Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Damn Toobers

saidainc

Although I am mercilessly hammering on toobers, I was talked into blowing ours up (despite the fact that we havent been on it in 2 years) and taking those guests for a ride that neither surf or wakeboard. Against my better judgment, I jumped in with my son (age 8) and after a few minutes of some figure 8's and S turns, we caught some tandem waves and the toob sandwiched me and my boy together, jamming my jaw down onto the top of his head.

I dislocated my jaw, left several pieces of teeth in his head and bit through my lip.

Damn toobers....now I really hate them and their craft.

Dont worry doc, pics to follow.

I understand if you have young kids and all they can do is tube.... but for the love of god stay out of the calm coves where people are trying to wakeboard and surf. I thought the whole point of tubing was to hold on for dear life which you can do in choppy water. There is no need to wake-up a calm cove pulling a tube. #endrant

This is my first year tubing and it took me a long time to get here. I just don't like it, and I don't like driving my boat in that manner either. It goes against all my prinicples.

• Like 1

We were out Sat morning starting about 8am to wakeboard. By 9:15 there were 6 wakeboats in the general area. There was a total of 1 wakeboard in the water out of all fo these boats - ours. (one surfer as well) Every other boat had one or more tubes behind it.

Side note - pulling two 4-person tubes, with 3-4 people on each from the tower - that seems like a huge amount of load to me.

We were out Sat morning starting about 8am to wakeboard. By 9:15 there were 6 wakeboats in the general area. There was a total of 1 wakeboard in the water out of all fo these boats - ours. (one surfer as well) Every other boat had one or more tubes behind it.

Side note - pulling two 4-person tubes, with 3-4 people on each from the tower - that seems like a huge amount of load to me.

I just don't get why people buy these boats to tube behind. I see it on our lake all the time. The ride of these boats through chop is terrible. I always hated pulling tubes behind our boat becasue I felt like I was beating the heck out of it pounding all the time. I'd much rather have a nice Cobalt or Crownline for tubing.

Dislocated jaw... that must be a unique pain all to itself. Hope you get better soon...beer out of a straw is no bueno.

Edited by DIE2SURF

In the last two days I've pulled surfers, wake boarders, ski trainer for the kids, and a tube. I don't do figure 8s in tubes. You need to be a skilled driver when pulling a tube as the driver is in complete control. A boarder can move away from an obstacle, the driver can throw a tube at an obstacle.

Heal quickly

My wife had a similar experience with my daughter on a tube. No dislocation but a bloody lip and mouth. I like to refer to tubes as the circle of death.

wife was driving, the other boat that created the opposite wave was toobing also....

caeca288-50db-405d-b78e-fb8d5338837a_zps

Ouch. Hope your son is ok! Speedy recovery to you both!

I would bet it was lucky peak. Saw a setup similar to your description on the macks creek side. Sorry to hear this happened. It was complete and utter mayhem yesterday! It seemed like the jet skis were multiplying right on the water and there were more idiots than the lake could hold. We had our own near miss with a boat pulling a tube coming up right behind our surfer. Our tube has a hole in it...

Sorry to hear about the broken teeth and jaw pain, but it looks like it shouldn't be too bad to repair. If you were a mere mortal, those teeth would be much worse than that. Thanks for including the pictures though, that's good stuff! Looks like you probably grind your teeth a lot, ask whoever you see to make you a splint to wear at night after your teeth are repaired. That will help your jaw heal better and not develop a chronic problem. Do your teeth feel like they fit together the same as before the accident?

• Like 2