Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Damn Toobers

saidainc

Wow, nice work. Tubes are really dangerous when used properly.

I had a friend who used a snap hook to attach his tube to the rope, and at least it was him that got to find out why you don't do that. In a freak move, the tube bounced in the air and made just enough slack in the rope for the hook to catch his cheek as the rope tightened again. The hook entered just below the eye socket, and tore his cheek all the way down past his teeth. The whole cheek was just hanging there like a huge flap.

He got lucky at the hospital, where a good plastic surgeon happened to be already in for another job. You had to know it had happened to see the scar after he healed, but I still shudder at the thought of that hook having him just a half inch higher in the eye.

I hope you and your son heal quickly!

Figure 8's and even circles are a no-no on our local lake, mostly for traffic purposes. However, this is a better reason! I use to tube as a kid after the skiing and wake boarding was done, mostly with friends that did not know how to do either. It was fun, but as you get older, it no longer is fun and is more painful than ever. Now that I own my own boat, it's smaller "S" turns no more than 22mph. I don't look forward to pulling them out at all and they sit at the bottom of the starboard rear locker on purpose. The older you get, the less influential you can be on those things and the greater the pain!

We pull a tube from time to time. I set the cruise on about 22 and thats it. I refuse to be one of the brain dead toobers that cut in and out of other boats and mess up the water for everyone else.... unless there's a bass boat that is doing 70 through the area. In that case, I like to create a bunch of rollers and watch them hit them so they slow down. LOL!!

Edited by bamabonners

On Sunday I was pulling my 8 year old daughter water skiing. I was in calm water following the shoreline about 200' off. When a boat pulling two tubes full off 4 people on each tube, tied to the tower of course, went between myself and the shoreline. They were going faster then us and then proceeded to turn in front of me and cut us off. If I wouldn't have had all three of my children in the boat I would have hunted that boat down and it wouldn't have been pretty. I can't stand bad drivers that have zero respect for others on the lake and don't consider the safety of the people they are towing or the safety of the others on the lake.

I am not a fan of tubers either, my kids love it and I let them do it for minimal amounts of time as long as they put in plenty of time on the skis, wakeboards, kneeboard etc. The smiles on their faces and the constant giggles after a fun and safe ride is worth the 5 minutes of doing something I cant stand. Tubing has a time and place if done properly as long as the driver takes into consideration the safety of his own, others around and respects the calm water coves by staying out. They also have to be aware of the rollers that could and will end up in the flat water areas. My kids understand this and have no problem with not tubing if I turn them down due to the lake traffic and conditions.

And to think someone green lit the production of the flying tube...Mantaray's I believe they were called.

Man I miss those things!!

It was natural selection at its finest. If you survived those things it was a badge of honor.

Edited by mountaineerhill

Although I am mercilessly hammering on toobers, I was talked into blowing ours up (despite the fact that we havent been on it in 2 years) and taking those guests for a ride that neither surf or wakeboard. Against my better judgment, I jumped in with my son (age 8) and after a few minutes of some figure 8's and S turns, we caught some tandem waves and the toob sandwiched me and my boy together, jamming my jaw down onto the top of his head.

I dislocated my jaw, left several pieces of teeth in his head and bit through my lip.

Damn toobers....now I really hate them and their craft.

Dont worry doc, pics to follow.

Was this on Sunday? I swear, that place was jinxed...before I even got to the dock someone was getting towed in and another with engine troubles. My days was a bit FUBAR too if that makes you feel any better.

I dislike pulling tubes but sometimes that's all there is to do for certain people or bad water. I usually find the roughest spot of the lake and pull double ups. Slow circle, nail it & let off. Decent air & slow speed so rarely anyone gets hurt and everyone has fun..................................but I'd prefer not to at all................

Most injuries I've seen on the water include a to0b. It's so weird, I mean - it's a big bouncy rubber thingy you sit on... how the hell you get hurt on THAT above flat, hard, fiberglass things you stand on is a mystery. But it's the truth, none-the-less.