Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf gate made it fun again

wheelman

What I've found is a good listed wave is steeper and lippier, you really have to absorb the wave as you carve hard into it with your knees and hips. They have a ton of push in the wave itself. Where a good surfgate wave is a little more mellow on the steepness, the carves are a little easier but they lack as much of a lip. The key thing I like about a surfgate wave over a listed one is the trough seems to have more push, allowing me to carve out harder and farther than on a listed wave. Each has it's positives for sure, but I think the ability to change sides quickly and easily makes up for a smaller lip. I enjoy my surgate wave more than most listed ones I've ridden

• Like 2

I would say that surf systems of all types have certainly added new excitement to surfing and boating in general. I love the ease of Surf Gate. We have not tried to transfer yet. But this weekend we plan to try to ride goofy.

I really like the idea of not having to list the boat and I've been considering adding some form of surfgate. I've heard the surfgate setup requires filling both sides with ballast therefore twice the weight and therefore more power and more fuel. Is that corect?

I really like the idea of not having to list the boat and I've been considering adding some form of surfgate. I've heard the surfgate setup requires filling both sides with ballast therefore twice the weight and therefore more power and more fuel. Is that corect?

Basically, you have to evenly weight the back of the boat because the surf gate paddle has to be in the water on the opposite side of the side you are going to surf on. If you list to your surf side too much you will lift the opposite side rear hull out to the water and your paddle will not be in the water to create the delayed convergence effect.

Having said that, some guys, even with surf gate will keep a little more weight on the the surfing side of the boat.

Regarding your comment about twice the weight and more fuel, I guess that would depend on your boat, your prop, your engine and the possibility you could use less weight when using a gate versus when you list? Difficult to answer that.

Hi-jack on:Afun,I have been away for a while. LOVE the new avatar! Who is that? Just a note: she don't need no stinkin' Sperrys.Hi-jack off.

My Avatar Theme...Ol' Skool Gals...so far Samantha Fox, Jessica Hahn, and now this hottie from that awesome show Fall Guy

Hi-Jack Off

martinarcher

So after many years of debate I finally bought a surf gate boat, 2015 lsv. I had been a bit hesitant over the years from buying one as I did not want to give up any wave quality over my very heavily listed 2010 23lsv and before that centurion enzo and had heard conflicting reports. Well let me tell you that I have found my new wave to be better than my old wave and a lot easier to do the same tricks on. Now this is not just me but also my regular crew that shares my experience. This is just our experience though and I am not trying to debate the listed vs surfgate wave, everyone has their own opinions and I was also very happy with my listed wave. Now to my point of the topic of this thread , my crew has been wakesurfing before wakesurfing was even a thing, I'm talking about 20 years ago on our ocean surf boards behind 1990's direct drive with rubber maid containers full of water for ballast. I am by far not the best wake surfer on this forum but I can hold my own but find as I get older my athlectic ability and learning curve is not once what it used to be, so I may never land that 360 shuvit or the harder tricks. Well I felt like a kid again trying to land my first transfer and spent just as much time riding goofy(I am regular) as I did regular. Was riding goofy ,back to the wave and switch so I am facing the wave,(this will be the harder one to perfect). My point to this is surf gate has opened up a whole new dimension to a sport that I have been doing for ever and love but felt like I was getting to a point where I may not advance any further. Do not get me wrong I still loved wakesurfing behind my listed boat but now I have a whole new bag of tricks to learn, hopefully one day I can land a 360 transfer. I figure I have another 20 years to pratice and have fun. Then bring on the pontoon boat!

Well said, I couldn't agree more. Doing surf transfers and surfing goofy has been a blast for me as well. I love it. The first time you land a ropeless transfer you've got the biggest grin on your face. I also love having goofy riders hop in the water and either pushing a button or handing them the remote control to instantly set the wave for them. :thumbup:

• Like 2

This thread really makes me wonder. Why can't I get a good ride in a SG boat? It has never happened. Literally they have ranged from just ok to pure cr@p. So much so that when I contemplated buying a '13 LSV my first mod would have been to unscrew the gates and actuators.

So what's up? (And yes we tried all different set ups moving weight around etc). My main complaint being that surfing regular there's no lip and the wave is soft. Great for 360s all day, horrible for speed/airs.

Anyone care to try to point out what I'm missing here?

The best I've ridden belongs to Bianchini- the one that's for sale. (Stunning boat by the way). His 14 VLX with 800s front and rear does pretty decent.

This thread really makes me wonder. Why can't I get a good ride in a SG boat? It has never happened. Literally they have ranged from just ok to pure cr@p. So much so that when I contemplated buying a '13 LSV my first mod would have been to unscrew the gates and actuators.

So what's up? (And yes we tried all different set ups moving weight around etc). My main complaint being that surfing regular there's no lip and the wave is soft. Great for 360s all day, horrible for speed/airs.

The best I've ridden belongs to Bianchini- the one that's for sale. (Stunning boat by the way). His 14 VLX with 800s front and rear does pretty decent.

I think a lot of that has to do with what you're used to. Get out and ride more SG boats.

I think a lot of that has to do with what you're used to. Get out and ride more SG boats.

