Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Boat Horse Power Questions? Benefits? Explanation?

gordon20mxz

This is being tested again now. The new version will not allow you to shift if your RPM is over a certain point, like 1000 RPM. The first version allowed shifting similar to a car, so when you got to a certain speed it would change. I guess it was very clunky.... New design sounds much better.

I rode behind a MB with the 2-speed transmission, and it did feel, and sound, very clunky.

This is being tested again now. The new version will not allow you to shift if your RPM is over a certain point, like 1000 RPM. The first version allowed shifting similar to a car, so when you got to a certain speed it would change. I guess it was very clunky.... New design sounds much better.

Interesting.

They should have started offering this when they dropped the big block (496ci).

Thread bump... New but related question.

Assuming everything is equal. Example 2015 23 LSV vs 2016 23 LSV same hull

Trying to stay apple to apples, let's say 2015 has 409 and 2016 410. The only real difference other than Ford vs GM. The 2016 will have a different tranny 1.72:1 vs 1.48:1.

So here is the question. If a person surfs @ 12 MPH and the RPM is 4000 in the 2015 would the RPM be ~4650 in the 2016 given same prop, ballast, temp, elevation etc. If this is correct then prop selection should change significantly for the 2016's. The go to 2315 will likely be too much prop. This should lead to a new prop market with 15" diameter and more pitch. 14~17 pitch.

With Nautique G 17x17, is the standard, as BU limits to 15" diameter, 17" pitch should be useable.

Is my thinking correct or am i missing something?

Thread bump... New but related question.

Assuming everything is equal. Example 2015 23 LSV vs 2016 23 LSV same hull

Trying to stay apple to apples, let's say 2015 has 409 and 2016 410. The only real difference other than Ford vs GM. The 2016 will have a different tranny 1.72:1 vs 1.48:1.

So here is the question. If a person surfs @ 12 MPH and the RPM is 4000 in the 2015 would the RPM be ~4650 in the 2016 given same prop, ballast, temp, elevation etc. If this is correct then prop selection should change significantly for the 2016's. The go to 2315 will likely be too much prop. This should lead to a new prop market with 15" diameter and more pitch. 14~17 pitch.

With Nautique G 17x17, is the standard, as BU limits to 15" diameter, 17" pitch should be useable.

Is my thinking correct or am i missing something?

In reference to your post Darkside, one can not compare the GM and the Ford as apples to apples. They tried to do that when they went to prop it, and the engineers had to throw it all out the window and start fresh. Due to the major differences in torque, or probably more appropriately the torque curve, the props from the GM power plants will not work.

- The Ford is really a torque monster in comparison. Transmission ratios and props have changed. The numbers on the Ford block are Torque numbers, not horsepower.

- The prop you used on a 2015 will not be the prop you can use on a 2016, short of simply getting the boat home again.

In reference to Gordon's mid-thread post about prop slippage, you need to simply throw that concept out. It really is a pretty consistent factor, and for the purposes of any horsepower or prop discussion it is worthless to involve it. Frictional drag is a non-factor even more so.

Peter

Peter,

Thank you, just tying to equate the changes. So the base 410 is going to be very similar to last year's LS3. The ls3 was 424 ft/lb of torque, verses the new 410. But the new 410 has the new tranny as well, so that should easily compensate for the 14 ft/lbs.

Am i close or still in left field?