Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What should I do?

jcarr343

I know that only I can make this decision, but I would like some input from my fellow forum users...

I am trying to decide if I should upgrade to a newer boat or modify what I have to suit my needs. The boat is an 09 VLX and below is a list of things that are bugging me.

1 - I cannot seem to get a good surf wave out of this boat. I am running MLS plus 750 in surf locker, 400 surf side, and 400 bow. I've tried everything from 8 - 11 mph and cannot get good push. I end up having to ride almost on top of the swim platform. Is this just how it is with an 09 VLX or do I simply need more weight? Also, the time and effort it takes to fill all these bags up manually if a pain.

2 - The audio system needs an upgrade. I cannot stand the source unit they put in these Malibu's and I would like to have tower speakers. I suspect $2k-$3k in upgrades would go a long way, but am not sure about putting that kind of money into an "older" boat.

3 - The 09 Malibu does not come with snap out carpet. I try very hard to keep the boat in mint condition, but the floor just looks matted down and old. I also like some features like transom seating on the newer style hulls.

4 - I don't have a lot of experience with other boats, but it seems like the VLX does not handle rough water very well.

If I get something newer, i want to limit my budget to less than $70k (closer to $60k is better). I would also consider a non-malibu boat.
Is that enough of a budget to get a better surf boat, or should I just stick with what I have?

If I stay with the 09 VLX, I will have to upgrade to PnP rear ballast and upgrade the audio.

1. Your 09 VLX should surf very well with the weight you describe. Do you have built in bow ballast or just the 400 bag? Do you use wedge? I use wedge in the fully down position for me (I'm a big un) but not for my lighter riders and never on the port side. You may just need to shuffle weight around a bit to find the right set up. I have a 2012 vlx which is the same hull and I have a respectable wave with similar weight, maybe slightly more.

2. Audio system is something to consider in any boat. If you're talking about a full system upgrade, I think 2-3k is a little light. You can get a full system for that but it may leave a little to be desired. Good tower speakers and a good amps to run them is ~ $2000. Add cabin speakers, sub, amps to run them, a zone controller and wiring and you're well over a $3k budget. This may very well be the same for a new boat if you decide to go that way.

3. Snap out carpet is nice but it gets matted down too. Each type of alternate flooring has it's own pluses and minuses.

4. Malibus kinda stink in rough water. The bigger you get, the better but still inherently bad, especially compared to deeper V hulls. Fill your center tank in bigger chop and they settle down a bit.

You will have lots of choices in the 60-70k range. If you only surf, other brands may be a viable option. If you do it all, it's hard to beat a malibu but..., I'm high on the malibu Kool aid, do all different types of disciplines, have kids that wake and kneeboard at slower speeds so the VLX fits my needs perfectly.

Edit: to fix incorrect spell check corrections. And by the way, I don't think of a 2009 as an "older" boat.

Edited by isellacuras

My VLX has a bow tank and I think its around 300 lbs. I fill this bow hard tank plus a 400lb sac while surfing. I also run with the wedge fully deployed.

For stereo, I would try and keep the cabin speakers and perhaps just upgrade the amps. I would also build a sealed enclosure for the sub. Most of my expense should be from the tower speakers and source unit. I would do all the installation work myself.

I have never tried it with the center tank full and will have to give it a shot.

well said isell. Op, you are in a tough spot because you can either sink 5k into your existing boat or cut your losses and move on to what you want. Other than surf do you do any other water sports? What is your normal crew size? I was in the same boat as you. I decided to sell my boat and upgrade. I got tired of bags everywhere and having to slam my boat to the point my wife was nervous driving.

Edited by Pnwrider

We went through the same decision last winter, albeit with an OLD boat, unlike I think your as, and decided upgrading to a newer model was the best choice. From what I've seen your boat will throw a great listed wave, but I like the ability to load the boat evenly and use a surf system to create wave. Easier and safer for my less seasoned drivers IMO.

Also +1 on looking into an Axis, depending on what model you choose you can get a VERY well optioned one in your budget.