That not going to happen. I am pretty sure I've at minimum irritated every SG owner out there :lol:

Besides to me it's more than that. Riding regular I can't do any airs behind one, can't carry enough speed for super wide bottom turns. Heck when I'm resting I've gotten in the habit of taking a knee on the board... Can't do that either. Riding SG has me pumping so much I've gotten side aches like when jogging. Sure I can cruise all day, do 3s, even a transfer..... But that's it? I kinda doubt I can even do a frontside.... No lip.

So maybe it just equates to riding style. I'm sure some of it equates to my board plenty fast enough behind a listed wave, not fast enough for an SG wave.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

I find this whole topic very interesting, here's why: I've been surfing since someone thought it was a good idea. I have a friend who owned a boardsports shop in the past and as soon as the first surfboard came in we were out on the water trying to figure it out. Unfortunately I didn't have the time that others did to get really good, I can ride regular and goofy, but even simple 360s and airs/jumps are something I'm just not able to pull of consistently. I'm always looking to get more time on the water, but I'm not in a place with my career and home life that I can make that happen (but it will change over the next few years).

With all that as a preface, I'd like to continue one of the underlying themes of TMC: "pictures, or it didn't happen" and suggest: "video, or it didn't happen"

Lance and others: I'd like to see some video of you riding both SG and non-SG boats. While the angles and such will be different, it give all of us two things: more data on wake size & shape as well as tips/tricks & what to do/not to do as we work on our abilities. For the videos to be valuable an initial shot or other overview of the ballast, wedge, SG, and any other relevant settings needs to be included. GoPro and drone video are awesome, but even simple smartphone video gives us something to compare to.

Lance: have you tried not deploying the SG and using ballast on a SG boat? What was the result? Don't assume you've irritated every SG boat owner, I'd be willing to host you on my SG boat since I'm always looking to improve both my skills and the quality of the ride my boat produces. Let me know if you're ever in "the dirty delta" area of NorCal and looking for a ride.

I find this whole topic very interesting, here's why: I've been surfing since someone thought it was a good idea. I have a friend who owned a boardsports shop in the past and as soon as the first surfboard came in we were out on the water trying to figure it out. Unfortunately I didn't have the time that others did to get really good, I can ride regular and goofy, but even simple 360s and airs/jumps are something I'm just not able to pull of consistently. I'm always looking to get more time on the water, but I'm not in a place with my career and home life that I can make that happen (but it will change over the next few years).

With all that as a preface, I'd like to continue one of the underlying themes of TMC: "pictures, or it didn't happen" and suggest: "video, or it didn't happen"

Lance and others: I'd like to see some video of you riding both SG and non-SG boats. While the angles and such will be different, it give all of us two things: more data on wake size & shape as well as tips/tricks & what to do/not to do as we work on our abilities. For the videos to be valuable an initial shot or other overview of the ballast, wedge, SG, and any other relevant settings needs to be included. GoPro and drone video are awesome, but even simple smartphone video gives us something to compare to.

Lance: have you tried not deploying the SG and using ballast on a SG boat? What was the result? Don't assume you've irritated every SG boat owner, I'd be willing to host you on my SG boat since I'm always looking to improve both my skills and the quality of the ride my boat produces. Let me know if you're ever in "the dirty delta" area of NorCal and looking for a ride.

I'd play for sure. I think I've got enough video from this summer to piece something together. As far as SG videos there's only one I'm aware of and it was done a few years ago behind IXFEs VLX. I've improved a bunch since that video :lol: it's still available you tube maybe. Edited by Lance B. Johnson

I think you should try a different surf system. MC Gen II or Swell. It would be interesting to see what you think.

• Like 2

I'd play for sure. I think I've got enough video from this summer to piece something together. As far as SG videos there's only one I'm aware of and it was done a few years ago behind IXFEs VLX. I've improved a bunch since that video :lol: it's still available you tube maybe.

I think IXFE is producing a much better wave out of his 2015 LSV than his 2013 VLX. Might be worth another outing with him (if you haven't pissed him off). :)

For sure Tims.

Now that said I got to ride behind a 2015 centurion FS33 thanks to NWBS. We rode listed and dang if it wasn't really close to my wave. Not quite as good but close enough that with a little work it would match or beat it. The Ramfill works awesome imho. He pulled me up then started filling....:lol: took only 30 seconds? Before I had a surf able wave.

We didn't try the surf system though it was equipped.

I think IXFE is producing a much better wave out of his 2015 LSV than his 2013 VLX. Might be worth another outing with him (if you haven't pissed him off). :)

Oh ya I did :lol: besides as the crow flies he lives close enough..... Getting there by car is waaaay harder then it should be. It's like he lives in another state.... No I5 direct access to his area

And I'm positive it's better. At least -BS- thinks so so I trust that opinion. We have similar thinking and he's a better rider than I am anyway.

I guess I don't understand why video would be necessary to prove what LBJ is saying. He CHOSE not to buy a SG boat less than 8 months ago. That should pretty much sum it up.

That said: I'm in the LBJ camp. And there's quite a few videos in the Wakesurfing Video thread of both of us. Or you can check out @surfarmy on Instagram. Plenty of pics and video there too. All behind listed boats.

Funny too, because I actually would be riding behind a SG boat today if I hadn't already made plans with friends on my boat. Next time IXFE!! Thanks again for the invite and enjoy your day on the water! :thumbup:

I am glad SG worked well for the OP though. That's awesome. I've never ever disputed that it's absolutely tailor made for some boaters.....

anyway......gotta get to the boat :thumbup:

• Like 2