Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Work in the City - Live on the Water

jslipher

I'm in the need of some good jealousy. Who here commutes to a descent sized city for work each day, but gets to enjoy their boat sitting on a lift ready to be used when they return home? Pictures are always welcome!

I live and work on the west side of St Louis for a large insurance company. The only real body of water in commuting distance from me are the two rivers, but they are not the most ideal place to boat given the amount of trash in them. I always love to hear and see people that have the opportunity to work in a descent sized city but get to come home to some good water for boating.

I'll play and let you in on a glimpse of lake life only because I recommend everyone needs to figure out how to do it for at least a couple of years. I don’t work in a city anymore(somewhat thankful for the commute I do now after almost 5 years doing that), but I do work just west of Boston now. My commute is 40 minutes each way if there was no traffic, and in the summer on the afternoon commutes it’s anywhere from 1.5-2.5 hours to get home every day. Those 40 minute days(maybe twice a month) I take in the ride as much as possible on cruise control because most days are just as long a ride in as they are out. But it’s all worth it to wake up and come home to this….

Dawn Patrol:

19895946395_a13175aa3c_b.jpg

Sunset:

20677317472_d7f5b8423c_b.jpg

Edited by K2rider
  • Like 2

I love this topic! This is our goal. My better half is also really wanting to do this. Our youngest is a sophomore in high school. Right after he graduates were planning to be residents of Tennessee.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with a pontoon! We can't wait to get lakefront. Timing may be off a little as my work though stable has very few positions. So that may be our challenge. My wife is a special education teacher, so she can get a position anywhere fairly easily. I should be able to telecommute a couple days a week, so an hour each way would not bother me.

If i could get a setup like you got, maybe an hour and a half....

• Like 1

My oldest daughter is a senior this year. We plan on selling our house next year and trying to move to the lake also. May just be a dream, but only time will tell.

Work from home, (travel a lot) and home is on one of the largest lakes in AL and is also billed as the third or fourth cleanest lakes in the nation... Boat lives on a lift in a dock 45 steps from the back deck. (Can't figure out how to upload pics) The reality for me is I discipline my self to only going out after work.. Maybe I need to work on that!

Only 350k here. And no lift. Sorry.

I have some riding friends on Lake St Louis though. Pretty sweet setup there.

We are thinking about moving out to Lake St. Louis eventually, but they have boat restrictions. Nothing larger than 21ft I believe and no ballast. We have a VLX, and it would be tough to give up our wakeboard boat.

less than 15 minutes to work. I will NEVER move off the lake. I may move to a different lake but luckily I have unbeatable job security

Love the place Doc!

I'll play and let you in on a glimpse of lake life only because I recommend everyone needs to figure out how to do it for at least a couple of years. I don’t work in a city anymore(somewhat thankful for the commute I do now after almost 5 years doing that), but I do work just west of Boston now. My commute is 40 minutes each way if there was no traffic, and in the summer on the afternoon commutes it’s anywhere from 1.5-2.5 hours to get home every day. Those 40 minute days(maybe twice a month) I take in the ride as much as possible on cruise control because most days are just as long a ride in as they are out. But it’s all worth it to wake up and come home to this….

The 1.5-2.5hr commute would be tough, but those pics make it tempting.

My oldest daughter is a senior this year. We plan on selling our house next year and trying to move to the lake also. May just be a dream, but only time will tell.

We sold our house this year, planning to sell our rental inn the spring. So when an opportunity in Knoxville presents itself, we are able to act quickly. So spending the next couple years in a rental.

We will likely buy a lakefront lot when we sell our rental.

Well, I don't live or work in a decent sized city, but I do share your passion for living on the water. My current home was 20 years in the making, buying and selling 3 "fixer uppers" before I could afford this place. But it really is a dream come true. I prefer a boathouse with a track/rail/dolly system over a lift though.... :biggrin:

DSCN2452_zpsbb36faa2.jpg

459_zps3bra12jn.jpg

DSCN2385_zps4cb1c75e.jpg

Cool topic jslipher. I am in STL too and when we moved here 8 years ago I met some guys who live on the lake over at Holiday Shores, IL (Edwardsville area). I used to drive over there after work occasionally to get an evening set in. It is a really nice little lake and isn't as restrictive on boat size as Lake STL. I was seriously contemplating trying to live out there and commute back to the west side of the city for work, but in the end decided it was just too much commute (plus my wife isn't quite as motivated to live on the lake as I am...) so we are still doing the weekend thing and I rarely get water time during the week. I too wish there were more good options around our area.

Keep 'em coming guys, a healthy dose of jealousy builds character.

There are plenty of waterfront properties on our local river, and the commute to work wouldn't be terrible (aprox 45 mins). We are forever wishing we owned one. The issue for us is that we'd have to move school districts (major downgrade) and our oldest is sophomore, followed by three more each of them two years apart. So we are on the front end of a 10 year stretch.

By the time the kids are gone, not sure it makes sense anymore. It will just be the two of us. Sure, they'll come home and visit often (I hope), but it won't be the same.

I feel stuck... :cry:

• Like 2

Anyone who works in Bellevue and lives on Lake Sammamish - please trade places with me.

I lived in the condos on the north end for 7 or 8 years. It was always a lot of fun there. I never worked in Bellevue though....always Seattle, Mt Lake Terrace or the south end...... All of which are 45 min - 2 hrs away.

In the end it was so worth it to move east. More lakes, less traffic, better real estate values, easier to get a place on the lake, & way better weather.

I live 50 miins commute from my job in downtown Milwaukee. We have had construction that sometimes extends it to 1hr. I'd do it for the rest of my life if it means living on the lake. Boat is 50yards from front door.

It took me 7 yrs to convince my wife that this is a good plan and now I don't think she's ever gonna move.