Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tried Hydrofoil

footndale

Had a chance yesterday to try a Hydrofoil. I actually got up and rode it for a while. Pretty cool and not as easy has one thinks. Took a little while to get up but quicker than my kids thought I would. :)

Sorry no pics. I think it was the first time phones stayed on the dock. :clap:

• Like 1
martinarcher

I tried one over vacation this year. I borrowed my uncles old Air Chair (original cast T bar). I got up my first try and rode for about 50 yards before biting it. About a half a dozen pulls later I was doing little "hop" jumps. I can honestly say I cannot ride that thing without giggling like a school girl. I dunno why it's so much fun but it is. What a cool feeling. I'd love to get one but will need to watch for a used one I can save some dough on. Finding a place for a rack on the tower would be a must as keeping one in a full DD is pretty rough.

• Like 2

I had some old tower clamps and made a rack with some plywood, carpet and bungees. It's not the prettiest thing in the world but its def functional, and it gets it up and out of the way. If I was at home I'd snap a few pics. Maybe ill get some tonight if interested.

I have an old prototype rack that I used on my 95 Bryant to haul my shorter T bar Hydrofoil. Would be willing to sell it if someone wanted to make a mount to attach it to their tower. I now use a Comptec. Ski rides right side up and forward. Always liked that better than the upside down and backwards direction I now have to carry mine.

DSC01036.jpgAFB2425B-D07C-44D0-8DEB-D2EB5D46BEB5_zps

Edited by dalt1

I bought a SS launch about 2 months ago without ever riding one..... best $2800 I've spent on boating gear. Wife thought I was crazy buying one without trying it! She loves it, we've hardly surfed since getting it. She's progressing a little quicker than me even. First time out we could get out of the water.... then crash immediately. Going off tips we could find on the internet. Had a chance to ride with a guy I met on Foil Forum. Had us both Flying the ski by the end of 1 day! Secret is a short burst of throttle off the start to get rider up.... then cut throttle to 6-8 mph to get used to riding the foil. Once your use to controlling the foil... increase speed to 10-11 mph (for me 215lb's / 8-9 mph for wife) lean back slightly & you are flying! Feeling of flying and controlling the height is pretty cool! I'm shocked at the progression. The first time you fly the foil.... you can tell this is a sport that's going to be a lot of fun for a long time.

I'm looking for a rack that fits an Illusion tower if anyone has one?

• Like 1

I tried one over vacation this year. I borrowed my uncles old Air Chair (original cast T bar). I got up my first try and rode for about 50 yards before biting it. About a half a dozen pulls later I was doing little "hop" jumps. I can honestly say I cannot ride that thing without giggling like a school girl. I dunno why it's so much fun but it is. What a cool feeling. I'd love to get one but will need to watch for a used one I can save some dough on. Finding a place for a rack on the tower would be a must as keeping one in a full DD is pretty rough.

Matt

if you are going to get one, wait and hold our for a SKY SKI and bag the Air Chair.....

You can come down anytime and ride mine

JB

First time I rode one I was hooked. Group of 5 of us, had no idea what we were doing or how to ride it. Hired it from the local Ski shop. Never seen one ridden before. Must have taken 300 goes to get up on it. We were all sore the next day from laughing at each other!!!! My brother thought he had it sorted & we were pulling it out too slow, so he had me pull him out like I would for a 120kg bloke on a slalom ski. (LCR320 full throttle), Must have launched him 20ft in the air. Was hilarious to watch. Biggest regret of my entire life was not having a video camera going.

Now that we have an idea of what to do, we can get anyone up & flying that's never ridden one before in only a couple of pulls. Is a very addictive sport. Did I mention expensive!!!

I'm currently looking to upgrade from my old original airchair after having ridden mates Xair carbon fibre board & foiltech 40" foil & wings. Let me give you a tip. If you like riding these things, unless you want to shell out heaps of coin, DONT EVER ride a top of the line rig, as the need to upgrade will burn holes in your pockets. It was like getting off a mini bike (my setup) & getting on a race bike with wings (my mates setup). The difference in these top end foil setups from the original airchairs is beyond belief.

• Like 2

You can't do these kind of things on beginner foils. I was told to buy the best you can afford. I have done that and it has paid for itself many times over in smiles.

You all make it look so easy that I am pondering trying it again. I tried it back in 96 when I was 17. Friends dad had one and he was doing the flips and spins and all I remember doing was slamming my face multiple times into the water.

Oh its def not easy.....but once you get the hang of it they are a blast. I'm looking to upgrade in the off season. I have the older airchair version and it works but from what everyone says the better ones are light years better but that difference doesn't come cheap. You can find the airchair version for 450-700 on craigslist. The better ones seem to start around 1200 used.

• 2 weeks later...