Normally I'd say keep your boat, upgrade the stereo, and automate the ballast. But it seems odd that you can't get a good wave out of that boat with all that weight. You can't really automate the ballast until you have figured out where to put it.

Normally I'd say keep your boat, upgrade the stereo, and automate the ballast. But it seems odd that you can't get a good wave out of that boat with all that weight. You can't really automate the ballast until you have figured out where to put it.

do as you say not what you do ??

your signature tells a different story :whistle:

do as you say not what you do ??

your signature tells a different story :whistle:

It's a bit of an addiction... I don't necessarily recommend my addictions to others.

But by all means... if the OP is just looking for an excuse to put a new fiberglass tub in his garage, I can play that game all day long.

• Like 3

It's a bit of an addiction... I don't necessarily recommend my addictions to others.

But by all means... if the OP is just looking for an excuse to put a new fiberglass tub in his garage, I can play that game all day long.

isn't that what we are all looking for?

isn't that what we are all looking for?

I can live with having to add some items to make the boat more of what I want. What I am most concerned with is that the boat will not throw a good surf wave no mater what I do.

This is what I would need to add during the off season:

- Surf forks for swivel racks ($250 each pair)

- PNP rear ballast ($300 each side)

- Manual surf gate (not sure if I want to do this or not)

- Audio upgrade ($3k budget)

I've considered an Axis with Surfgate, but I was not that impressed with the interior of those boats. I do like the new look of Moomba if I went for a budget boat. I was also looking at an X25, but don't know much about it. Seems like a 23LSV with Surfgate may be out of my price range. The 22MXZ looks great on paper, especially with that transom seating (would love to have that), but I heard they don't have that great of a surf wave.

Yeah... you sound like a guy who's "done" tinkering with your current boat.

22 MXZ is just as expensive as 23 LSV, if not a bit more. Neither one of which you'll find for $60k.

If you really want a new boat, I'd look for a leftover '15 T22 or T23. I know my dealer has been sitting on a T23 since the boat show.

I'm not sure I'd go Moomba. The ones I've seen with the manual surf system (flow?) did not make very good waves. If you can get one with the automated system from the Supra that might be better.

Either way, I'd start doing demos like asap and get behind as many new boats as possible. Let the dealers know you'll be making your decision based solely on surf wave, so they need to bring their "A" game and have the boats set up properly. Use your own surf board so you eliminate that particular variable.

• Like 2

What about the A22? Is that considered a good surf boat? Or is the T series a better choice?

The new A22 (2015+) is supposedly alot better surf hull than the previous A22.

Demo both and decide!

I demo'd a 22 MXZ for surfing last fall and hated it. It required ALOT of cheating to get a clean, long wave on the port side.

If you can't surf behind a 2009 VLX rope less with that much weight you might want to take up a different activity.

I'm not hating on the guy, but I have thought this exact thing since I originally read this topic.

• Like 1

If you can't surf behind a 2009 VLX rope less with that much weight you might want to take up a different activity.

I have considered giving it up as this is a very expensive hobby. The problem is its too much fun. :)

I can surf rope less but need to stay vary close to the swim platform. I may be doing something wrong with speed, but as soon as I increase to 10mph+ the push seems to disappear. Does anyone have a picture of the surf wave behind the VLX with a rider further away from the boat? Also, would a manual surfgate be worth it?

If I purchase a different boat, my budget could go as high as $70k.

I have considered giving it up as this is a very expensive hobby. The problem is its too much fun. :)

I can surf rope less but need to stay vary close to the swim platform. I may be doing something wrong with speed, but as soon as I increase to 10mph+ the push seems to disappear. Does anyone have a picture of the surf wave behind the VLX with a rider further away from the boat? Also, would a manual surfgate be worth it?

If I purchase a different boat, my budget could go as high as $70k.

What kind of board do you have? I ride at 10.5 in my older VLX and have plenty of push with just my wife driving 240 front, full center, 750 in rear locker and the wedge down.

You have a sweet boat. My guess is it's your board.