Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Underwater Sport: Scalloping

justgary

We went scalloping today in St. Joseph Bay, FL. It was overcast and rainy most of the day (which makes them harder to see), but we stuck with it and caught a bunch. We didn't limit out for the first time in a long time, but it was fun anyway. Basically, you snorkel around in waste-deep water looking for them.

In bright sunlight you can see their blue eyes very clearly. Bay scallops are much smaller than sea scallops, but taste the same. The muscle that you eat is about the size of the end of your finger. Commercial harvesting is no longer allowed. The limit is 2 gallons unshucked or 1 pint shucked per person, up to 5 people per boat.

20150815_175616.jpg

20150815_143855.jpg

• Like 3

Not a sport ;) j/k

Oh, yeah? We were on (and in) the water for six and a half hours, dodging lightning and rain, and didn't limit out. If that's not sport, I don't know what is!

The last time I went (three years ago), we hit the limit in about an hour or so. Getting out early helps, as does a sunny day. The little buggers are well camouflaged. Sometimes they see you coming and swim into the grass.

Looks like a fun way to kill a day. Any sharks in that area?

Funny you should ask. Until yesterday, I would have told you no. But we were putting along through the grass with the motor on half tilt late in the afternoon and my wife pointed out a fin. The grass was up to the surface of the water, and the water was maybe two feet deep. It might have been a three footer nosing his way through the grass.

Later, at the ramp, I was talking to two guys and they asked if we saw the sharks as drove past them. They were working some deeper holes (6-8 feet deep) and had a four footer swim near them.

So, yes sharks are in the area, but I would not worry about them unless you are dragging a chum bag around.

Funny you should ask. Until yesterday, I would have told you no. But we were putting along through the grass with the motor on half tilt late in the afternoon and my wife pointed out a fin. The grass was up to the surface of the water, and the water was maybe two feet deep. It might have been a three footer nosing his way through the grass.

Later, at the ramp, I was talking to two guys and they asked if we saw the sharks as drove past them. They were working some deeper holes (6-8 feet deep) and had a four footer swim near them.

So, yes sharks are in the area, but I would not worry about them unless you are dragging a chum bag around.

So, yes sharks are in the area, but I would not worry about them

People say the same things about snakes....

And in the case of both, I Say "Run Forest, Run!"

• Like 1