Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What should I do?

jcarr343

I have considered giving it up as this is a very expensive hobby. The problem is its too much fun. :)

I can surf rope less but need to stay vary close to the swim platform. I may be doing something wrong with speed, but as soon as I increase to 10mph+ the push seems to disappear. Does anyone have a picture of the surf wave behind the VLX with a rider further away from the boat? Also, would a manual surfgate be worth it?

If I purchase a different boat, my budget could go as high as $70k.

YES, to the manual surfgate. you can do that for under $100 and it will make a world of difference.

Surprised it took to page 2. I agree. Board first, then boat. How chapped would you be dropping $60k on a new boat to have the same issue? :)

My limited experience with surfgate waves is that they don't have the push of a good listed wave. I don't think the gate is going to help you a lot with the setup you already run.

Is that not a good board? I am about 5'8" and 200lbs, what would be a good beginner board?

It's a beginners board. It will be very difficult to keep up with the boat when you go rope less.

If you want to keep up you need a fast board. Keep in mind fast boards are hard to ride in the beginning but once you get use to them they are super fun. It will take a few weeks to learn a fast board.

I currently ride a 2013 Ronix Parks Bonifay Carbon Thruster. With 3, 2.5 inch fins it's pretty fast.

Read thru this http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35332-the-ultimate-wakesurf-board-review-thread/

Not the best camera angle but this should give you an idea. Rider is 6'1" ~200 pounds. Again, we have the same hull so you should be able to get a good wave.

image_25.jpg

I may have mentioned in an earlier post that I'm 6'4" and 285. I ride that same inland surfer swallow v2 that he's on in the above pic. I can get a good two pumps forward and still be in the meat of the wave. It may not be a 23 or 247 wave but it works.

Edited by isellacuras

I switched from a liquid force custom thruster (surf style) to Victoria Factor PCX (skim-with help from wakemitch)..... world of difference. I'm in no position to give anyone tips or advice on surfing. But, this board makes surfing so much more fun. Use to have to work to hang in the pocket, now it's effortless.... 5'11 / 215. Spend $5-700 on a board first.

• Like 1

Something ain't right here. I wish I was local would love to come out and help... Board ballast or technique. There are a few of us that would prefer a listed wave over surf gate. I don't think SG (or wicked wakesurf) is going to solve your issues.....

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

Is the LF Fish surfer I have really that bad? I thought it would be a good starter board before spending $600+ on something nicer. It does seem like I cannot get any speed on the wave. I have sunk the tip a couple times shifting my weight so far forward. Maybe I should have just bought a better board to start with?

I am now leaning towards keeping VLX instead of trying something else.

Where and which one of the 10,000 lakes are u at? There had to be a crew member with a decent wave in your area that can give you a. Pull, or come out with you.

Or post up a video, and you can get some feedback

Is there a local watersport shop in your area? Talk to a local shop and tell them about your issue. They may be willing to let you demo a few different boards to find one you like(may be a small fee).

Who knows, offer the guy a free couple of rides, if he will come out to the lake with you and help you dial your wake in while trying new boards. If you go this route, be prepared to buy a board from that guy. Don't stiff him and go buy one off the internet.

You should be able to get plenty of push the way you have the boat currently weighted. I have a '06 Vride, granted it is a different hull and run 500 bow, 500 mid, 750 rear surfside locker, wedge or no wedge(crew dependent) at 10.2 - 10.6 and have no issue. Ride plenty far back from the platform. I'm 5 11 200. Wife rides a SLOW SLOW Hyperlite Landlock 5 11'(don't laugh, bought it when I had a Direct Drive) and she can ride all day without losing the push.

Gotta be the rider or the board.

Edited by NCVride

Is the LF Fish surfer I have really that bad? I thought it would be a good starter board before spending $600+ on something nicer. It does seem like I cannot get any speed on the wave. I have sunk the tip a couple times shifting my weight so far forward. Maybe I should have just bought a better board to start with?

I am now leaning towards keeping VLX instead of trying something else.

LF Fish is fine you just need to reset your expectations of the board and what it's capable of.

Like you said it's a starter board that's it.