Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

T22 Sub Enclosure Upgrade

Anderson24

I have sp3 on my T22, and from much reading and forum support, I have found that all peices of the system are pretty adequately powered. I wasn't too impressed with the bass from the sub, so I decided to remove the stock enclosure and build a quality sealed sub box. I failed at taking pictures of the box build process, but it consisted of 3/4" marine grade birch glued and screwed, followed with a couple coats of resin. This modification is a must if you want to get the full potential out of your system. It is a night and day difference. The stock sub box was an absolute joke. It was constructed of Starboard material that had so many holes and open seams in it. I raised the new sub box off the floor with some 1.5" Delrin to keep it away from moisture. I finished off the kick panel by using some 1/4" aluminum and machining an axis logo to put on the front of it. Turned out pretty nice I think...

The lone picture...

post-27296-0-97793100-1440001022_thumb.j

• Like 2

Looks awesome. Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I'm an audio noob....where is the speaker/how does it 'breathe'? I always thought the sub faced/showed out to project the noise?

Looks awesome. Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I'm an audio noob....where is the speaker/how does it 'breathe'? I always thought the sub faced/showed out to project the noise?

It is a sealed sub, and is side-firing. From what I read this can help increase the sound of the bass since it kind of resonates through the hull. I am a total audio noob too...

We demand you take off the kick panel and take pictures! ;)

Trust me, it's not that impressive. Roughly 14x16x18. I didn't even paint it or anything. Just sealed it with resin/fiberglass. It looks quite ugly actually, hence the full kick panel. But that was the plan from the beginning...

Side question - what is knob next to your horn?

Next time I open it up I will snap a few pics. That knob is the factory fade control for the in boat speakers. I found it weird that they had that, along with a bass volume control, but nothing for the towers (I could fade on head unit). I installed a fader knob myself for the towers. It is was a cheap and temporary solution until I decide to install a WS-420.

I wish I had the skills/equipment to do all the mods youve been doing lately. The surf racks and the axis logo are legit. Awesome stuff man! You should sell this type of gear

I wish I had the skills/equipment to do all the mods youve been doing lately. The surf racks and the axis logo are legit. Awesome stuff man! You should sell this type of gear

Thank you. I truly appreciate it. I guess if there was a need or a want for some of this stuff I would consider it. I just did a seat riser too...maybe I will post up a pic of that too. It really is a sickness...I don't ever want to stop spending money/building things for the boat. And I fully blame TMC for this...

We are here for you! It is posts like yours that give others the great ideas. This is a self propagating addiction, hosted by a group of enablers....

Seriously nice work! I still love the side pull for kids, freaking genius!

We are here for you! It is posts like yours that give others the great ideas. This is a self propagating addiction, hosted by a group of enablers....

Seriously nice work! I still love the side pull for kids, freaking genius!

Woah, seriously. Share this and your seat riser!! Both mods I want to do this winter along with the sub enclosure. Well and I want the surf racks too lol. Hoping I can enlist one of my work guys to do something similar On our cnc.

• 2 weeks later...

Woah, seriously. Share this and your seat riser!! Both mods I want to do this winter along with the sub enclosure. Well and I want the surf racks too lol. Hoping I can enlist one of my work guys to do something similar On our cnc.

Sorry for the delay...here is the link for the surf pylon on the tower:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/56251-homemade-surf-pylon/#entry855506

I'll get some pics of the seat riser and post those up too this week.

Trust me, it's not that impressive. Roughly 14x16x18. I didn't even paint it or anything. Just sealed it with resin/fiberglass. It looks quite ugly actually, hence the full kick panel. But that was the plan from the beginning...

You say roughly 14x16x18. Is that LxWxH? Do you have the heater? If so did that restrict your box size? Any pics would be greatly appreciated. Ordering a '16 T22 and would love to start on the stereo build before it gets here. Thanks

Edited by ID AX

I actually think it was 14" deep, 16" tall, and 20" wide. It needed to be raised off the floor an inch or so in order to clear a hump in the floor (as it raises up and meets the side of the hull). And yes, I have the heater. I could be wrong and it is 16" tall and 14" deep, but if you make the box you can just rotate it to fit if I am wrong. If I open up the kick panel soon I will take the pics and verify the measurements.

Building a sealed box is a must with the stereo. You will see, the factory box is a joke. Hits much tighter and harder when properly sealed.

I actually think it was 14" deep, 16" tall, and 20" wide. It needed to be raised off the floor an inch or so in order to clear a hump in the floor (as it raises up and meets the side of the hull). And yes, I have the heater. I could be wrong and it is 16" tall and 14" deep, but if you make the box you can just rotate it to fit if I am wrong. If I open up the kick panel soon I will take the pics and verify the measurements.

Building a sealed box is a must with the stereo. You will see, the factory box is a joke. Hits much tighter and harder when properly sealed.

Thank you for the info and any pics in the future. I will be ordering SP1 or nothing and doing my own build. I did my own install on my '14 A22 because of the factory joke of a stereo. 3500$ for a under powered and untuned system. No thanks

I've got sp3. In my opinion the stereo is crazy loud and clear...I don't know what could make it better. Was able to work out a pretty slick deal with the dealer (that's how I was able to justify sp3). Everything I have researched shows it is powered properly (I could be wrong, I'm not an audiophile).

Not sure what options you are considering, I regretted not getting the z5 when I ordered the boat. I just added it a couple weeks ago. I hate regrets.

ID Ax, Don't compare your 14 setup with the 16. I have a '16 SP2 and I find it to be really really good.

What does sp2 on the axis include

Edited by powderski14