Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 VLX Pulling Hard To The Right

Just picked up this boat a week ago and the steering seems to be messed up. When driving I have to turn and hold the steering wheel 180 degrees to the left to keep the boat from turning right. If I let go of the steering wheel at any decent speed it will pull hard right quickly. I have never experienced this with an inboard. I have with outboards and I/O but not an inboard. When I say 180 degrees I'm talking about looking at the steering wheel with logo straight and when turning the wheel to hold it on line the logo in the middle of the steering wheel is upside down. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I thought the same thing when we came from an io. It's normal.

Edit:

Sorry, missed the 180. We hold ours approx 45-90 degrees left depending on ballast

Edited by hunter77ah

I thought the same thing when we came from an io. It's normal.

Not normal to have to hold 180 degrees on the wheel. Normal to have a slight bias to the right.

Edit - unless you are listed or have surfgate out, then normal steering doesn't apply.

Edited by oldjeep

My wheel is about at 45* to go straight but I can let go of the steering wheel listed for surfing or loaded for wakeboarding and it doesn't go anywhere, holds a straight line. Your little adjustable rudder is probably not right.

of the steering wheel isnt centered on the rack. We had to remove the wheel on my boat to get at something on the dash - thought we had it marked in the correct position, but put it all back together and it took a couple tries to get the wheel centered.