Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GPS antenna on 14 VLX

pknappe

3 hours ago, Sixer said:

... When I installed mine, my dealer told me that if I switch back and forth between paddle wheel and GPS (mine has a switch), that I need to fully power it down, and turn off the batteries to make sure the system changes over.  ...

I'm not sure you need to turn off the batteries, but you do need to totally shut down and reboot for system to switch from paddlewheel to GPS and from GPS to paddlewheel. Changing from one to the other isn't an "on the move" type of activity like it is in the new boats ('15+), but you can get it done while switching riders.

On 5/24/2016 at 1:33 AM, mikeo said:

I'm not sure you need to turn off the batteries, but you do need to totally shut down and reboot for system to switch from paddlewheel to GPS and from GPS to paddlewheel. Changing from one to the other isn't an "on the move" type of activity like it is in the new boats ('15+), but you can get it done while switching riders.

I didn't think it would do the trick, but I tried powering off the battery at the disconnect, left off for a while and powered back up... as expected not luck... the GPS cruise speed is so erratic the boat is almost not driveable with the GPS cruise turned on...   If anyone can get me a picture of where the GPS module is mounted on their boats I would really appreciate it, Thanks!!

5 hours ago, APoko said:

I didn't think it would do the trick, but I tried powering off the battery at the disconnect, left off for a while and powered back up... as expected not luck... the GPS cruise speed is so erratic the boat is almost not driveable with the GPS cruise turned on...   If anyone can get me a picture of where the GPS module is mounted on their boats I would really appreciate it, Thanks!!

I can get a picture in a '13 this weekend; There is a possibility I can get a picture tomorrow. As soon as I get it, I'll post it.

Apoko,

Not sure why you are having issues with the GPS install.  When I did my install on a 2013 model year, it went well.  All of the harness adapters only hook one way, so there should be no issue there.  The only place for a potential crossed wire is hooking up the wires to the back of the switch that changes the input to the boat controls from GPS control to Paddle Wheel control.  Make sure those connections are correct.

I talked to tech support from the Medallion Company that makes the GPS for model year 2013 and the only thing about mounting the puck is that the "top" side is up and there is no metal over it.  It does not have a mounting direction, meaning there is no forward or rearward orientation.

Regarding your parts, I am assuming you cross referenced the parts you ordered with the ECM on your engine.  Does the LSA 555 use the same ECM as the Monsoon 350?  I have no idea.

G

Apoko,

One other thing.  I re-read your post about ordering the parts and you said you did not order the "official" switch.

Not sure if you picked up on the fact in my original post about this project, the "official" switch is a "single throw double pole switch.

This is crucial!

I am not sure exactly how the dash and the ECM sorts the information, but the switch has to be doing the right thing, it has to tell the computer whether it is using paddle wheel or GPS to control the throttle.  Are you sure you have the correct switch and that the "legs" of your switch are routing the signal properly.

G

@gordon20mxz

Thanks for the pointers...

I personally did not verify my ECM type, however I did have the dealer quote the GPS upgrade and the all the part numbers they listed on the quote are the same as what you listed, and the same as what I actually ordered and installed. So I'm assuming that the parts are correct but I agree at this point, that may be a good thing to go back and verify.  

Yes,  I was aware the switch is a DPST and I'm 100% positive I have it wired correctly.  I have a Port Supply wholesale account with West Marine so I just picked up an appropriate switch locally at a discount rather than ordering.  

I havenet really had a chance to play with it any more in the last week. We we're on the boat today but I just ran it on the paddlewheel or RPM and it was back to being just plain "OK".  We'll be back out there tomorrow and I think ill try relocating the GPS puck and see if I can get better results from it.   I also check the speedo cal today running on the paddlewheel vs my handheld chartplotter and found my speedometer was significantly off so I need to try and dial the speedo calibration in... I started thinking maybe the Cruise was using data from both sources and getting freaked out by the descripency off paddle vs gps speed?  I guess that shouldnt really be the issue because it would be normal to see deviations in speed readings anytime your running in water that has any substantial current so the system I would think should be able to handle it just fine. 

Any way, thanks again for your tips, hopefully I have some time to mess with it tomorrow and see if I can make some progress. 

