Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Non-wood wakeskate?

Badger

My wife would like to try a wake skate, but is nervous about hitting her head on the big chunk of wood. I've done a bit of research but can't find anything other than all-wood boards. Does anyone know if there is a beginner board out there made out of some softer material like a surfboard?

I dont think there are any built like a surf board, but you could try a foam top board. The only thimg about the foam top boards is that they don't really staymon your feet all that well. In the 9 or 10 years that my wife and I have been skating neither of us have taken a board to the head. ussually your going fadt enough that the board is well behind you when you fall. If your wife really wants to get into skating than get her a real board with grip tape and a pair of skate shoes. I prefer my compression molded board, my old wooden board was pretty heavy and waterlogged after two seasons.

I have a fiberglass one- Liquidforce Armada. I wouldn't recommend it. It is too light and "flies" away when you try to jump.

Its fun to free ride, but not much more.

• Like 1

Wood actually hurts less than the fiberglass boards. Also, wood is smoother on the water. Fiberglass boards vibrate a ton and you feel every single ripple in the water.

The weight and density of wood boards is much more forgiving and rides better too.

Thanks everyone. I showed my wife this and told her to suck it up and stop being a pansy!

That went over well.

I think that I'm going to order a cheap board with a foam top. Is there really any reason I should stay away from one of the $100 boards I see on-line?

http://www.the-house.com/wkhystyl4114zz-hyperlite-wakeskates.html

http://www.evo.com/wakeskates/liquid-force-focus-wakeskate.aspx?esvt=-&esvq=&esvadt=999999---1&esvcrea=49369065988&esvplace=&esvaid=30559#image=88284/389217/liquid-force-focus-wakeskate-2015-42-front.jpg&select=true&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&utm_campaign=EB-88284-1002

Thanks everyone. I showed my wife this and told her to suck it up and stop being a pansy!

That went over well.

I think that I'm going to order a cheap board with a foam top. Is there really any reason I should stay away from one of the $100 boards I see on-line?

http://www.the-house.com/wkhystyl4114zz-hyperlite-wakeskates.html

http://www.evo.com/wakeskates/liquid-force-focus-wakeskate.aspx?esvt=-&esvq=&esvadt=999999---1&esvcrea=49369065988&esvplace=&esvaid=30559#image=88284/389217/liquid-force-focus-wakeskate-2015-42-front.jpg&select=true&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&utm_campaign=EB-88284-1002

The $100 boards are flat on top. They are a lot harder control and ride.

Boards with concave tops make it way easier to control the board and edge.

To keep the price down, try to fins a board with a foam concave like the Hyperlite Paragon ($179) or Liquid Force Reflex ($139)

heads up: the Stylus does not have concave. the picture of the board is not the actual top of the board.

Also, the smaller the board the easier it is to control. a 40" board should be okay, but smaller will be better for her.

I ended up ordering the Liquid Force Reflex based on your suggestions. I ordered from BoardCo and paid $143 total including next day shipping so I can have it for the nice weather this weekend.

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...
On August 20, 2015 at 9:29 AM, Badger said:

I ended up ordering the Liquid Force Reflex based on your suggestions. I ordered from BoardCo and paid $143 total including next day shipping so I can have it for the nice weather this weekend.

How did you guys like this board and wakeskating? 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, just saw this.

i have absolutely no basis for comparison on boards so will be no help. I have fun getting up on the wake skate but suck at even the basic tricks. I'm old and afraid of tearing up a knee or getting a concussion from wakeboarding anymore, so this gives me a bit of a carving fix.