Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf gate made it fun again

wheelman

Yes And I don't like my wave at 11.8. Too Short and soft.

We run 12.6 with wedge and less weight then you describe. I've been super tempted to bump the speed even more to gain a little more length the wave is tall enough and rampy enough we could afford to loose a little of that.

Full factory MLS

1400 custom sack

500 lead divided 150 bow surf side, 150 under observer seat, , 200 rear locker.

Wedge- 12.6 mph

Things make better sense to me.

Yes I ran all mls also and the wedge usually all the way down to keep the wave longer but at times 1 or 2 clicks up and that was my heaviest weight and like I said many configurations that would equal out to very close to yours The only thing I ever wanted better out of my listed wave was a longer wave, sounds like you are trying to do this also. I feel like I have achieved this with my new wave. My speed and your speed tells nothing though cause explain this one I ride in 2 different water ways one at my lake house and one at my local water way. I would have exactly a 1 mph difference between water ways constantly. So one I would ride 11.8 and the other 12.8. Same weight same set up same everything. 800 ft of elevation between the two. I also have never seen two boats use the exact same speed. Too many variables. Any faster on my boat and I lost too much push. I have no desire to surf a huge short wall. Not that i am saying my listed one was but always thought it could be longer. I fully agree that a surf gate wave feels different and on my first ride behind the boat I noticed this but after 14 days straight of riding it I was more than happy with it and felt like I did not give up anything and gained a bunch of other dimensions I didn't have before. I believe you definitely favour what you ride all the time and are used too. So one or two rides behind any boat here and there I don't think give you enough time to get used to it.

Edited by wheelman

Yes and what I'm saying is that within two seconds I can tell I'm riding a soft wave.... Which means so much (to me). I don't need 14 sessions behind one to know that. Can you compare the firmness of the two waves?

My speed is checked with the gps on my phone and I haven't had to adjust it for different lakes or even the Columbia river up or down (yet).... So it won't make sense to compare speeds with you I guess. All I know is one mph too slow makes a huge difference for me. I'm not convinced we can compare set ups as I can go up 1 mph and not loose that much push... Lol my wife didn't have the speed on and I was surfing over 15 one time... Granted I was pumping like crazy to keep up. It was a comedy show for sure :lol:

As far as the length is concerned it's actually the longest I've ridden ever except for Baws.... So when I'm saying I'm trying to get it longer that's what I'm comparing it to.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

I just wanna know why the "surf army" has to chime in every time someone talks up a gated surf wave.

Yeah, we get it. You guys have the worlds best wave and you list your boat and that is the only way that a true surfer would ever do it...blah blah blah

Why be a Debbie downer on a guy that just bought a sick new boat and loves his wave?

Move on....

• Like 3

All- I didn't mean to derail the thread. In truth I'm really just curious and like I said respect wheelmans point of view. My questions were off topic and I saw this and took my questions to PM.

Carry on- wheelman post some pics when you can figure it out. Love to see it.0

while non-sporting behind a SG wave today I made three transfers in one run... stoked!

(on my wife's soulcraft emily which I only just thought to try after almost two seasons)

• Like 2

while non-sporting behind a SG wave today I made three transfers in one run... stoked!

(on my wife's soulcraft emily which I only just thought to try after almost two seasons)

hows it ride?!?!!?

For sure Tims.

Now that said I got to ride behind a 2015 centurion FS33 thanks to NWBS. We rode listed and dang if it wasn't really close to my wave. Not quite as good but close enough that with a little work it would match or beat it. The Ramfill works awesome imho. He pulled me up then started filling.... :lol: took only 30 seconds? Before I had a surf able wave.

We didn't try the surf system though it was equipped.

