Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 VLX Bow Ballast Install (newbie)

endostrat

I just finished my bow ballast install and I think it will be worth it. First off, I would like to thank FMAN for all his help and expertise. I copied what he did, why change a good thing? I think it turned out really well, and my wife said that it didn't look "ghetto" which is her way of saying good job. This was my first experience with moving hoses around and running electrical. Enjoy the photos and if there is anything I missed, please let me know.

Johnson reversible pump mounted in the transmission area. I used the 3/4" drain plug to feed the pump.

post-28119-0-16605800-1440191922_thumb.j

Blue Sea Distribution block. I chose this just in case I want to add more switches in the future. It connects to the common on the Perko with a 100 amp inline fuse.

post-28119-0-40729500-1440191935_thumb.j

I don't have the brass ones of FMAN to cut into the vinyl. I had a switch plate made for the rocker switch with the possibility of adding more in the future.

post-28119-0-54136500-1440191949_thumb.j

I used a WYE to vent out the starboard and complete the loop. This allows for continuous flow in case the switch is turned on accidentally.

post-28119-0-71012600-1440192081_thumb.j

Barely noticeable when tucked under the gunwale.

post-28119-0-43623200-1440192124_thumb.j

Spring Clamp to hold under gunwale when not in use.

post-28119-0-66757800-1440192356_thumb.j

Final setup with everything connected. I used a shut off valve instead of a check valve to make sure I don't lose water while moving.

post-28119-0-92264900-1440192452_thumb.j

• Like 2

I purchased 40 ft and I didn't have much leftover. I ran it up the starboard side gunwale and avoided the floor all together. I spent about $450 dollars, but I ordered a few other things to vent the rear sacs. It would be less. I went with the 12 gauge wakemakers wire and their pre configured switches. Made the electrical easy as far as running the switch. Works perfect and fills pretty quickly. Really impressed so far.

I purchased 40 ft and I didn't have much leftover. I ran it up the starboard side gunwale and avoided the floor all together. I spent about $450 dollars, but I ordered a few other things to vent the rear sacs. It would be less. I went with the 12 gauge wakemakers wire and their pre configured switches. Made the electrical easy as far as running the switch. Works perfect and fills pretty quickly. Really impressed so far.

Ala-carte or one of their packages?

I went al a carte. I didn't need some of the things in the package, and needed a few other things not in the package. It may be a wash as far as price. Wakemakers have been really helpful when I have called and spoken with them.

WAs the 40ft just for the bow install? Including the vent for the bag and the hose for accidental pump on over flow out the side? I am doing this mod this winter. Also what size rear bags do you have and do they fill all the way still with them vented? I have 750's and am not sure if vent them my factory vent will be above water line of bag so they still full all the way.

Thanks

WAs the 40ft just for the bow install? Including the vent for the bag and the hose for accidental pump on over flow out the side? I am doing this mod this winter. Also what size rear bags do you have and do they fill all the way still with them vented? I have 750's and am not sure if vent them my factory vent will be above water line of bag so they still full all the way.Thanks

The 40 feet was just for the bow install, venting, and connecting the bow sac. I had to order an extra 15 feet for the rear sac venting, of which I have an extra 3-4 feet, give or take. I have 900's in the back, and I know they don't get all the way full, and I'm ok with that. The vent line is on the top with a one-way check valve. Using the setup yesterday worked well, and the bags were really full before water started coming out the hull. I don't how full they really are. I'll have to do some more research on that.

I have PnP in the back. My fill line is the stern most port and the vent is more forward. I had to make my fill line a little longer to get to the stern port. I'll post a picture today so you can see. The venting was super easy. No leaks as far as I can tell at this point.