Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LPT: Take off boom before backing in garage

Arick

LPT= life pro tip

:help::Frustrated::help::Frustrated:

Well after a few hours of cruising around on a Sunday, I decided to call it a day. Get back to the house, do my usual 'take down' of removing the swim platform and making sure the garage is cleaned up. Start backing up, now my garage is very small and the boat fits with just inches on each side so I'm going so slow, real slow. All the sudden I hear this noise... I get out and look at the GROUND and don't see anything. So I get back in and am about to put it in reverse when it dawns on me, hey idiot... you forgot to take the fly high pylon off. Whelp the damage was done, the boom was bent, pylon is not..(picture to come later). The house suffered some damage to the gutters but I bent that back already. :mad: Went from having a great day to being a little pissed! Not sure how I missed that.

Anywho, now I feel like more of an idiot with sharing with the world...

Looking back, I was just tired after being on the water for 4 days straight and that's when mistakes happen.

So heres the pickle I'm left with. The fly high pylon is a two piece and the lower half creased in where the rope would go around the pylon if this sleeve wasn't covering it. It being stainless is going to be a hassle to cut that off as I don't even think about bending it. When I was examining the boat to make sure no damage was done, I noticed there's a bolt going through the pylon beneath the floor. Do you think I can take the bolt out and the whole pylon will come right out? Also I called 'fatsac' and they said it would be $300 for that little 2' section. I'm thinking I could go to a metal fab shop and get the same thickness and same diameter for a lot less??

I'll take any and all recommendations and harassment for being and idiot. Hopefully this will make someone double check there boat and not have the same problem.

Also, every other time the ski boom comes off at the dock. Not sure what made this day any different.

Edited by Arick

Hey don't beat yourself up too bad. We have all done something stupid from time to time...some more than once.... :innocent:

Last year, after a particularly stressful time at the ramp when picking up, I neglected to turn off the engine after loading on trailer!

I drove all the way out to a clean up area away from the multitudes only to get out of my truck and hear this weird noise....oh that's just

the motor STILL running! Luckily not long enough to hurt anything. At least you had a good day on the water and no one was hurt!

• Like 2

Soooooooo, how did you get it on the trailer with the boom still attached??? Do you not have guide poles on your trailer? Or how did you drive down the road and not take anything else out? Just trying to get a full picture ;-)

Soooooooo, how did you get it on the trailer with the boom still attached??? Do you not have guide poles on your trailer? Or how did you drive down the road and not take anything else out? Just trying to get a full picture ;-)

This would be the boom that goes straight up in the air. Boat launch is 2 miles down the road.

I was thinking barefoot boom as well and was a wondering how it was possibly... The pole makes hella lot more sense ;)

@Arick: IIRC the pylon is not only bolted, but it either is press fit or also glassed in as I started to pull mine when I was doing a cam change and quickly decided that was not a good idea. As for the stainless hoop, try "online metals", McMaster Carr or a local supplier like Alro Steel. My Airboom is aluminum and it will most likely be a standard size piece of material with just some additional machining to adapt to the design. No shop wants to fool around with non standard tubing as that would drive the cost way up.

Yea buddy it happens. My dad took out 2 $8000 (each) road bikes in a parking garage one time after a bike race. They were strapped to the top of the truck tonneau cover and instantly sheared the seat poles off of both bikes. No big deal. Thank god for insurance.

Oh, and every single time I take the boat out, I feel like something breaks or gets scuffed, scratched, or damaged. That's what winters are for, everything can be fixed or replaced. Just remember the great time on the lake and you learned a little lesson. You could have been that dude that forgot to put the plug into his $180,000 Formula and sank that sucka...

You should try a Super Fly High under bridge. Bridge was high, not quite that high though.

For pylons, on newer boats, you take the bolt out and pound with a rubber mallet and wood to pop it up. Never done an Echelon, but sounds the same. Very tight fit. Malibu pylons have a +- size which can make it a pain to install when the newer one is bigger. If you do take one out, mark the floor height first so you know how far to pound down.

