Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu center windshield question

Fman

Is it me or does that window just seem awkwardly big when it's left open? I'm always afraid of it slamming closed from the wind. Does anyone here leave it open while wakeboarding, surfing or in heavy chop? I usually end up keeping it closed. Just curious if anyone here leaves it open with no issues of it breaking.

i've left mine open pretty much all the time since i've owned the boat no issues yet, only time I have closed it is when it is raining, cold, or very heavy chop, surfing wakeboarding and even WOT no problems.

Edited by jb 156
  • Like 3

Same here, I rarely have it closed whether we are skiing, wakeboarding, or surfing. Usually just close it up if it gets cold and have some heat blowing. I've never had an issue with the wind blowing it closed

I've left mine open 80% of the time. In my '02 the pins were loose and I would take the window out completely for days where I was based in the marina instead of day-trips. Some quick release pins might be in my future for the '15, I need to see if I can fit it in the observer's storage compartment.

I leave mine open when we surf and wakeboard unless it's rough out. In my VTX we did get hit by a rough storm out of nowhere that slammed it shut and broke some plastic. Scared the crap out of me

We leave ours open most of the time. I had one instance where wind caught it just right while at skiing speeds into a wind gust at just the right angle. No damage done, but scared the occupants of the boat pretty good.

I generally leave it open unless the water is rough. I did make a rubber bumper I put on a suction cup for the center window so there is no torsional movement on the window when its open. I don't want to think how much that thing would cost to replace!

I generally leave it open unless the water is rough. I did make a rubber bumper I put on a suction cup for the center window so there is no torsional movement on the window when its open. I don't want to think how much that thing would cost to replace!

Any pics of this bumper?

Let me find a picture at home and post it up tonight. It was literally made from a 2" diameter suction cup, a brand new rubber shock absorber spacer Shoe Goo'd to the cup and a round Seadeck pad I cut to add a little more cushion and to pretty it up some. I did spray paint the outside of the suction cup because it turned into a magnifying glass in direct sunlight which is kind of bad for the glove box padding!

I think the real question is why hasn't Malibu made this into a power sliding window yet? Electric actuators on the wedge, gates, touch screens, drive by wire, adjustable seat.....I mean come on even my F150 has a power sliding window in the back. Sarcasm font off.

Keep my window closed most times because I live within a stones throw from the arctic circle.

• Like 2

$223.96 plus freight if you are really curious. Mine stays open all the time except for stormy or cold conditions. Never a problem from that but while towing it with it closed a rock shattered it. Thus knowing the cost.

Mine is mostly open while operating. It did slam closed during a fast moving summer storm breaking the plastic clips that hold it closed. I do like the suction cup bumper for additional support for the top of the open windshield.

^^^ great idea with suction cup, where did you acquire all the parts for this? Because the window is large and curved it does seem to put more stress on the frame. In comparison to the MC center window and even Supra which is smaller and folds over flat against the window.

My wife is a crafts freak so the suction cup came from some estrogen laden craft store but, I am sure Lowes, HD or Wally World has them. The shock grommets came from one of my many shock changes and the Seadeck was from a left over piece I had from my bow step pad and rear locker step pads I added a couple years ago. You could substitute any of the items for some other like items and it would work just as well.

I have mine open all the time unless it is cooler and the kids are complaining they are cold while we are cruising across the lake. I also close it when I put the cover on each week when we leave the dock to head home.

Open 99% of the time unless it's really rough, windy or cold......I too have concerns on the torsion put on it when open in rough water.

I laughed outloud to this..."estrogen laden craft store"

I'll add to my "almost always open" status. When it's closed, the latches are never locked. It's just set in the closed position. One of my latch screws kept backing out so I finally just left it out. I now only have one latch but never use it.

One of my latch screws kept backing out so I finally just left it out. I now only have one latch but never use it.

Stop turning them counter clockwise ;) I can't count the number of times I had to tell the wife and kids that if you only turn them clockwise you never have a problem. (This was an issue on all 3 of our boats)