Also reguarding the switch... I tested it without the switch in the circuit to rule that out as a possible issue... I removed  the switch and made too short jumpers and hooked the whites together and then the blues together to "hardwire" it in GPS mode...  The boat behaved exactly the same as with the switch in place so I dont think my switch has anything to do with it.  I also unplugged all 4 wire leads and the boat was back to its old self running on the paddlewheel sensor. 

Apoko,

OK.  The only other thing I can think of is metal above the puck.  I remember one time I was in GPS cruise and I was driving very close to a steep cliff and the boat started surging with the speed.  The only thing I could think of that caused that issue at that specific time was loss of the satellite signal because of being so close to that steep obstruction and the little bit of metal that is in the windshield support structure.  Your dash top should be the same as mine, plastic and vinyl, the puck should work below it as mine does.  Make sure you have the puck all the way up under the dash top plastic.

Good luck, sorry your install is having issues.

G

On 5/25/2016 at 1:01 PM, APoko said:

I can get a picture in a '13 this weekend; There is a possibility I can get a picture tomorrow. As soon as I get it, I'll post it.
As promised, here are pictures from a '13 VLX that has been "upgraded". The GPS was holding perfect at 5 MPH, 18 MPH, and anything else we told it to today.

Puck location:
574e6bc15b519_GPSpuck-1.thumb.jpg.f94559

Puck label:
574e6bca6ab7e_GPSpucklabel.thumb.jpg.3bd

Puck "general" location (wide angle):
574e6bcfc66fe_pucklocation.thumb.jpg.e5a

You'll find a specific spot for the GPS antenna, a flat spot cast in to the fiberglass specifically for the mounting hardware.

5 hours ago, Web said:

Where does the toggle switch mount?

I believe the instructions said to drill a hole in the trim below the throttle; I'd rather zip-tie the switch to the wiring harness and only switch it when I had to. (and save the boat from any upholstery damage)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, Quick update...

I finally got my GPS cruise all sorted out. As suspected it was entirely related to the location at which I had the GPS puck mounted.  I originally had it up under the dash cowel which turned out to be a bad location.  After talking to Malibu and Medallion about the issue they gave me a few tips and I was ultimatly able to move the puck to the correct location and I now have it working with very good results.  The GPS "puck" is apparently extremly sensitive to electrical interference and where I originally had it mounted it was picking up electrical noise from all the other electronics around the helm.   Here is a quick sketch below showing where I ended up mounting the puck.  At the "good" location I did find the thick fiberglass mounting pad on the underside of the top deck which I believe is the factory mounting location for the GPS puck.  In order to access this area on my boat I had to remove the storage compartment behind the bow seat on the drivers side.

The cruise is now maintaining speed at about +/- 0.1 mph at just about any speed which makes me pretty happy!

20160613_085930_zpsxjeuiwkn.png

• Like 3

I would like to install on 2014 23 lsv.  called my dealer, they want 690 for the kit? this seems steep.  I looked at NP wake, they are out of stock, any other sources for parts?  Anybody know of any differences on the 14 lsv for install?

I managed to damage my paddle wheel, rather than replace, thought I would change to gps and avoid another potential damaged part.  

4 minutes ago, cpmalibu said:

I would like to install on 2014 23 lsv.  called my dealer, they want 690 for the kit? this seems steep.  I looked at NP wake, they are out of stock, any other sources for parts?  Anybody know of any differences on the 14 lsv for install?

I managed to damage my paddle wheel, rather than replace, thought I would change to gps and avoid another potential damaged part.  

From earlier in this thread:

The parts total is $505.90. If they want $690 that leaves $184.10 which sure seems like 1.5 hrs of shop labor at $120/hr and rounding error on the change for shipping. As long as the $690 is an installed price and they can turn it around quickly, then it not a bad deal. I think many members of TMC might opt to do the install themselves; this one isn't difficult (especially if you don't want to drill in to upholstery to install the toggle switch).

6 minutes ago, cpmalibu said:

They wanted 980 for install.  690 was just parts.  

let me clarify.  980 total for installed system.  690 parts.  290 for install. 

I'd ask for a line item listing prices, but it sounds like it's waaaay off. Even with shipping, another dealer should be able to get you a better price assuming there isn't much difference from what I linked above (from page #1).

On June 13, 2016 at 8:34 AM, APoko said:

Ok, Quick update...

