Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ultimate ballast setup? - 2001-VLX

elib

Damn wish I had both of your boats on a lake at the same time so I could really tell the difference between wedge and no wedge. Sounds like you've both got just about the same amount of weight. Does the wedge require a prop upgrade?

Do people get snap on bow covers made to help combat swamping?

I was looking at someone's Thule cargo "tray" style roof rack and thinking that would be nice at times on the boat to have an place to strap down gear above the bimini but in front of the tower pylon.

- Eli

Within the past few months, I completely re-done my ballast system in my 2002 VLX. Here's what I did.

- ACME 1235 prop upgrade.

- Straight line 900 lb bags in the rear lockers.

- Straight line 500 lb bag in the front bow, under the seats.

- Straight line 800 lb bag (External bag I usually have on the passenger side seat or floorboard area and use a Sumo pump).

- Fly High 580 lb bag in the center. (Biggest bag I could find that fit the locker).

- I replaced all my pumps to the Johnson reversible pumps.

- I used one Johnson pump for the center and front bow bag. I used a Y valve for both the pump and vent for the front bow so I did not have to drill another hole through the side hull.

- Manual Wedge.

Only item I'm waiting for is a manual surf gate from Mission boat gear.

Just a FYI if you order from Wakemakers.com. I had nothing but issues with multiple orders from them. I had missing parts and I think they way they recommend to install the pumps and hoses is very unsafe. Also they're ballast bag recommendations were the wrong sizes they sent me after I explained to them what my boat is. You'll notice nothing has barbs to make a better seal between the pumps and hoses. I used marine grade silicone on all fitting where there were no barbs so I have no leaks.

Hope this all helps your upgrades.

Well so far ive been pretty happy with the wake my 01 vlx is making, wife and I are able to go ropless easily.

800's in rear lockers

Stock 500 in the ski locker

400 in the bow

400 on the floor/seat on the side for either goofy or reg.

Running the 537 prop

Now today, I am getting the wicked wakesurf... this will be a game changer. Pretty stoked to see what the difference will be. I was told by Joe at wicked run both 800s full, 500 full and perhaps play with the other 350 ballast bags I have.. but I may not need them. Joe also said not to be afraid of running up too 12.4mph, thats what he has run with the same hull. Ill give it a go tomorrow and report back with some pics. Pretty stoked!!

Edited by CFH

My cousin has a 99 sun setter VLX with mls. He has 2 pumps in his ski locker but they are capped off, previous owner did not use ballast at all. I see thru hull's in the rear lockers with a 3 switch panel on dash. I do believe there are pumps in the rear lockers as well, again, no bags.

Under the carpet floors in the lockers, are there hard tanks there? is there anything their or just void space? it looks like there should be a little space under the carpet floor.... I have not really dug around in there yet. You guys using 750's and 900's, just off memory it does not appear they will fit or fill all the way. Do those floors come up and out?

thank you,

If I remember correctly from the later model VLX I've been on the read 250# hard tanks are above the floor. The only tank below is the ski locker. Whenever I'm in those read lockers I wonder just how much space is down there. I know there are stringers in the way and it's not terribly deep. there are holes from the engine bildge to those spaces big enough for a hand to fit. Stick your arm in there and explore. I think about removing the floor, letting the bags sit lower so I can use locker space above the bag.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly from the later model VLX I've been on the read 250# hard tanks are above the floor. The only tank below is the ski locker. Whenever I'm in those read lockers I wonder just how much space is down there. I know there are stringers in the way and it's not terribly deep. there are holes from the engine bildge to those spaces big enough for a hand to fit. Stick your arm in there and explore. I think about removing the floor, letting the bags sit lower so I can use locker space above the bag.

That is what we were thinking too. If we knew what was down there, we could cut the floor out so that we could put a bigger bag, or just have more space on top....

That is what we were thinking too. If we knew what was down there, we could cut the floor out so that we could put a bigger bag, or just have more space on top....

There is very little room under the floor in that model, that is why those lockers are so deep. Just measure the depth inside the locker and compare it to outside the boat if you really want your answer.

Edited by Brodie