Not sure why you want the pylon out though. They are solid. Your pylon is probably 2.5 inches outside diameter too.

You should try a Super Fly High under bridge. Bridge was high, not quite that high though.

For pylons, on newer boats, you take the bolt out and pound with a rubber mallet and wood to pop it up. Never done an Echelon, but sounds the same. Very tight fit. Malibu pylons have a +- size which can make it a pain to install when the newer one is bigger. If you do take one out, mark the floor height first so you know how far to pound down.

Not sure why you want the pylon out though. They are solid. Your pylon is probably 2.5 inches outside diameter too.

The piece that is bent, is creased into where you would put the rope on the pylon if the piece wasn't there. Not sure how I'm going to get that piece off...

The piece that is bent, is creased into where you would put the rope on the pylon if the piece wasn't there. Not sure how I'm going to get that piece off...

Try something similar to this http://www.lowes.com/pd_571002-54602-RK5141K_0__?k_clickID=653aba8c-4f1b-bb89-c354-0000790ad8b3&store_code=489&productId=50169949&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=%5Bcom.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4068fe68fe%5D&storeNumber=0489&kpid=50169949&kpid=50169949&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-RotaryToolsAndAccessories-_-50169949%3AROCKWELL&CAWELAID=&CAWELAID=320011480002571679 It will take forever but you will be able to remove it without having to remove the pylon and without damaging it either.

good luck

I pulled the front off my barn with my tower his past weekend. The dim wit that built it for me did not build in 10 foot tall doors like I had told him to even though I could see that it was possible. This was prior to this boat but I knew how tall I wanted the door. Anyway, I have had to cut a slot out of the top of the door opening to allow the tower pylon to fit through. Well last time I backed it in I was a tad off center. Went in ok but coming back out the pylon was about 2 inches off and it just caught the edge of the slot. No damage to the boat and one day I will get around to rebuilding the barn.

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing to my father in laws overhead door in his pole barn. I have stored the boat there for years and always back up to the overhead door, open it and then back the boat into the barn. The over head door is 12'x12' and opens manually, we have since added a door opener, but anyway, I pushed the door up and walked back to the truck and stared backing back in. I then heard a crushing sound like a beer can. I stopped and got got only to see the the overhead door had sprung back down slightly after I pushed it open and the top of my tower bent the lower panel. I was pissed and apologized, he was cool and said it happens. The new panel cost me about $700. That day sucked.

I had a Sanger DLX. Had the ski locker "gull wings" open in the garage to dry, pulled the boat out w/o closing them - ripped one side 1/2 off. BTW boat had all of 5 hrs on it by then - made me think maybe I wasn't cut out to be a boat owner!

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing to my father in laws overhead door in his pole barn. I have stored the boat there for years and always back up to the overhead door, open it and then back the boat into the barn. The over head door is 12'x12' and opens manually, we have since added a door opener, but anyway, I pushed the door up and walked back to the truck and stared backing back in. I then heard a crushing sound like a beer can. I stopped and got got only to see the the overhead door had sprung back down slightly after I pushed it open and the top of my tower bent the lower panel. I was pissed and apologized, he was cool and said it happens. The new panel cost me about $700. That day sucked.

I did this a couple years ago at the pole building that I store mine in, which is an out building at my work. Bent the bottom panel a bit with the tow point of the tower. Pushed it back as best as I could. Put the boat away and went home. A few days later work guys were like "Hey, someone bent the door on the pole building". I was like "Yeah, I think someone tried to pry it up. Good thing we keep it locked. I'm going to the hardware store to get a quality lockset, I don't trust that old one".

I think I pulled it off.

I did this a couple years ago at the pole building that I store mine in, which is an out building at my work. Bent the bottom panel a bit with the tow point of the tower. Pushed it back as best as I could. Put the boat away and went home. A few days later work guys were like "Hey, someone bent the door on the pole building". I was like "Yeah, I think someone tried to pry it up. Good thing we keep it locked. I'm going to the hardware store to get a quality lockset, I don't trust that old one".

