Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgrading to '16. Need opinions and ideas

ID AX

Like the title says we are trading our '14 A22 for a '16 T22. I have already started to fill out the order form but we will probably hold off until October to put our order in.

What are your absolute must haves and what have you been able to live without? Not worried about ballast and motor options. We are going with the 350 and 1.72 reduction. The largest pnp options and then I have a 750 that will be in the walkthru.

Here is a link to what the CEO wants color wise :) I got my way on the A22 so she gets this one.

Edited by ID AX

Isn't the 350 discontinued? at least on the wake setter series its done. I thought the base engine was now the 410?

After a few different VLX's over past five years...few recommendations...Zero off speed control, heater, stereo delete - install your own custom system. Not sure what else the Axis is offering, never ordered one before. Congrats on the new boat.

Isn't the 350 discontinued? at least on the wake setter series its done. I thought the base engine was now the 410?.

I WISH. We seriously looked at a VLX and one of the reasons was because of the 410. Axis is still under contract with PCM.

Ive been lucky enough to pick up a boat that had every option plus some that weren't available, but out of everything, I would have to say the salt series option and the ls3. Even if you never went to salt water, its so nice having a closed loop cooling system and a painted over galvanized trailer. It the extra protection thats nice. Also, the transom flush is a major convenience.

Something that I have that I don't ever use, spinning board racks. I have two sets and i NEVER rotate them in to put on boards. It's because when they are soaking wet, they drip water all over the seats and whoever's phone is sitting in the wrong spot. I would just go for the standard racks. Although the spinning ones do look nice.

The under water lights and docking locking etc, do look really cool, but thats all that they are. I do find myself using the docking lights though. They've helped in tight waterways, when I suspect another boat is heading straight towards me, ill flash them just to make me more noticeable.

The heater really is only good for the driver. thats usually me so I love it on cold days.

I have a few buddies with a22 and malibus, and they all wish they would have gotten the tricked out trailer with bigger wheels. It's purely cosmetic, but the trailer can really change the look of your boat.

Please please please please please get an engine upgrade.

Do you work for Malibu/Axis??? :lol:

We have the 330 in our A22 and routinely run 4500lbs to surf. We normally boat at 3000' and have never had a problem getting to 11mph with throttle to spare. Our family has a cabin on a lake at 5000' and she suffers there. My dealer has been testing the 350 with the 1.72 and it has performed perfectly. The 409 with 1.46 has the same or less torque than the 350 w/ 1.72. The next option is the 450 w/ 1.72 and at $9000.00 I would just go to the VLX with the 410 and 1.72.

Today at about 3500 feet with about 3000 lbs and wedge, the 2315 would not get to wakeboard speed. Surfing was fine. I wasn't going to wakeboard with that much ballast but was curious to see if it would get to wakeboard speed. Probably need more bow weight. I don't think I want the standard engine in my next boat.

Today at about 3500 feet with about 3000 lbs and wedge, the 2315 would not get to wakeboard speed. Surfing was fine. I wasn't going to wakeboard with that much ballast but was curious to see if it would get to wakeboard speed. Probably need more bow weight. I don't think I want the standard engine in my next boat.

We are running the 2079 in our '14 A22 with the 330. I have run stock ballast with 800s in the lockers and the bow bag as full as it will get plus another 400 on the front seat and wedge. At 3000' it took awhile to plane but it did and would maintain 22.5mph. The wake was intimidating at first but fun for me at 65'. My buddy/dealer was at 75' and 23 mph.

Surf pipe (FAE) is a must have for us.

Is the zero off GPS that much better? I haven't ever had GPS based speed control but we did have surging issues with standard speed control, when loaded down.

Or dealer is a good friend and I trust his advice. He has been at 5000' with 350 motor with the 1.72 gearing. I don't know what prop he used but he said surfing wasn't an issue. He knows this was an issue with our A22 and one of the reasons for the upgrade.

Tricked out trailer is sweet but probably not in the budget

Isn't the 350 discontinued? at least on the wake setter series its done. I thought the base engine was now the 410?

After a few different VLX's over past five years...few recommendations...Zero off speed control, heater, stereo delete - install your own custom system. Not sure what else the Axis is offering, never ordered one before. Congrats on the new boat.

Thats on the malibus.

Axis still gets GM engines. And I can attest, the new reduction transmissions are stump pullers with the "traditional" props.

I haven't noticed any surging our on regular cruise, not sure if GPS cruise would be worth it IMO.

350 w/ 2249 has been fine for us, but we're only around 1000' elevation.

I disagree on the spinner racks, we use them EVERYTIME we're out as my wife is short/weak so can't reach out/around to put a board on the rack. Also when we kept the boat in a slip for a week at Norris the boat would NOT fit without the racks spun in.

We went pretty basic on the options, but the only option I WOULD NOT order ever again is the snap in carpet. HATE HATE HATE it. Once it's wet it takes forever to dry, and that's when I pull it out and hang it in the garage. I've left it in for a 3 day weekend once and I don't think it dried slightly even in 95* heat. Now we regularly run without carpet in the boat, just because it's too much of a hassle removing the main piece everytime because it goes under the rear slider seat. Definitely think I'll order Gator Step for the flooring.

Congrats, love our T22 as well.

+1 for Zero Off, all of the 2015 Wakesetters come with it standard. How much are you saving now on the Axis with the motor upgrade and zero off included with a VLX? It has to be narrowing the gap.