Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

575 6.2L Ford ROUSHcharged Raptor vs 556hp Supercharged LSA ?

The Hulk

I can say my 24 MXZ with LSA will not hit 40. 2247 prop 15 x 14.25, and she will not hit 40. 39.8 is all she's got. Still 10 MPH faster than i like going anyway. But the hull just isn't built for speed.

Mine jumps out of the hole, and will easily pull you over the board if driver isn't paying attention. But 39.8 is all she's got. As for weight i haven't found its limit. 5k plus PW2 is not an issue.

Hey Dark, do me a favor... next time you are surfing snap a pic of your center screen and post it up.

I can squeak out 44mph on a near 7000lb boat on a 16x16.

On my second oil change yesterday... Reading the sticker on the coolant reservoirs... It said Max rpm 5200-5400 with 5300rpm preferred. Also, 4200rpm Max sustained cruise.

I can squeak out 44mph on a near 7000lb boat on a 16x16.

On my second oil change yesterday... Reading the sticker on the coolant reservoirs... It said Max rpm 5200-5400 with 5300rpm preferred. Also, 4200rpm Max sustained cruise.

At 4200 your not going to cruise too far before your tank is empty...

VTXScott, on 23 Aug 2015 - 7:09 PM, said:

I've had my LSA powered 247 to 55mph. Acme 2277 prop, 1:25 trans. Still jumps outta the hole with +4k ballast.

Did u upgrade to the 2277 or was that all u ever had.. debating on getting that put in my 23lsv should help with surf and top end as well with higher diameter and higher pitch. Just curious if u had something other before that and the difference. Going to buy another prop and deciding on 15x15.75 or 15 x16 or 15x17 with my LSA

The boat was originally equipped with a 1589. After weighting it heavily for surfing and experiencing a lot of cavitation I wanted something that would take advantage of the LSA's torque so i ordered the 2277. It has been perfect for my application. Can surf with around 4k ballast @ 12.6mph and only be reving 24-2500rpm and I can cruise down river to the spot at 35mph @ 3500rpm.

• Like 2

The boat was originally equipped with a 1589. After weighting it heavily for surfing and experiencing a lot of cavitation I wanted something that would take advantage of the LSA's torque so i ordered the 2277. It has been perfect for my application. Can surf with around 4k ballast @ 12.6mph and only be reving 24-2500rpm and I can cruise down river to the spot at 35mph @ 3500rpm.

Dude!! Those rpm's are amazing. Wow.

1:25 trans? What year? I think my 2013 has a 1:48 so if your 1:25 still has that power I'm wondering if I should increase pitch a bit to 16 or 17 since I can only go 15" diameter. Thoughts?

1:25 trans? What year? I think my 2013 has a 1:48 so if your 1:25 still has that power I'm wondering if I should increase pitch a bit to 16 or 17 since I can only go 15" diameter. Thoughts?

Yes, it's a 1:25 trans. 2012. I would think you'd be fine with a 15 x 15.75 or 15 x 16 but I hate to recommend you anything because I am not an expert on props or trans ratios and there are more than a few variables to consider(SG vs listed, overall weight, elevation...). I do know that with the 2277, 1:25 trans and +/- 4k ballast the LSA has power/torque to spare on the bottom end. On the top end I'm running out of power a few hundred rpm before the limiter.

So they switched from a 1.25 to 1.48 trans from 2012 to 2013? Dang if you have power to spare at the bottom end still I'm just curious if I should go slightly higher pitch but then again at the slow surf speeds that may or may not be good after some point. Somebody needs to come out with a line of test props to rent test and buy! Do u use wedge or just list ?as the wedge makes a huge difference for example if I'm all the way down I could be at 2400 to 2500 but one or two clicks up adds a few hundred rpms and about three clicks up puts me over 3000. That's hit or miss a click based on placement of people in the boat. But on that second or third click the wedge becomes pure drag

Edited by The Hulk

If you're not maxing out at wot and you have a little to spare at the low end you're probably right where you want to be for all around performance if I had to guess. With my tranny being 1.48 I'd have a bit more torque than u but less rpms. Obviously a 16" prop would be sweet but not possible. Since I should be technically slower rpms at the prop with the 1.48 with more torque . Than u with the 1.25 .that's why I'm quessung I should compensate with a bit more pitch around possible even up to a 15x17 as nyryan has advised in the past a 15 x16 or 15 x17. OJ recommends a 15 x16 but your post now makes me question a 15x17 since I'm lower prop rpms with more torque.

Hulk you and i are in the same situation. I am going back and forth between 16 and 17 pitch. I know nyryan is running 16x16 in his G. With us limited to 15" diameter i am thinking we might be able to get away with 17" pitch.

If i understand correctly,and i may not. The 1.5:1 tranny would produce even more torque than the 1:25:1 on the low end. But produce less top end. Example 1.25:1 tranny would spin prop 4000 RPM @ 5000 RPM and 1.5:1 would only spin prop 3333 RPM @ 5000 RPM. If these assumptions are correct, we should have room to go 17" pitch. Based on VTX having 1.25:1 AND using 15 x 15.75

I agree would love a rental or trial, at $600 a pop trial and error gets expensive

So they switched from a 1.25 to 1.48 trans from 2012 to 2013? Dang if you have power to spare at the bottom end still I'm just curious if I should go slightly higher pitch but then again at the slow surf speeds that may or may not be good after some point. Somebody needs to come out with a line of test props to rent test and buy! Do u use wedge or just list ?as the wedge makes a huge difference for example if I'm all the way down I could be at 2400 to 2500 but one or two clicks up adds a few hundred rpms and about three clicks up puts me over 3000. That's hit or miss a click based on placement of people in the boat. But on that second or third click the wedge becomes pure drag

I run with the wedge all the way down. Maybe one click up if I'm running with a current. I've only been in a couple SG boats but I think even with the LSA I'd be surprised if you can get your surf rpm under 3000.(that's assuming your running 5-6k ballast and around 12mph with wedge)

Like I've said I'm no expert, but I feel that going to a 15 x 17 is somewhat drastic but if you guys try it I'd definitely like to hear your results.

I won't be back to the lake for a while can anybody confirm there is a 1.48 in the 2013 23 LSV? With an LSA? Or did the LSAs in 2013 still have a 1.25 like 2012?

Wedge is the RPM killer for sure. It also appears as people who list surf faster than gated. I could be wrong, i am at 11.3 normally. The amount of wedge can have a HUGE difference in RPM even at that speed. 2 clicks up front bottom, 3100~3300, 2 clicks from MAX and 3600~3800