OK, got a wave twice as good as that day we were out! Full Ramfill on both sides (weighted evenly), 800 lbs of lead evenly, 4 people in the boat, Quicksurf Pro tab 75% surf left. Wave is unreal. Much better than the day we went out. Thick curl to it! Gotta get you guys back out, soon! Basically, weight even like surfgate and use the Quicksurf Pro tabs side to side. Learned a few things since the day we went out. Have to fill the Ramfills at 15-20 MPH to really stuff the tanks full, not 11 MPH. This way the water will come out the vents. My guess is we didn't have the tanks full that day :(

Here is from the other day:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/NW-Boat-Sports/227792007306783

• Like 2

OK, got a wave twice as good as that day we were out! Full Ramfill on both sides (weighted evenly), 800 lbs of lead evenly, 4 people in the boat, Quicksurf Pro tab 75% surf left. Wave is unreal. Much better than the day we went out. Thick curl to it! Gotta get you guys back out, soon! Basically, weight even like surfgate and use the Quicksurf Pro tabs side to side. Learned a few things since the day we went out. Have to fill the Ramfills at 15-20 MPH to really stuff the tanks full, not 11 MPH. This way the water will come out the vents. My guess is we didn't have the tanks full that day :(

Here is from the other day:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/NW-Boat-Sports/227792007306783

lets do it. I'm all in!

OP, that is awesome! How did you have it weighted? I missed that part...

Full mls 750's in lockers 650 bow triangle and around 300 to 400lbs of lead and gear in coffin for prop offset. Wedge 3 clicks down from stow and speed 11.2. Still tweaking and will try more speed next time.

Why be a Debbie downer on a guy that just bought a sick new boat and loves his wave?

Kinda what I was wondering. Definitely a ganged up thunderstorm on the Op's parade. Lol

Anyway - back to the op's post - glad you are enjoying the change! Every time I see a gated boat I start doing the math in my head about trading up. Lol

I have a question though... Did you ever try something like Wicked Wave etc on a previous non-gated boat? I'm super curious if you compared listed, vs "clip on surf gate" vs real surf gate.

And also, think you would ever try listing your boat, with this hull, to compare?

Kinda what I was wondering. Definitely a ganged up thunderstorm on the Op's parade. Lol

Anyway - back to the op's post - glad you are enjoying the change! Every time I see a gated boat I start doing the math in my head about trading up. Lol

I have a question though... Did you ever try something like Wicked Wave etc on a previous non-gated boat? I'm super curious if you compared listed, vs "clip on surf gate" vs real surf gate.

And also, think you would ever try listing your boat, with this hull, to compare?

There was no debbie downer going on, you guys were taking it the wrong way. Thanks anyway, and yes I am enjoying the new boat. I never tried any aftermarket gate. I do cheat my regular wave ever so slightly to try and counter the prop torqe a bit, it is not enough to give me any noticable list. I don't think I will ever try fully listing it for a few reasons, I am super happy with the wave as it is, I do not have enough weight to be able to list enough for a fair comparison(all old sacs went with old boat) and probably biggest reason is the wife would kill me!," Hey honey you know the new boat that I sold you on buy saying we can drive non listed and you and the kids can sit anywhere you want, well I am now gonna list it". :lol: Listed waves are great and I did not buy a new surf gate boat just for surf gate. It was just time for me to buy an new boat and capitalize on a sale on my old boat and a deal on a new one. All the other pros that came with surf gate for me was just an added bonus. I am not one to keep something for ever and am always trying to find the best financial exit and entry point. Just my opinion but as years go on and older non surf system boats get older and used surf system boats gets cheaper what is gonna sell easier? Yes there is die hard listers out there, I used to be one, but its a small majority and I believe the sport will progress to more transfer tricks and ease of switching sides. Now an aftermarket quality surf transfer system to retro fit boats could totally prove me wrong? Edited by wheelman
  • Like 2

I'm sorry it was taken that way. It wasn't my intent.

Lbj,

Just curious have you tried a gated wave at 12.6~12.8. The speed you normally ride? Very few of us would be going that fast with gated wave. Only reason i ask, is you commented YOUR wave is soft at 11.8, that is much closer to normal gated speed. I typically am 11.3, and am far from an expert.

Just curious...