Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Great weekend and met a crew member.

mainekneeboarder

Had a camping trip planed this weekend to the big lake Fri, Sat, and Sun. Got looking at the weather and decided to work Fri. and stay Mon. Had great weather all weekend and Monday afternoon I looked at gauge and had 81.7 water temp, 92.6 air, (actually had someone ask me how the day was going thru text and I texted him back is why I remember exact numbers) with very little wind, VERY rare in Maine. Sat. morning I headed up to meet the guys that have been trying to get me thru the course like I have the last few times we have been there and see a newer VTX out slalom skiing, I had seen them last month when I was there too, thinking In my head, I need to stop and say hey. So Sunday morning I head up to the course again and see the VTX again but this time there is a course there where they usually are. Well now I have to stop for sure, but I need to get up and get my lesson first. The guy (Ken) that is teaching me tells me what I'm doing wrong, and then proceeds to make me look like a fool (did I mention he is 70!) running the course at 34-35 off. He has actually been very helpful and I love having the help. He has been very patient and is making me work on form rather then just chasing buoys, saying he doesn't want me to learn the hard way like they did. So he fills my head with way more information then I will ever retain, then we relax and get talking. I asked him if he noticed the Slalom course this morning on his way in, he never even saw it, so we head out to go see it. Introduce our selves and talk a bit, Ken leaves and I stay to ask about the course and get talking small talk, where you from and so on, and the guy (Asnowman) figures out I may be from the BuCrew and asks if I'm Mainekneeboarder. Ended up going to get my girlfriend and introducing her to them, talked a bit and decided we would come back later on once the water calmed down. Came back and spent the evening with them and their family. Very nice people, and great to have met a crew member on the water. Went out Mon. morning and got a couple pics and took a ski with them.

IMGP0003.jpg

• Like 2

Just when you think your good someone takes you to a course. Humbling isn't a strong enough word! :notworthy:

And driving the course isn't much easier. But you would need to do it to understand.

• Like 3

80+ degree water in Maine doesn't happen every year, never mind throw in 90 degree air temps without wind. The weather was fantastic, but Mainekneeboarder made the weekend great, just by stopping to say hello. It was great to hang out, talk boats, water sports and of course TMC with a fellow member. My wife and I were excited when Mainekneeboarder and that Tantrum i mentioned in my slalom boat post came by to say hello as we are always looking to meet Bu's on the lake. It was even better to find out he was a crew member. I finally got to meet the guys in that Tantrum, that was cool too.

I had wondered where that nice VLX lived on the lake, as we had seen Mainekneeboarder zip by a couple times, and figured he was headed for a slalom course down the way. Turns out we were right, on the course part, and wrong about where the boat lives. You all need to see his rig for boating and camping, its a one of a kind wonder.

I really enjoyed going for a very, very humbling slalom set, then setting about surfing behind Mainekneeboarder's dialed in VLX. He and his girlfriend showed us we need to order some ballast bags, figure out where the wedge on the VTX needs to be set, and practice surfing more often. It was really cool to do a little photo shoot too, can't say we would have taken the time without wanting to post a good pic here.

As for the slalom course, it apparently brings people together in ways we didn't expect. It brought us a new friend on the lake, and what more do we really need? All in all...awesome long weekend!

PS... I did put in trainer buoys (as per CFO's orders) after Mainekneeboarder left (now I can get all 6! ).... so hope he comes back soon to give it a go.

Just when you think your good someone takes you to a course. Humbling isn't a strong enough word! :notworthy:

And driving the course isn't much easier. But you would need to do it to understand.

Thankfully the CFO is a great driver.

Nice story.

I hope asnowman has decided to get a nice Gen I RLXI for that course...!

Yup, searching for that Gen I RLXi.

• Like 2

Great meeting you guys. My girlfriend and I were amazed at how much more room the VTX has then our little Sunsetter VLX even thou our boat is supposedly a foot longer!! We had very vaguely been talking about an upgrade and the VTX was what we were thinking, we would definitely be gaining room! I had just skied the Tantrum that morning so it was hard to compare directly, but think the VTX ski wake is a tad better then ours also.

My girlfriend just read this and said "see, I agree!! I'm watching buoys, watching you, pooping my paints, and you think I'm crazy." lol. She pulled me thru the course for the first time Monday. I had her drive the course with me beside her Saturday, She did very well.