Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Loud shudder then loss of gear control

I have a 2004 vlx with 412 hours. I have never had a serious problem until this last trip. Boat ran fine all day and while leaving a no wake zone and accelerating we felt and heard a loud shudder. My first thought was that I had ran over a ski line or something wrapped around the prop. I dove under and saw that the prop was unmanaged and intact. I moved the prop back and forth with some resistance. I started the motor back up and engaged the gears both forward and reverse which caused a loud banging noise. Another attempt revealed no movement at all, stuck in neutral, no noise. The V drive oil was on the low mark when checked, the transmission fluid is clean and at the correct level. We troubleshooted for a while with no positive results. Sometimes the shaft would engage with loud noised and other times not engage at all. Boat is on the trailer and I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.