I finally got my GPS cruise all sorted out. As suspected it was entirely related to the location at which I had the GPS puck mounted.  I originally had it up under the dash cowel which turned out to be a bad location.  After talking to Malibu and Medallion about the issue they gave me a few tips and I was ultimatly able to move the puck to the correct location and I now have it working with very good results.  The GPS "puck" is apparently extremly sensitive to electrical interference and where I originally had it mounted it was picking up electrical noise from all the other electronics around the helm.   Here is a quick sketch below showing where I ended up mounting the puck.  At the "good" location I did find the thick fiberglass mounting pad on the underside of the top deck which I believe is the factory mounting location for the GPS puck.  In order to access this area on my boat I had to remove the storage compartment behind the bow seat on the drivers side.

The cruise is now maintaining speed at about +/- 0.1 mph at just about any speed which makes me pretty happy!

20160613_085930_zpsxjeuiwkn.png

A huge thanks to @Fman for detailing the wire harness location and to @gordon20mxz for the detailed pics. This really helped with my install. The final shout out goes to @APoko as I too was experiencing similar issues regarding the GPS interference and the diagram solved my problem. 

One question for APoko or others that have mounted the puck further up the gunwale - how did you actually mount the puck?  I used a 3M double sided adhesive because I was worried screws would go through the fiberglass, but I don't think my 3M solution will work long term. Do I need need to epoxy, or would a silicone adhesive be a better fit since it could be removed if needed?

58 minutes ago, sounddude03 said:

One question for APoko or others that have mounted the puck further up the gunwale - how did you actually mount the puck?  I used a 3M double sided adhesive because I was worried screws would go through the fiberglass, but I don't think my 3M solution will work long term. Do I need need to epoxy, or would a silicone adhesive be a better fit since it could be removed if needed?

Mine had an area on the inside of the fiberglass about 3"x6" that was visibly thicker than the rest of the surrounding area.  I carefully drilled 2 pilot holes there and mounted the puck with a couple short stainless steel screws.

Apoko,

Thanks for the picture of the mounting location in front of the windshield and the information you picked up form Medallion and Malibu.  I never permanently mounted my puck under the dash, so now I am going to try to get it more forward under the fiberglass where you marked.

Thanks,

G

• 2 weeks later...

APoko figure out the final piece to the puzzle when he got the mounting information form Malibu and medallion.  When I figured out the part numbers last year, I did not manage to get the proper mounting and location information so I just had my GPS puck pushed up under the dash.  Last weekend I used the information provided by APoko to complete the install.  Although I did not have as much electrical interference as others have described, after moving the puck my GPS cruise worked perfectly!

During the install I found that the harness has the extra length you need rolled up under the dash.  This length allows you to get to the fiberglass deck in front of the windshield and allow the switch to stay under the helm.

Some pictures

1 insert out labelled.jpg

2 area of thicker fiberglass labelled.jpg

3 outside deck labelled.jpg

4 hole under helm tp pass harness copy.jpg

5 harness pased through by sub woofer.jpg

More pictures.

It was a bit tough working through the hole, upside down, looking up and towards the front of the boat.  But it was worth it.  The added thickness of the fiberglass in this area allowed me to use a #8 stainless wood screw 1/2" long without going through the top deck.  I started out withe a 3/8" long screw as a precaution.  Drilled a small pilot hole carefully just to be able to start the screw.

Under the helm I did not want to drill more holes to pass the switch wires and mount the bracket.  So I just allowed the wires to pass through the large wall hole that is already there and used one of the screw holes form that USB thing that is mounted there to hold my switch.

Where the harness wires come off of the puck mounted under the deck, I used a cable tie to make a short area of laxity in the wires to take the strain off the bottom of the harness connector.  I used a cable tie to hold the wires to one of the ballast hoses that was on the hull wall directly next to the puck.  (I don't have a picture of that).

6 gps antenna screwed to fiberglass labelled.jpg

7 switch mounted labelled.jpg

10 minutes ago, APoko said:

@gordon20mxz Good follow up man, thanks for adding the pictures!   Hopefully this thread will continue to be a useful resource for others. 

APoko,

This has been a great thread for what I think is a great upgrade to the boat.  Thanks for your work and your input.

G

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old topic to simply thank all of those who helped pioneer this. Got the parts today, install took all of 20 minutes specifically because of this post!