Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stock Sub enclosure question

dielawn

Hi Team,

Has anyone actually pulled out the stock sub enclosure (on any of their 2014-2015 boats) and attempted the resealing/refurbishment of it? Does it sound better? Did it make a difference? Should others like myself just re-do the enclosure all together? I wasn't planning on replacing the sub, but if pulling out the enclosure and doing a little Liner spray on the inside and outside will do the trick, i'm willing... Let me know your thoughts.

Yes!!! Seal the box makes a big difference!!! I also added a better amp but used the stock sub and box and sounds 10 times better than it did!!!

I used the exile javelin amp to power the sub and cabin speakers in my 2014 vlx everything sounds 10 times better! Use Samson sports!

Hi Team,

Has anyone actually pulled out the stock sub enclosure (on any of their 2014-2015 boats) and attempted the resealing/refurbishment of it? Does it sound better? Did it make a difference? Should others like myself just re-do the enclosure all together? I wasn't planning on replacing the sub, but if pulling out the enclosure and doing a little Liner spray on the inside and outside will do the trick, i'm willing... Let me know your thoughts.

I scrap them for 2 simple reasons. 1) its too small IMO. The woofer is going to be very "peaky" and basically a one note wonder. Building an enclosure thats a little larger allows the woofer to be more mellow and more musical. 2) the enclosure is made from HDPE. Its hard to find a good thick sealer thats going to bond to it and fill the gaps.

I went down to the local auto audio shop and bought a basic $50 slot ported sub box (1.5cf), installed the factory sub in it and it made a huge difference. I just slid the 17"x17"x15" sub box under the helm and left the carpet wall off for now.

Thanks Team,

all good information. I guess attempting to reseal the stock box is a solid first step, and it can be done on the cheap. And if all else fails or the box doesnt work up to my standard, then Ill just replace it with that Qpower box on amazon.