Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgrading to '16. Need opinions and ideas

ID AX

Just got home from our demo and WOW that T22 wave is nice. We ran about 320bs and it was a better wave than our '14 A22 with 5000lbs. With 400lbs of lead under the bow that wave would be really nice without any bags showing. That's based on 3 to 4 people. Add more than that and you would get an even better wave.

The 350 with 1.72 is a nice setup but sadly won't cut it at elevation. We are at 3000' and with 3200lbs the boat maxed at 12mph. We surfed at 11.4 and the rpms were 4200. There is no way this boat could run at 5000'.

The 350 with 1.72 is a nice setup but sadly won't cut it at elevation. We are at 3000' and with 3200lbs the boat maxed at 12mph. We surfed at 11.4 and the rpms were 4200. There is no way this boat could run at 5000'.

so where does this leave you?

450 or bust?

Just got home from our demo and WOW that T22 wave is nice. We ran about 3200bs ... With 400lbs of lead under the bow ....................

Glad to hear you liked the T22, still ordering one?

What's the 450 upcharge? 6-7k?

Your weight setup sounds similar to ours, just curious where/what it was and wedge/no wedge.

Interesting you comment on the use of lead in the bow....I've been giving this some serious thought and was actually going to make a post tonight to see if anyone had added lead to an Axis. I personally feel it's needed in the bow as the 650lb bow sack likely doesn't fill to that amount.

Glad to hear you liked the T22, still ordering one?

What's the 450 upcharge? 6-7k?

Your weight setup sounds similar to ours, just curious where/what it was and wedge/no wedge.

Interesting you comment on the use of lead in the bow....I've been giving this some serious thought and was actually going to make a post tonight to see if anyone had added lead to an Axis. I personally feel it's needed in the bow as the 650lb bow sack likely doesn't fill to that amount.

We are going to order. Probably place our order at the end of October or early November. It will depend on what our dealer can work out on winter promotions. Looking for a January or February delivery date. I will be doing my own stereo to help with the cost of the 450 upgrade. It is 9300.00 msrp. I am not sure what our actual cost will be. Our dealer is working some special numbers for us. This will be our 3rd boat in 5 years from them and they know it won't be our last.

Our weight setup today was stock full with 1100s in the rear (probably around 950 full) and about 575 in the nose. My dealer didn't have any bow bags and thought he grabbed an 800 but ended up grabbing a 400. He's a good buddy of mine and won't hear the end of that for awhile. ;) I made sure to tell him he is just like all the other crappy dealers. He volunteered to sit in the bow the whole time so we ended up with about the same as the under seat bow bag. When we get ours we will have the 1100s and the under seat bow bag. Then throw about 400lbs of lead under the bow with the bag. There are a couple of local guys running that setup and they love it. Everything is hidden but still a great wave. I have a 750 and 3 - 400s for when we want to get stupid. :innocent: We don't usually run the wedge. It does add push and height but at the expense of length. This wave already has a ton of push and decent height. I would rather get the length out of it.

Edited by ID AX
  • Like 2

But that's like $15k?

Ya it's not in the cards for us but it is an option for someone at high elevation. My wife asked if we should consider the VLX again but even with the 450 upgrade we will still be 25K + cheaper on the T22.

So after a little research last night I am at a loss over what prop we should run. Our dealer hasn't ever ordered a T22 with the 450 motor and 1.72 tranny before. Anyone here have any suggestions? I would like to get the lowest rpms possible while surfing. Would a pre '16 VLX with the same setup be a good comparison?

Edited by ID AX

I think 2313 would be good compromise to start with some room to gear down farther.

I'm obviously not a prop expert so this maybe a silly question but. With the 450 mated to the 1.72 tranny could I run a higher pitched prop? Would that lower rpms

what prop was on the t22 that you demod? I'm shocked to hear you powered-out with that setup at 3000'. I have the 1235 (not even a 15" and not the torque prop) and got on plane easily to wakeboard speed this weekend fully ballasted and with wedge on a T22.

