Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
rcoman

Weird wake / spray from 2014 LSV

rcoman

Hello crew! Need some input on my 2014 bu. I just sold my 2011 LSV and bought a used 2014 LSV. Loving the surfgate and the deeper hull but the wake directly behind the boat while going 15-23 mph is really weird. It's coming together and causing a large "spray". It's so tall that I can't even see my kids kneeboarding. No ballast, not wedge. It's even their when someone is wakeboarding but not as tall. Does anyone know how I can get rid of this? Thanks!

image.jpg

rcoman

Here is a pic at 22 mph:

image_1.jpg

teamerickson

What engine and prop?

rcoman

Sorry, should have included that. Monsoon 350 with 1235 prop. I just bought the 2419, plan on changing it out tomorrow.

euroman

Looks like FAE spray, do you have that?

Pnwrider

Fae spray doesn't go that far back. Looks normal to me sorry to say. All the new wake boats seem to have a big rooster tail where the wakes converge.

euroman

Sorry, my bad. Thought it was right behind swim platform.

teamerickson

Does it get better when you plane out?

rcoman

It does not get better when I plane out, only gets better when I reach 26 mph+. I do not have the FAE exhaust currently on the boat but planning on installing one.

Fman

Are you running the wedge in that pic? It will throw up a rooster tail at slower speeds. How fast are you towing your rider? You can always lengthen the rope a little to get further back from the rooster tail. If your not using the wedge you can try filling the bow tank to reduce the bow rise a little which might help a little.

edit: I just read no wedge, at a lower speed (15-16) I can see this happening, but usually after 19+ this rooster tail mellows out and goes away. And you are confident the wedge is not being deployed???

Edited by Fman

isellacuras

+1 for bow ballast. IMO these boats need bow ballast for everything except cruising.

rcoman

I wil try filling the bow ballast to see if it helps.

boardjnky4

That rooster tail is normal. Gets worse with a lot of ballast.

pook77

My kids ride right behind the rooster tail and disappear. They also ride a really short rope (like 50') and only pull about 17.5 mph. Gets bigger with weight/wedge.

JasonK

Normal rooster tail. Even some direct drives (older ones) have it. V-drives always seem worse because of the prop shaft angle. This is why we don't shortline ski behind them. I've gotten a rooster tail right in the nuts before. Not fun!

turbonine

Looks perfectly normal to me. Just need to use longer rope.

rcoman

Great points guys. I'll lengthen the rope.