Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to Mount a Sub Box in my 98 Sunsetter

mtnbkr738

Hey everyone.

I want to mount my 12" sub in a box like shown. I would like to mount the box under the helm on that foot ledge. I would 'trim" out the sides of the box so that its flush left and right and looks like it "fits"

I would like to use this pre-made box, instead of building the box from scratch....so the QUESTION IS:... How do I mount the box to the foot rest under the helm so it LOOKS good, is solid, and is removable?

Any help or ideas or suggestions???

THX!

12sa_zpsyxaktvqp.jpg

IMG_2206_zps8qxb0tck.jpg

I screwed through the bottom of the box into the foot rest, then mounted the speaker. My box didn't last two seasons, the pressed wood sucks up water like a sponge.

Mine is mounted above the drivers foot well behind the dash, with the sub pointing at my feet. Fits really well and doesn't get wet. Pretty sure I have some pictures at home that I can post later on

I made my box, but made the back panel of the sub long, so it overhangs and rests on the floor behind that hump while the front edge rests on the hump. Then I secured the box to the to of the hump with L brackets. If you can't picture the sub box, think of the bottom of it like an upside down "L", with the long part of the L mounted sitting on the floor behind the hump.

I made my box, but made the back panel of the sub long, so it overhangs and rests on the floor behind that hump while the front edge rests on the hump. Then I secured the box to the to of the hump with L brackets. If you can't picture the sub box, think of the bottom of it like an upside down "L", with the long part of the L mounted sitting on the floor behind the hump.

Hi Hethj7-- what type of screws did you use to mount to that hump--- it seems like the hump is fiberglass and hollow (??)

I screwed through the bottom of the box into the foot rest, then mounted the speaker. My box didn't last two seasons, the pressed wood sucks up water like a sponge.

so forget the pressboard...and just make a box from scratch?? What type of material is good to use that will last??

Birch plywood seems to be what most recommend for the box. I coated mine with a bedliner (spray can). Frankly, the bedliner spray can wasn't anything like an actual bedliner. It was more like black spray paint when it went on, but I was anxious to get back on the water so I left it like that. Some will take boxes up to a local shop and have them LineX'd. My box is holding up fine. I can't recall for sure, but I may have made that elongated back panel out of PVC board since it sits on the floor. I need to crawl back under there the next time I'm on the boat.

This sounds like what I will do-- did you just have a "front" board with the sub mounted---- or did you actually make a "box" to enclose the sub.?

thx!