Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf gate made it fun again

wheelman

Oh ya I did :lol: besides as the crow flies he lives close enough..... Getting there by car is waaaay harder then it should be. It's like he lives in another state.... No I5 direct access to his area

And I'm positive it's better. At least -BS- thinks so so I trust that opinion. We have similar thinking and he's a better rider than I am anyway.

None of this can be in any way related to your skill level, can it?

That not going to happen. I am pretty sure I've at minimum irritated every SG owner out there :lol:

Besides to me it's more than that. Riding regular I can't do any airs behind one, can't carry enough speed for super wide bottom turns. Heck when I'm resting I've gotten in the habit of taking a knee on the board... Can't do that either. Riding SG has me pumping so much I've gotten side aches like when jogging. Sure I can cruise all day, do 3s, even a transfer..... But that's it? I kinda doubt I can even do a frontside.... No lip.

So maybe it just equates to riding style. I'm sure some of it equates to my board plenty fast enough behind a listed wave, not fast enough for an SG wave.

I've had the exact opposite exp. The bottom cut on the SG waves have been a much stronger than my exp in listed. Mind you my listed exp is MBs, Malibus and tiges. They do have better lips, but I feel like I can't really go to a deep bottom cut on them the way I can on an SG wave. I also ride goofy, so maybe that's part of it

I'm by no means a surfer, but have done it quite a few times behind a variety of boats. In my opinion, SG is mostly good for quick transitions from a goofy wave to a regular wave. And it makes the boat safer without the rubrail under water.

But a neighbor of mine made the jump from an 08 VLX to a 15 G23. The wave on that thing is friggin HUGE...and the transition from one side to the other is just as quick. Plus it doesn't matter where everyone sits in the boat. I can see someone making the same statement about that boat too....making it fun again.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I've had the exact opposite exp. The bottom cut on the SG waves have been a much stronger than my exp in listed. Mind you my listed exp is MBs, Malibus and tiges. They do have better lips, but I feel like I can't really go to a deep bottom cut on them the way I can on an SG wave. I also ride goofy, so maybe that's part of it

I can see every time that the goofy wave looks better... Much better on an SG boat. So I can see that.

I think IXFE is producing a much better wave out of his 2015 LSV than his 2013 VLX. Might be worth another outing with him (if you haven't pissed him off). :)

Yeah no doubt he is. No argument there. And it's a good wave for sure! (I rode once behind a 2015 LSV with IXFE) But to compare it to LBJ's or Baws'? Uhhh no. Not in that category. Not to be mean, but it's really not close.

Now if we'd like to debate MY wave (09 vride) vs. a 2015 LSV with SG? I'd listen to that for sure. I think the 2015 LSV that I rode had enough potential (it wasn't fully dialed) that I could believe it could be better than mine. I'm not sure it was that day, but I could believe it could* be.

Anyway, just my 2 cents here. I'm not trying to derail this train....

Bs what makes you the all mighty decision maker of what a good wave is? we all get it you guys don't like Surf gate, you guys should stay out of these threads cause first of all I specifically said this thread wasn't about surf gate vs listed ' just how it opened up a whole new dimension of riding for me. You guys had to take it there. You guys must have some magical sauce for your waves if they are that different to my new wave. I had the same boat as lbj's for 3 years and have Had every combination of weight in it and pretty much exactly the same as he is running now and to say they are not even close to being In The same league is not even remotely fair. I mean no disrespect to you man but even when you say it's just your two cents after a blatant bash it may play on some people's minds and make them second think a decision to buy a great boat with a great wave. To each their own my friend! Let each person make the own non influenced decision.

ahopkins22LSV

I guess I don't understand why video would be necessary to prove what LBJ is saying. He CHOSE not to buy a SG boat less than 8 months ago. That should pretty much sum it up.

Pretty sure he was talking to the op, not LBJ... As that comment was made prior to him asking questions to LBJ.

@wheelman, glad you are having fun out there! But I would like to see the new boat too :biggrin:

Bs what makes you the all mighty decision maker of what a good wave is? we all get it you guys don't like Surf gate, you guys should stay out of these threads cause first of all I specifically said this thread wasn't about surf gate vs listed ' just how it opened up a whole new dimension of riding for me. You guys had to take it there. You guys must have some magical sauce for your waves if they are that different to my new wave. I had the same boat as lbj's for 3 years and have Had every combination of weight in it and pretty much exactly the same as he is running now and to say they are not even close to being In The same league is not even remotely fair. I mean no disrespect to you man but even when you say it's just your two cents after a blatant bash it may play on some people's minds and make them second think a decision to buy a great boat with a great wave. To each their own my friend! Let each person make the own non influenced decision.

Please don't try and stop this debate. These are the juices of life that keep us going. I enjoy it very much.

I consider it a discussion myself. Not even a debate. Maybe if wheelman were to describe why he like his surf gate wave better that would answer my question. I understand the part about riding goofy and the transfers etc.... But if he spoke about the qualities of the wave?

For example, what I like about my wave is that it is hard, tall and lippy. This allows for a ton of speed, airs, grabs 360s, 720s. Had guy ride a 360 shuv the other day.

Wheelman: what speed did you run your LSV when you surfed? Custom sack? Regular or goofy?

11.8 speed 1100 in rear 370 under seat 2 400's along seats 400 in bow, but I was never convinced it needed the extra bow weight and around 500lbs of lead.huge stereo in passenger compartment and 4 batteries This was the

Heaviest I ran and only if small crew.There was many other configurations also. Was a great wave. My natural

Ride is regular but I surfed it both sides frequently.

Edit. I am assuming you were asking about my 2010 lsv not my new one? That configuration as I'm sure you can tell was my 2010

Edited by wheelman

Still no pics? Wow...total buzzkill

Sorry I do not have a way to post pics. I did have a previous thread with a link to all pics and options of the boat when I first bought it but I just checked it and the link now takes you to a different boat.

Yes And I don't like my wave at 11.8. Too Short and soft.

We run 12.6 with wedge and less weight then you describe. I've been super tempted to bump the speed even more to gain a little more length the wave is tall enough and rampy enough we could afford to loose a little of that.

Full factory MLS

1400 custom sack

500 lead divided 150 bow surf side, 150 under observer seat, , 200 rear locker.

Wedge- 12.6 mph

Things make better sense to me.

Lol good one teamerickson.

I'm all for technology. That is when it's actually an improvement in our lives ;)

Like bluetooth headsets, the shake weight, and those hot sandwich makers that squish and seal the bread together!

• Like 1

Like bluetooth headsets, the shake weight, and those hot sandwich makers that squish and seal the bread together!

No, no, I think he was referring to things like tapatalk!

• Like 2