Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Work in the City - Live on the Water

jslipher

Don't compare the taxes in Cornelius to the Lincoln county side of the lake or you might not sleep tonight. :) We rented in that area for awhile and were looking there to begin with but the $ goes soooo much further on the other side. Not to mention 77, that's a problem with no end in sight, sounds like a non issue for you though.

As for I77, I just heard that they are moving along with the toll lanes, and that totally sucks, but it should at least help a little. I did consider taxes outside meck county when looking. Yes, they were half as much. But the taxes here are still sooo much less than what I'm used to, that it doesn't seem like much, and the convenience of my location is very important to me. I'd vote to raise taxes if it meant they could build some more roads around here. And we already have the 2nd highest gas tax in the country.

I grew up in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin, moved to downtown Minneapolis for a few years and eventually ended up back in Wisconsin because of the cost for lake houses.

In MN we had an 800 ft^2 condo (1 bed 1 bath) .... albeit right downtown and sold it for $220k.

When we moved back, we got a foreclosure that had a bad mold problem in the basement ... so we had a nice bargaining chip there. Anyways, ended up paying $225k for a 3 bed 3 bath home, ~3700 ft^2, 300 ft of frontage on a really nice flat lot.... no way on earth we could have afforded it anywhere near the cities.

As others mentioned, around here our taxes are based on two things - Assessed value of the home * Mill rate (2.2% of assessed value) = Taxes

.... so on shore is far more, but that is because of the land value being significantly higher.

The new back yard!

11227045_10100746098850572_5410398401472

Edited by sidekicknicholas
  • Like 2

We feel fortunate to have purchased our own cabin (1920's) in '07 on same lake I grew up on.

My dad originally bought their lot because it was a 60 min. commute to the Twin Cities, which he did all summer. He commented that having his back to the sunrise/sunset made the commute easier. In H.S. I worked at our family business and would sleep on the commute 'in' and my dad would sleep on the commute back. We have a soooo much history on this lake. I met my husband thru friends on the lake and we spent 25 years looking for a place of our own. It took us awhile (prices kept climbing out of reach) but, finally the stars aligned in 2007.

Most of the time we spend 4 days at the lake and come in town for the balance of the week to get some work done. Love all the seasons especially, the in between times when the lake is so quiet. Went 2 years without a speed boat but, now that we have the VTX the grown kids and their friends are spending a lot more time with us...and the boat. For us it works...its the best of both worlds (except for double the yard/housework and taxes)!

deeerlake_zpsqwnygbcr.jpg

There's a rock river in Wisconsin. I've been on it numerous times! Water isn't very clean but its great for sports!

Depends on the time of the year. Late fall through early spring I can see several feet down on the Rock. I've measured as far as 6 feet in the past. In December I can generally see my ski in the water with my legs straight down.

Edited by Sethro

There's a rock river in Wisconsin. I've been on it numerous times! Water isn't very clean but its great for sports!

Same river, but I'm south of the border in Illinois. For sure, the water is like coffee, lol, but in the mornings and evenings There's usually glass from the dam downtown all the way to roscoe. It's a long ride!