Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Cover Modification

EvanD

I just purchased my boat back in June and it came with what I think is the stock cover from Malibu. One day while it was raining, I went to check and see how the cover was holding up. I noticed all the rain running off the cover was going directly into the cutouts for the tower. After much debate of purchasing a new cover or having an upholstery shop modify the existing cover, I decided to try and do the work myself. The shop wanted around $400 to modify it and repair a small tear in the front. I ordered sunbrealla online along with v-69 thread, edging, new Velcro all for about $50. About 6 hours of work, and here is what I came up with. I know its not perfect, but it def does the job and will better protect the boat. next: vents in the cover, full tower cover (sleeve), side curtains all from sunbrella.

Before:

2015-08-17%2010.16.48_zpsfkkjkunt.jpg

2015-08-17%2010.17.27_zpsfzzfh8fj.jpg

After:

2015-08-17%2010.16.26_zpstqatbcgb.jpg

2015-08-17%2010.15.52_zpscjunjhnk.jpg

20150816_123916_zps1mcaorbl.jpg

Edited by EvanD
  • Like 2

Nice work! Looks like it would really help for those keeping their boat outside.

I wonder if you could sew in some sort of foam or rubber weatherstripping to further seal the top of that?

Edited by robbennett

The factory cover fro my 08 VTX goes up tower about 8". When docked outside over night or on a rain day I to have used saran wrap around tower to cover and that seems to keep rain out. I also treated my cover w multiple coats of 303 fabric guard waterproofing and it has worked great. We towed home from Tennessee yesterday in some rain storms and all dry inside boat w cover on. ( Note, I had my cover modified w some 10 straps to attach to trailer and some extra thick areas on nose and rear corners so I could tow w it on)

BTW, real nice work on your cover. Great job.

Edited by h2ojunkie