Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fixing a Bent Prop?

Baddog

I always thought it was malleable and that was why we preferred NiBrAl to SS. G figure.

GreenMan, you only get half a point for that last comment because spending all day watching videos of my babe WOULD be a worthwhile event.

Just Gary, I miss you dde.

Edited by Baddog

Just Gary, I miss you dude.

I miss you too, Baddog. You went off to Arkansas a few months ago and we didn't hear from you for a while. It's good to have you back!

I miss you too, Baddog. You went off to Arkansas a few months ago and we didn't hear from you for a while. It's good to have you back!

Work politics that went from really bad to amazingly crappy, but . . . . . surviving so far even if not happy.

Work politics that went from really bad to amazingly crappy, but . . . . . surviving so far even if not happy.

If your work is as bad as your roads, I understand. I waved at you as I drove through Cinci a few weeks ago, but I don't think you saw me because a road work sign was in the way.

I bent one blade of my 3 blade NiBrAl prop and only a little bit. Enough though to cause copious vibration at anything other than fast idle. there was no metal lost. The spare is on and the simple question is: can I fix this baby myself? What's the best way? Claw hammer? Ball peen? dead blow? Rubber mallet? And lay the prop against what? Wood? Granite counter top? Plastic?

Dont try it at home.....props require a perfect balance so send it away to Acme and get it done right or you will have a vibration which will only lead to other problems down the road

Come on, if its not missing metal and just dog eared give a try to fixing it yourself. Use an adjustable wrench take small bites and start reshaping back to what it should be. Give it a try if its not vibrating go for it. Have a look after you run it for a short time you can see if it is getting cavitation, it starts with color change or if you see pitting its time to send it. I hate being dependent on others all the time. :Tease3: Its not that hard to do!

I had a dog-eared blade last year, which I was able to bend back with an adjustable wrench. You couldn't tell there was anything wrong with it at all but when I put it back on it vibrated waaaaay more than before I worked on it. It was shaking the walk through violently.

For the need to save a dollar, he tried to fix the prop.

For the vibration of a prop, the shaft vibrated and failed the seal.

For the fail of a seal, the water leaked in while sitting over night.

For sitting over night with the water leaking in, the bilge ran and ran.

For the bilge running and running, the battery went dead.

For the batter went dead and the water leaking in, the boat filled with the lake.

For the boat filling with the lake, the motor and seats and tranny were now flooded.

For the boat being flooded, it was virtually sunk.

For the boat being virtually sunk by owner error of fixing the prop, the insurance lady said "sorry",

For the insurance lady saying sorry, there was no replacement.

For there being no replacement, baddog resorted to crime to get a new ride.

For the crime to get a new ride, baddog was inexperienced, so he must do time.

So, keep yourself out of jail, take it to Delta.

Soon2BV strikes me as an individual of GREAT wisdom. Sir, it would be an honor to ski with you! Red

Edited by Rednucleus

If your work is as bad as your roads, I understand. I waved at you as I drove through Cinci a few weeks ago, but I don't think you saw me because a road work sign was in the way.

I waved back at you Gary but Nooooo, you were just too focused on crossing into Kentucky so you just ignored me. It's OK, I was able to get to sleep later . . . .somehow.

For the need to save a dollar, he tried to fix the prop.

For the vibration of a prop, the shaft vibrated and failed the seal.

For the fail of a seal, the water leaked in while sitting over night.

For sitting over night with the water leaking in, the bilge ran and ran.

For the bilge running and running, the battery went dead.

For the batter went dead and the water leaking in, the boat filled with the lake.

For the boat filling with the lake, the motor and seats and tranny were now flooded.

For the boat being flooded, it was virtually sunk.

For the boat being virtually sunk by owner error of fixing the prop, the insurance lady said "sorry",

For the insurance lady saying sorry, there was no replacement.

For there being no replacement, baddog resorted to crime to get a new ride.

For the crime to get a new ride, baddog was inexperienced, so he must do time.

So, keep yourself out of jail, take it to Delta.

Soon,

This prose of yours is worth a full two points.

Sixball stated a good strategy, and like him I hate to pay for things I can do myself, but as I become more and more like a fine wine, I seem to be getting lazier and lazier.

The question is, how much is your time worth? If your boat is on a lift, in the lake then no problem - try it out, mess with it more and repeat. If it is a trailer boat, what a pain.

It's a trailer boat and my time is worth a lot, but fortunately my spare prop is working just fine. However, the challenge of the whole thing makes me want to do it myself, but my intelligence keeps kicking in and kicking me in the butt for even thinking that way.

• Like 2