport. It was one of my goals to go ski with him at his new site in Orlando, and I'm really bummed that I won't ever get to meet him now. His death will leave a huge hole in the waterski community that no one can fill. RIP Goat!

• Like 1

Reading the stories on ball of spray is amazing.

Completely agree. Suprised at how bummed I've been this week after hearing this news. Never knew the man, but always admired how good he was. I remember reading an article in Waterski one year about his work ethic in training, and being particularly impressed by a quote from a top skier how he would go out and run really short line lengths in wind/chop conditions that nobody else would even bother trying. After reading the stories on ball of spray, can only say I wish I had made the effort to meet him. The owners of the Nautique dealer on my lake were surely good friends with him, I'm certain they feel a very heavy personal loss right now. I'll have to stop in to say hi and wish them my best.

As for what happened, have to admit I'm curious, but I do respect the family's wishes not to ask or speculate. That said, it really is amazing that it has been so quiet even after a week. Information on this kind of thing just can't help but have legs.

• Like 2

http://www.waterskimag.com/features/2015/08/24/the-water-ski-world-mourns-the-loss-of-andy-mapple/

This is a great video and there are some great photos as well.

If you are a skier, be sue to stay to the very end of the video.

Great video tribute! Also includes Glen Plake and a dread-less Marcus Brown among others. If someone wants to see more it looks like extra footage from Warren Miller's Impact.

Sorry for all involved that are missing a loved one or treasured friend/role model.

Just heard the news about Andy Mapple, we've been on the road and haven't really been across any news. It came as a great shock as I met him for the first time at the Moomba Masters this year and when I mentioned we were visiting the States he said come on down and visit me which I intended to do. Here's me, a nobody (in skiing terms) from country Australia getting an invite from the greatest skier of all time, he was a very friendly, humble guy and his passing is a great shock and terrible tradgedy. Can't imagine what his family are going through.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I just saw an updated article about this...

"He died of a suspected heart attack on August 22, 2015, aged 52"

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/obituaries/article4550117.ece?shareToken=3ab0259f0e3ca4e53dd73c4fc85414a8

Its too bad and also surprising that someone in such good shape and only 52 years would go that way.

I just saw an updated article about this...

"He died of a suspected heart attack on August 22, 2015, aged 52"

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/obituaries/article4550117.ece?shareToken=3ab0259f0e3ca4e53dd73c4fc85414a8

Its too bad and also surprising that someone in such good shape and only 52 years would go that way.

Thanks for posting. I have been curious as to the cause of death myself....if nothing else because of the great shape he was in.

You just never know. Very sad for the family and fans but a great life lived. RIP

Well I mean it is The times newspaper obituary section which is out of London Bridge, London... not some blog... but I can see where you're coming from.

There is also this article: http://www.waterskimag.com/features/2015/08/24/the-water-ski-world-mourns-the-loss-of-andy-mapple/

...Where in the comments section, someone named "German Nicolas" who comments "Cause of death was suicide. Great guy and athlete. The best in our time. However this sport does not pay well. After all that success he should have been a millionaire but waterski pays s***. I assume he was fed up of working like an animal to pay his bills. See you on the other side Andy."

Andy Mapple's son, Mike Mapple responds with "Who told you that? Because we are waiting on the medical examiner..."

So with a reaction like that taken at face value, I would bet on that they found him by the lake in his truck, didn't know and didn't want to comment and start rumors, hence the initial response that they may make a statement at some time. I could imagine that they don't want to comment on it if they didn't know yet?... I suppose I would react the same way if I was his family.

ahopkins22LSV

It doesn't really matter at this point. It is awful that he passed so young. The Watersports community has been pretty damn respectful to the family about not talking how how or what but to how he was such a great person.

I think we should keep it that way. If the family wants the community to know the will release it.

• Like 3

I've hesitated about responding about it. One reason to discuss it might be to help others in the future. If it was heart related maybe info about it could help others that might not know they have an issue. Same if it was suicide. Maybe discussing it could help others that might not see any signs.

I'm a survivor of suicide in our family. Very difficult to discuss.

Steve B.

• Like 3

I have also hesitated to reply out of respect to a legend and his family but I tend to agree with Steve B. There are a lot of causes of heart attack be it heart conditions, drug use, overdose (accidental or suicide) among others. I know nothing of Andy Mapple other than his legacy he left in the skiing world. With that said, I have seen first hand the devastation that surrounds a family when a few of these "heart attacks" have happened. Even within my small inner circle of friends and family I have seen attempts to cover up the root cause of the heart attack in an attempt to not disrespect the person or embarrass the family. In this case of a well known professional athlete, it is important to cement his legacy in a positive light. However, if there are some underlying causes of the heart attack that were known and could help just one person not face the same fate, it would be beneficial to expose the root cause. A personality of his magnitude has the potential to help not just one but many. In either case I respect the decision of his family to release the information they choose to.

• Like 2

I have also hesitated to reply out of respect to a legend and his family

I know nothing of Andy Mapple other than his legacy he left in the skiing world.

Same here. Hopefully it isn't anything that is causing more pain than the actual loss of the man. I lost a cousin to a stroke a few years back. Youngest in his family and in the best shape of the bunch.

Was glad to see the Mapple Challenge happened again. What a unique and fun concept for an event.