Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winter Storage - Heated vs Unheated...... benefits?

jacobaa

Hello Fellas, I'm new to the Malibu family and loving every minute of it!

Have new 2014 VLX, and thinking about dreaded winter storage. Live in Ontario Canada so winters are long and cold.

I've been through several posts regarding winterization but yet to come across the benefits (if any) of heated storage vers cold.

Whether heated or not I will still winterize engine/ballast/heater......

I’m assuming heated storage (approx deg 10C / 50F) would be better for the fibreglass, upholstery, gel coat, etc and longevity but I'm unsure if there is actually any benefits at all?

I have the option of heated indoor storage ($$$), unheated indoor storage ($$) or outdoor shrink wrapped ($).

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Unheated indoor storage. Not a whole lot of benefit to heated storage, other than not cracking a block due to poor winterization. Most will still winterize in case the heat goes out. Not a fan of the shrink wrap. The boat is still exposed to the weather. As long as the boat is out of the sun, rain and snow you will be in good shape.

Edited by Simo

I can't quantify this, but there is the benefit you mentioned to things like vinyl when heated. I have always stored my boat in caves (they stay 60 degrees). But, I usually pull it out as earlier as I can in the spring when temps can still get cold, and 2 years ago my old vinyl cracked into a spider web shape while in my driveway after I stepped on it. I don't think it would have done that had it not been in colder temps at the time. That being said, my vinyl was nearing the end of its life anyways, but in that particular area, there was only a small nick.

I wouldn't pay much more for heated storage, but I'd entertain the thought if you have that option. With all that said, this is my first year of having a lift on the water and I'm thinking we may not pull the boat off the lake this coming winter.

With Simo and Bill on this one. If you are not going to be working in it during the off season why waste the money to heat it. If you need to work in it an extension cord for a light or drill for a ballast upgrade or a shop vac will most likely be all you will need.

As said even if heated I still winterize. Just can't take the chance of heat failure! Last year was the first year my 07 ever spent the winter in a non heated garage.

So nice yes but no less prep for the off season for me.

Great question. I was wondering this myself as it's a consideration for me depending on what size boat I end up going with.

I'm getting the overall idea that as long as it's winterized properly the boat would hold up well in my unheated garage (Vancouver area so we don't get the cold the rest of the country gets, eh).

I'm in Minnesota and I winterize my boat and do indoor heated storage. Boats are such a huge investment, and winters around here are so hard on everything. Will my vinyl and last longer because of it? I have no idea, but I have much better piece of mind paying a couple hundred bucks more to protect my investment during our 5 months of freezing. IMO it's not good for anything to be sitting in below zero temperatures for a long period of time. Things shrink and move and shift when it gets that cold out, so I'll stick with my indoor heated, and plan on more longevity out of my boat.

I invested in a tent shelter 13 years ago, and still use the shipping cover that came with the boat. All is still well and never a problem.

If I lived in freezing conditions I would pay extra and go heated garage. I'm a believer these new boats will all the electronics don't like freezing weather. Would you leave your laptop out in a freezing garage all winter?

Electronics would be my last concern. I have lived in far worst areas then I do now and electronics just have never been an issue. Us lucky people who get to enjoy cold don't even give it much thought. We see many more mechanical failures due to cold. The auto industry does so much research in cold and once again its not electronics that fail. Moisture, corrosion , dirt all have a bigger effect on electronics JMHO.

Have to disagree with that statement, but hey its his boat, if it were me I would go heated garage. Go put you new mac laptop out in sub zero weather all winter and see how it likes it.

Edited by Fman

Kept my Sanger in an unheated garage more than 10 yrs - seldom got below 40 degrees inside here in western WA. Kept boat covered and a shop light with 75 watt bulb in bilge. Also kept one of those electric dehumidifiers under the cover. Thought I would get smart and safer and added a "UL Listed" block heater that attached to the side of the block by a big magnet. Three or four winters of use and one day smelled that scary burning up electrical odor in the garage. Block heater had failed and was melting and smoking when I found it. Went back to the good old reliable shop light after that. Just out of curiosity put a thermometer on top of the motor one winter. Always a toasty 60-65 degrees when I checked it. Never winterized because we are crazy year round dry suit skiers - do our best to get out at least 1-2 times a month if/when the sun shines. Bring a big ice chest full of hot water to turn our feet back from blue to pink between sets.

Hey Red, Maybe you should check out a bilge heater actually built for the purpose. Both safe & effective. Companies like Boatsafe & Xtreme make them specifically for ski boats. Available at a marine store near you.

• Like 1

Hey Red, Maybe you should check out a bilge heater actually built for the purpose. Both safe & effective. Companies like Boatsafe & Xtreme make them specifically for ski boats. Available at a marine store near you.

Go figure! Wish I had known this before I sold my friend! Thanks for the info Bill!

• Like 1

we have stored in Maine for over 30 years, routinely miserable winters, outside, inside, shrink wrapped, and only once in a heated garage. as others mentioned is you need to be working on the boat, go heated. otherwise the biggest benefit to indoor storage is its cleaner in the spring. last year we shrinkwrapped with a new guy, wont make that mistake again. If you are going to shrink wrap and store outdoors, make sure the wrap goes all the way to the trailer, and has a ridge like a roof that is not supported by anything resting on any interior surfaces. I use yoga mats to protect the swim deck and carpet, and the front support rests on the trailer.

We winterize and store in an indoor heated garage. My dad has done this at the same place for past 20 years and his 96 Malibu he bought new still looks great. Obviously he takes care of it but whether or not the heated aspect helped we'll never know, but it's worked for him so we're doing the same with our 2015 Axis in hopes it looks just as good in 20 years.