Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
msuwaterski

RIP Andy Mapple

msuwaterski

I sure hope this news isn't true. I checked snoops and there were no hits. The waterski world has lost a legend if it is true. May your heavenly waters always be smooth Andy!

http://www.ballofspray.com/35-ballofspray-water-ski-news/2434-water-skiing-mourns-one-of-its-greatest-champions-andy-mapple-1962-2015

ahopkinsVTX

Sad sad day. Micheal Jordan of water skiing.

UWSkier

Yep. No details I can find but found in his truck at the lake. Sad day for the sport.

Falko

I was just telling my friend last week about Andy. Very sad to lose someone in the sport like this.

NCVride

His son, Mike, posted about it on Facebook. The comments on there are outstanding to read if you have time. Plenty of good stories about Andy.

bamabonners

I had a poster of him when I was a kid. I used to stay up late to watch the ski coverage on tv.

Sixball

Wow. I was talking about him a week ago. RIP.

NorrisMike

RIP. I have one of his instructional VHS tapes. He was an awesome dude and recent pics I've seen show him to be in great health. Live every day to the fullest.

Edited by NorrisMike

tvano

sobering

Soon2BV

Wow. I remember him and Deena in WS magazine, and i saw them both when Indy actually hosted a tournament. Great people.

Woodski

RIP to the GOAT. Condolences to family and friends. A sad day for the sport.

bunji169

Man, that sucks. He looked like a really healthy and fit guy. I guess no matter how well you live your life, when it's your time, it's your time. RIP

skibumm

Yes a sad day for me yesterday. I only met him once but he was a great ambassador for the sport and took time to talk with me like I was a peer and the whole time i'm thinking "holy $hit its Andy freaking Mapple" . Funny thing is that on Centurion crew I have one comment on this. I think that none of them know who is was and that is sad in and of itself.

Slayer

I heard about this yesterday and found myself pretty disturbed to say the least. Andy was far too young to pass. My thoughts and prayers to his family. He was a class act!

brgrcru

Very sad . I bought what ever ski he was skiing on. Rip.

Pnwrider

I saw the Facebook post yesterday. Pretty hard to believe. What a legend.

RyanB

Prayers to his family. I have done a bit of searching, but haven't found it. Did they say what the cause was?

mayfike

First time I met him my group pulled up with suburbans full of gear. I looked up and wondered who the guy was hauling my ski and bags away. Was only the Greatest Skier of all time playing bell hop. He lived a great, inspiring life and I am fortunate and better to have met him.

ahopkinsVTX

From Mike Mapple on BOS:

post-23201-0-41716400-1440503664_thumb.j

Rednucleus

Thank you Soon2BV for that link - what an amazing skier - very humbling to face the slalom course after seeing such talent at work!

tvano

Wow, that cat could chase some buoys! Great video.

not just a few of the shots looked like he came off the buoy with so much angle that he was headed the wrong way in the course!

ahopkinsVTX
post-23201-0-60507800-1440723430_thumb.j

Wow, that cat could chase some buoys! Great video.

That's an understatement! Just think that was in the late 90's early 2000's. It's still hard for me to believe he is gone. I don't even know how many times I've watched his videos and idolized him growing up. And I still watch his videos and think to myself, damn if I only had half of his skill. Skiing, skis, and boats would not be where they are today without him.

Reading the stories on ball of spray is amazing. He was truly an inspirational and humble human being. It has really affected a lot of my good friends who are even more involved with the water ski scene more than I am. Most of them are in Florida and it is awesome to see them come together in such a bad situation. It was on my bucket list to ski with him. I guess that will have to wait until whatever comes next for all of us after we leave this world.

post-23201-0-60507800-1440723430_thumb.j

Edited by ahopkinsTXi