Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How keep from cracking tray

dalt1

My center rear storage tray was always cracking at both rear corners. Superglue holds it together well but it would be cracked again after each weekend. I noticed when adult size people would step down on center seat cushion, I would hear it crack loose again. After looking at the seat base structure, it did not support all the way across the center rear, had about a 14" gap. This lets the center seat bow under the weight of adults stepping in the center of it and cracks the bin as it also flexed down at the unsupported rear flange. A piece of aluminum angle cured that for good. Ain't going to bend it now. My 06 VLX was supported all the way across there. 2CEBDAB0-F08C-464B-8DDD-AED6877F9718_zps

• Like 1

I have the same boat and he same problem. My seat base is bent. I have a tray a la Norrismike in the works but handmt had the time to finish it. I'm hoping once the tray is mounted properly, it will alleviate some of the weight on the seat when people step in.

• 7 months later...
On 8/18/2015 at 0:12 AM, isellacuras said:

I have the same boat and he same problem. My seat base is bent. I have a tray a la Norrismike in the works but handmt had the time to finish it. I'm hoping once the tray is mounted properly, it will alleviate some of the weight on the seat when people step in.

Did you ever get this tray finished? How did it work out?

On April 3, 2016 at 8:02 AM, dalt1 said:

On April 3, 2016 at 8:02 AM, dalt1 said:

No but thanks for reminding me that I need to get back in it. It's almost done but I did a little modification. I also did your 90* angle aluminum channel to reinforce the seat. Had to modify the  Tray slightly for both to fit properly. 

Fiberglass it and spray paint it gloss black with a spray paint for plastics. That's what I'm about to try. Mine is cracked too.

Or just use a kit like this

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex%C2%AE-Plastic-Tank-Repair-Kit/dp/B0007TQWM4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459968687&sr=8-2&keywords=plastic+tank+repair+kit

Used one of these to fix a car top carrier that got run into a garage door frame, it is black and tough enough for a ski carrier should be fine for the pizza tray.

Done. Or kinda done. I'm going to get a longer piece of angle aluminum for the back to support all the way across. Probably doesn't need it but I think it will look better. Also, I'm going to put two strips of starboard at the top that will have two functions. First and most important is that it will support the center seat on the sides. The fact that the center seat is not supported on the sides is a big design flaw IMO. My seat is bent because of it. I will be replacing the base soon. The other function of the starboard strips will be to lift the tray out. I liked norrismikes holes in the side but since I have to put the strips there anyways, I will just use them for the grab handles when pulling it out. I had to move the tabs that hold the seat in place, back about 3/4". All in all I think it turned out good. I drilled holes in the corners for drainage. 

image_20.jpeg

this pic shows that even with the tray in, the center seat is unsupported. 

image_21.jpeg

Edited by isellacuras
Spelling

Thanks. It works well too. I can't believe how much quieter the engin/tranny/intake noise is. My tray cracked 2+ years ago and I've had just the seat on there since then. Also, with the tray in and the design the way it is, in order to look down in the bilge, I had to remove all three back seat cushions to remove the cheap black plastic tray. This tray allows me to flip up the middle seat and see right down in there. 

Edited by isellacuras