We had approx 550lbs in the bow. See my previous post for explanation. I'm sure with 1100s in the lockers that more bow weight would be needed. I'm also sure they don't have the most aggressive prop on it either. The 350 with the 1.72 is a great setup but for us it will be the 450 with 1.72 and then there is no question at 5000'

So after a little research last night I am at a loss over what prop we should run. Our dealer hasn't ever ordered a T22 with the 450 motor and 1.72 tranny before. Anyone here have any suggestions? I would like to get the lowest rpms possible while surfing. Would a pre '16 VLX with the same setup be a good comparison?

I would consider the oj 948, it's a step up from acme 1235, but less aggressive than the 2315 and it's a 15" prop. I'm using it now on my vlx with 410, 1.5 trans and I can surf at 3100 rpms. I think it would be a good match for your T22. Have Eric at oj props send you one to demo, worse case send it back.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2

We are going to order. Probably place our order at the end of October or early November. It will depend on what our dealer can work out on winter promotions. Looking for a January or February delivery date. I will be doing my own stereo to help with the cost of the 450 upgrade. It is 9300.00 msrp. I am not sure what our actual cost will be. Our dealer is working some special numbers for us. This will be our 3rd boat in 5 years from them and they know it won't be our last.

Our weight setup today was stock full with 1100s in the rear (probably around 950 full) and about 575 in the nose. My dealer didn't have any bow bags and thought he grabbed an 800 but ended up grabbing a 400. He's a good buddy of mine and won't hear the end of that for awhile. ;) I made sure to tell him he is just like all the other crappy dealers. He volunteered to sit in the bow the whole time so we ended up with about the same as the under seat bow bag. When we get ours we will have the 1100s and the under seat bow bag. Then throw about 400lbs of lead under the bow with the bag. There are a couple of local guys running that setup and they love it. Everything is hidden but still a great wave. I have a 750 and 3 - 400s for when we want to get stupid. :innocent: We don't usually run the wedge. It does add push and height but at the expense of length. This wave already has a ton of push and decent height. I would rather get the length out of it.

That sounds like a really unbalanced weight setup to me. We run 800's in he rear, but probably only at 700lb each and a 650 under seat bow sack. I think the bow sac only fills to 450 before maxing out the under seat area. Without two people in the bow in addition to the bow sac I can't even see over the bow at surf speeds. We have 200lb of lead now, but still an extra person in the bow really helps. I can't even imagine running 1100's in the rear without adding a lot of weight to the bow. I'm curious how this setup will work and what the wave produced will be. Looking forward to pics of a beast wave.

Edit: Just read your post again and noticed you don't run the wedge. That could be the difference. We haven't tried without the wedge, but I'm thinking we will try next time out.

Edited by 08oregon v-rider

This will be our 3rd boat in 5 years from them and they know it won't be our last.

I've read through all the posts on this thread. I'm planning to order an Axis this winter for delivery in the spring. Out of all the info and details I've read here what you said above stands out the most. I'm curious as to why you've replaced boats so often? I am hoping to key in on the "right" boat for me and my family the first time. What is it that made you replace the first 2?

jtoddh - Our first boat was a toe in the water so to speak. My wife and I both wanted a boat and I have had tow boats in the past. We decided to buy the most boat we could afford without having a payment. My dealer had a used 2002 Tige 2300V that was in really good shape and we jumped on it. NOT THE BOAT FOR US is how I will say that went. Nothing mechanically wrong just didn't fit our idea of simple to use and set up for surfing. We realized that if surfing was going to be for us then we would need to upgrade the boat. My dealer took us out on an A20 and A22 and I LOVED how much easier they were to drive compared to the Tige. Also surfgate pretty much sold my wife. She does not like riding in a listed boat and our old tige had to have a ton of list to surf. We ordered our A22 and have really enjoyed the last two summers with her. Now we find ourselves at a point where we have to put close to 5000lbs of ballast in our A22 to get the wave we want. This maxes out our poor little motor and can be frustrating at times. Another huge factor is that my dad bought a lake property with a dock. We have access to it all summer and love the area that it's in. Unfortunately it is at 5000' in elevation and we cannot get enough ballast to surf before our motor maxes out. The solution is to upgrade boats again. Our dealer has been awesome to work with and is making it easy to upgrade. We will lose some money on our A22 but I don't look at it that way. We have had a blast for the last two summers and my boys have learned how to wakeboard and surf behind this boat. The memories alone are worth the depreciation to us.

a little disclosure. I have known the sales manager at our dealership for 15+ years.