Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Losing power

The boat takes off fine runs good for maybe 10 minutes then it's like somebody shuts off the gas. Pull the power for a minute and its takes off fine again for another 10 minutes or so. Boat has new plugs, distributor cap, rotor , fuel filters [high and low pressure],thermostat and impeller. The lanyard has been bypassed and I have a fuel pressure gauge. Fuel pressure is fine in driveway on fake a lake. I'm going to hook up the fuel pressure gauge while out on the water tomorrow while under way.

Any ideas? It's like something just stops the flow of fuel.

Our 98 Sportster had similar symptoms when the fuel pump was dying. Idled fine, pulled the skier up, then bogged down 1/2 way thru the course. Took pump apart, cleaned it, hooked to 12v seemed to run well. Within a week died completely. New pump the cure.

BTW the mantra at our lake is "Old Guys Rule" so you are welcome anytime!! (I realize a bit of a commute for you though)

Edited by Rednucleus

I just took the fuel pump off an 02 for a friend who was having trouble and the screen on the inlet was plugged. Cleaned it and it works perfect now. His ran great, but would not rev over 4k.

• 3 weeks later...

OK update, here is a list of whats be done.

New plugs

New distributer [installed by boat mechanic]\

New coil

New impeller

Same problem as before. I am going to order a new fuel pump. Boat mechanic suggested I try this. Should I order a code reader also? I am about take the boat to the water and pull the plugs and let it go to the bottom and take up "tidally winks".

I removed the pump and cleaned it with carb cleaner. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tiddlywinks&view=detailv2&qpvt=tiddlywinks&id=F906AF70FA7E6DCECFBBC5B4DE478C807BA14A34&selectedIndex=1&ccid=eR03%2b2h%2f&simid=608035578747290490&thid=JN.N9K%2bbvfii%2fLRY046prAm7Q

Edited by OLDGUY