Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboarding config

BaBaLoO

Hey crew, just seeing how the guys who wakeboard more than surf weigh down their boats? I have a 09 lsv and have tried multiple configurations. Usually I run all stock ballast, wedge all the way down and a 1100lb sack on the floor as far back as I can with at least 4 ppl in the boat. I've also spread the weight out more by putting a 550 sac in the front, 750 in the walk through and 550 in the back. Just wondering what configs you have without using the wedge/with the wedge, speeds etc. would putting a 550 in each of the rear lockers and the 750 in the walk through make a huge difference? One thing I haven't tried is putting extra weight in the rear lockers. Just seeing if there's a better set up and maybe some pics?

Thanks

The way I setup the LSV and the way we were running a 2010 that I caught a ride on last week:

Factory ballast full

900 triangle in the bow

750 further back in the walkway

Dual 350’s on the floor in front of the back seat

450 on either side of the engine compartment

No wedge

Speed 23

I’m not a huge fan of the wake with the wedge down and like it a lot better with the boat weighted instead. If I get lazy we skip the 750 on the floor and move the 350’s a little further up and don’t fill the 450’s all the way. With the above setup the wake is big and firm. The boat definitely likes weight in the front. I myself wouldn’t put 550’s in the back unless you are putting even more weight than that in the front. It will make the wake lippier but it will make it a little softer.

I have an a22 but this is my setup. I run my factory 900 tanks, 600 sumo bags in rear, 950 sumo bow bag, 800 sumo flat sac in the cabin, 450 sumo back on top of that. No wedge.

If I run wedge, the 450 sumo sac goes into the bow.

I find that too many people add too much bow weight to compensate for the smaller engine to help plane out, but the more rear weight the better......if NOT running wedge!!!!!!

I have the ls3 and hi alt prop so I can weight it pretty much however I want.

I prefer no wedge because the wake is much more predictable.

However, my buddy has a 14' 23 lsv diamond hull. I used to hate that wake, and hate driving it until we finally found out the perfect ballast set up.

We ran full mls full. Added a fly high 1000lb bow bag, sumo 600's in the rear, and a sumo 600 in the cabin. With NO wedge. His wake is now right up there with my axis. His boat has a 409 with the 2315 prop.

FYI, I've had 600's, 750's, and 900's in my rear lockers and really did not notice any difference in weight or wake differences. The bigger bags just can't fill close to full. I stuck with 600's just because the fit perfectly and fill completely.

I run my A22 with stock full, 750's in rear lockers full, and my bow 900 full, with wedge. I have the Cinco prop. Wake is clean and big. Be interesting to pull up the wedge and see what that does. Note this setup is for my son and his friends.

When I WB I run no ballast and have done it with wedge and without. I'm not good enough on the WB to go wake to wake.........yet

The way I setup the LSV and the way we were running a 2010 that I caught a ride on last week:

Factory ballast full

900 triangle in the bow

750 further back in the walkway

Dual 350s on the floor in front of the back seat

450 on either side of the engine compartment

No wedge

Speed 23

Im not a huge fan of the wake with the wedge down and like it a lot better with the boat weighted instead. If I get lazy we skip the 750 on the floor and move the 350s a little further up and dont fill the 450s all the way. With the above setup the wake is big and firm. The boat definitely likes weight in the front. I myself wouldnt put 550s in the back unless you are putting even more weight than that in the front. It will make the wake lippier but it will make it a little softer.

Looks like I got some more playing around to do. I haven't put as much weight up front as you, 550 on top on the hard tank is it. Maybe I'll try 750 up front, and 550s in the rear lockers with full factory ballast. That leaves me with an extra 1100. How many ppl do you have with all that weight? Should I fill up the 1100 too? Running a HH with the acme 1433 I think? I know it's really close to the 1235

Looks like I got some more playing around to do. I haven't put as much weight up front as you, 550 on top on the hard tank is it. Maybe I'll try 750 up front, and 550s in the rear lockers with full factory ballast. That leaves me with an extra 1100. How many ppl do you have with all that weight? Should I fill up the 1100 too? Running a HH with the acme 1433 I think? I know it's really close to the 1235

Yeah it all has to do with playing around with the weight for what you like. What looks like a great wake from the boat may suck to you as a rider with it being too soft, too lippy, not lippy at all. I'd try the 750 up from and then the 550s in the rear. I run with 3-4 guys who are all right around 200. Depending on who you have in the boat I'd keep the 1100 on you and maybe fill it up and try it out to see if that changed things in a good or bad way for you. Even weight right in the middle of the boat is never a bad thing when you have it weighted in the front and back it just gets in the way of walking around.

Ive had as many as 6-7 people in the boat also. Unfortunately, the malibu's front ballast isn't nearly as much as the axis. The 750 should be perfect up there. If you do fill the 1100, definitely put that in the cabin, you don't need to fill it all the way either.

Try it with no wedge! How does your boat plane out now? You may need to run the 2315 or 2419 prop fully weighted.

By over weighting the bow, I'm mostly talking about axis owners who will put another 750 on top of the 950 bow bag thats already up there. Not to mention, the axis center ballast is really up front in the bow also.

My typical setup is-

Bow- Hard tank 300 and 540 on seats for around 800 realistically

Center hard tank - 500

Rear hard tanks and 400 on each side on top so 600 total per side

No wedge

Totals around 2500 plus people with that setup. If we really want to party we throw an 1100 in the floor for around 3500 total.

This weight doesn't account for my 4 batteries sub and heavy toolbox that I move around to better distribute weight.