Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgrading to '16. Need opinions and ideas

ID AX

FAE on these are a very poor design and shake the boats at low speeds, opt out and order a after market one from Larry at FAE.

I heard this as well. Hasn't been my experience on mine. I quite like it. Yes, I have found under unique weighting (its not constant) some more vibration through the boat but its no big deal and I'd gladly accept it for the benefits FAE has.

yes it does.

I'm no audio junky but I must say I'm pretty impressed with this unit.

Adjustability of the tower volume is really easy. Volume knowb defaults contolling interior and towers and when you push it you get a screen for tower control so you can turn down the tower (all the way if desired) or vice versa. Just push the knob to toggle.

• Like 2

Has anyone else found this to be the case? Also, with the CAT's on these, does the FAE or Surfpipe make that big a difference? I seem to recall other threads debating this and no definitive conclusion to the debate.

Test drove a T23 this season and with 750's in the lockers, 600# bow bag and stock ballast it vibrated the whole boat at idle in neutral. Noticeable for sure.

Hey ID AX, have YOU tried the 350 at 5000'? I'm really really curious about this. We are moving and I'm considering downsizing to a T22 (would fit in the garage) and going with the 350 would make a lot of sense financially, but only if it will actually work at 4-5k' with ballast full and 8 people in the boat.

Hey ID AX, have YOU tried the 350 at 5000'? I'm really really curious about this. We are moving and I'm considering downsizing to a T22 (would fit in the garage) and going with the 350 would make a lot of sense financially, but only if it will actually work at 4-5k' with ballast full and 8 people in the boat.

I haven't personally but my dealer has. He knows we will be spending time at that elevation and gave us the green light on it. i have known my salesman for 15 years and he is a close friend. Having said that I will be doin a demo on sat and will talk to him again about it.

How did the 350 work in the MB? Isn't that why you went with a 450 on the lsv?

How did the 350 work in the MB? Isn't that why you went with a 450 on the lsv?

yes but that's with the 1.48 tranny vs 1.72.

In the MB the 350 would hit the wall at 4000' with about 4000 lbs and 6 people.

I don't understand it, why even offer a motor upgrade if the 350 will do everything. It looses 15% effeciency at 5000'. Trans ratio is only as good as the prop someone selects to use. A 2249 with a 1.72 ratio must send the rpms through the roof while surfing, with no decent cruising speed. Or maybe I am looking at it all wrong????

I don't understand it, why even offer a motor upgrade if the 350 will do everything. It looses 15% effeciency at 5000'. Trans ratio is only as good as the prop someone selects to use. A 2249 with a 1.72 ratio must send the rpms through the roof while surfing, with no decent cruising speed. Or maybe I am looking at it all wrong????

if it loses 15% efficiency the tranny is 15% lower geared its a net equal but yes the RPMS are higher proportionately.

So not only do you achieve higher rpms while surfing and wakeboarding, but your cruising speed also suffers. 15% increase in rpms surfing is probably over 4100 rpms, which is crazy high. With 2315 prop I was at 3500, would be even higher with a 2249.

Seems like ideal setup would be 1.72 tranny with a 410/450, you could prop down to achieve much lower rpms across the board.

Edited by Fman

So not only do you achieve higher rpms while surfing and wakeboarding, but your cruising speed also suffers. 15% increase in rpms surfing is probably over 4000 rpms, which is crazy high.

Seems like ideal setup would be 1.72 tranny with a 410/450, you could prop down to achieve much lower rpms across the board.

Totally.

Problem is that axis/crusader skip the 410 and only gear down the 450, which is a near $10K upgrade. The 410 gets the 1.48. Shoot maybe that's enough? the ZR409 on a 1.5 tranny was the go to motor on MB and Nautique for many years, and seemed like it got it done on the Nautique 230 no problem. It would provide for much more top end/cruising speed for sure.

So not only do you achieve higher rpms while surfing and wakeboarding, but your cruising speed also suffers. 15% increase in rpms surfing is probably over 4000 rpms, which is crazy high.

I don't disgaree but the point is, people can now buy a budget boat with stock engine and move the weight and if cruising is a priority, then put a 15x15.5 prop and its almost the same as a 14.25 pitch with the 1.5 tranny. Most axis buyers, however, are showing, they wnat the ability to load it down. The new tranny allows them to do that. The prop turns 15% more rpm. Not a big deal if it moves the weight.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I'm just passing through....and not 100% up to snuff on the difference in props BUT figured I'd chime in as I have the 350/1.72/2249 setup, which came factory on my boat and for us loaded down surfing we are ~3500rpms, definitely not 4000rpms. Not sure if that helps at all or if that's considered HIGH rpm, but again, that's my experience.

• Like 1

Oh but cruising speed does suck, at least compared to our old DD Malibu. Top speed is 38-39mph, never hit 40 unfortunately. Realistically the times/conditions I can even go that fast is extremely limited so it's fine, but it was cool to see high 40's out of our SSLX.