I think I pulled it off.

until you just posted it on the WWW.....LOL BUSTED

LPT= life pro tip

:help::Frustrated::help::Frustrated:

Well after a few hours of cruising around on a Sunday, I decided to call it a day. Get back to the house, do my usual 'take down' of removing the swim platform and making sure the garage is cleaned up. Start backing up, now my garage is very small and the boat fits with just inches on each side so I'm going so slow, real slow. All the sudden I hear this noise... I get out and look at the GROUND and don't see anything. So I get back in and am about to put it in reverse when it dawns on me, hey idiot... you forgot to take the fly high pylon off. Whelp the damage was done, the boom was bent, pylon is not..(picture to come later). The house suffered some damage to the gutters but I bent that back already. :mad: Went from having a great day to being a little pissed! Not sure how I missed that.

Anywho, now I feel like more of an idiot with sharing with the world...

Looking back, I was just tired after being on the water for 4 days straight and that's when mistakes happen.

So heres the pickle I'm left with. The fly high pylon is a two piece and the lower half creased in where the rope would go around the pylon if this sleeve wasn't covering it. It being stainless is going to be a hassle to cut that off as I don't even think about bending it. When I was examining the boat to make sure no damage was done, I noticed there's a bolt going through the pylon beneath the floor. Do you think I can take the bolt out and the whole pylon will come right out? Also I called 'fatsac' and they said it would be $300 for that little 2' section. I'm thinking I could go to a metal fab shop and get the same thickness and same diameter for a lot less??

I'll take any and all recommendations and harassment for being and idiot. Hopefully this will make someone double check there boat and not have the same problem.

Also, every other time the ski boom comes off at the dock. Not sure what made this day any different.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/bpo/5141388659.html

http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/5152613750.html

http://macon.craigslist.org/boa/5137669416.html

used fly highs above as low as $175

I was thinking barefoot boom as well and was a wondering how it was possibly... The pole makes hella lot more sense ;)

Hey...one Early morning when we got to the launch, I had a brilliant idea, let's rig the BF Boom while

the boats on the trailer, ya well that worked well.... :Doh:

Think we've all had those brain dead moments....lol....

Edited by Dare2goBare
  • Like 2

Hey...one Early morning when we got to the launch, I had a brilliant idea, let's rig the BF Boom while

Dare, we do it all the time, but someone has to be in the boat while backing the boat in the water to LIFT if over the trailer guides... :Tease3:

the worst part is when you forget the boom is still attached and you try putting the boat ON the trailer....Oooops, did I just say that out loud...

• Like 1

I said I would take pictures, but I decided to get the thing off the boat rather that document the damage. I used a hack saw and about 1.5 hours later. The pipe came off!

Now I'm trying to decide whether that piece that I need to replace needs a plastic lining on the inside or not. Local fab shop will cut me a piece of stainless for $25 with no plastic. Any ideas?

I did exactly that, once each way. I should just cut that one guide post off!

Dare, we do it all the time, but someone has to be in the boat while backing the boat in the water to LIFT if over the trailer guides... :Tease3:

the worst part is when you forget the boom is still attached and you try putting the boat ON the trailer....Oooops, did I just say that out loud...

I did exactly that, once each way. I should just cut that one guide post off!

Hey you two, sounds like we're just a bunch I'd dumb A$$'s lol. ..

Yup.....I can just imagine our B-foot jamboree. ... JB! Good Hospitals near by......lol.....JK'ing

Hey you two, sounds like we're just a bunch I'd dumb A$$'s lol. ..

Yup.....I can just imagine our B-foot jamboree. ... JB! Good Hospitals near by......lol.....JK'ing

When you go the the ER at Jefferson Regional, and you say you got hurt waterskiing, they WILL ASK YOU if you know me.....LOL

• Like 3