Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Morse 3 throttle questions

2 part question...

So I've been trying to figure out what to tighten to make sure my throttle doesn't back itself off when I'm moving. If I don't have a good 1/3-1/2 throttle, the bumps and slight vibrations will cause the throttle to back off so far that the cruise falls off. This is mainly an issue with wakeboarders and new skiers but it's still annoying. I've tried tightening everything on the throttle side but that did nothing. This is a picture of my throttle for reference.

IMG_20150814_184611_zpselbs36m1.jpg

While trying to figure out what makes the throttle so back itself off, I noticed this metal piece broke. I can't really figure out what it does. Putting the throttle in gear pushes that little metal spring in and returning it to neutral the spring should push it in but obviously doesn't when it's broken. Only I can't figure out why it needs to go in. It's not a neutral safety switch because I tried all the combinations and it still starts with the button in and out but never in gear.

IMG_20150814_184340_zps8ahyhusd.jpg

The spring breaking is a common problem and when I contacted Sea Star Solutions and told them mine broke they sent me two springs for free.When mine broke I was on the lake and throttle fell foward and boat went full throttle luckily no one was riding or in front of me better fix that before you use the boat again.

The spring breaking is a common problem and when I contacted Sea Star Solutions and told them mine broke they sent me two springs for free.When mine broke I was on the lake and throttle fell foward and boat went full throttle luckily no one was riding or in front of me better fix that before you use the boat again.

I can't even keep the throttle down at the moment. How does that spring allow the throttle to go wide open? Is it the throttle handle that falls down or does the cable somehow moves independently of the handle?

Typically the spring breaking does cause the throttle to fall forward as described. Replacing the broken spring will add a bit of resistance to the throttle and possibly help you problem. It won't " fix" the problem you are describing. This throttle set up is designed to be driven with a hand on it at anything below about 1/2 throttle. Speed control is the quickest answer to the problem. The only other thing you might look at is at the other end of the cable where it hooks up to the throttle body to see if you can reduce the return spring tension.

The flat spring needs replacing for sure anyway. I never worked with one of those so I'm not sure how they work. I have the older throttle I believe and could not keep it at 1/4 throttle without holding a hand on it. If I removed my hand, the throttle would drop back to idle. I installed a small screw type hose clamp holding an old shaft coupler key around the throttle cable under the drivers dash where it was easy to get to. I carefully tightened the clamp around both the key and the cable housing to apply some friction pressure. Works perfect now.

Well if the spring is free or not, I didn't really want to wait to get one shipped to me so I made one. Took a random feeler gauge out of my set, shaved down the middle, and bend the ears over. Appears to work like a champ.

e411c883-b95b-4215-ae30-7e8ba9f6b2d2_zps

IMG_20150816_181548_zpsxdzxrrmi.jpg

• Like 3