Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ECHELON with the Wake or Diamond hull for footing, Has anyone footed the Diamond

JB-FOOT

As for any BIG stern rollers during take-off from the diamond hull...I would be more concerned about the big BOW roller of the Wake hull, heh. (I love this pic of Brett's). Then again, the rollers might just be coming from a diamond wake of the photographer's Eche.

post-5643-0-62554600-1439579430_thumb.jp

Edited by DIE2SURF

As for any BIG stern rollers during take-off from the diamond hull...I would be more concerned about the big BOW roller of the Wake hull, heh. (I love this pic of Brett's). Then again, the rollers might just be coming from a diamond wake of the photographer's Eche.

HOLY CRAP

I had heard about this model, but I have never seen one until now,

the "famed" Subelon

@JB-Foot: not a totally accurate comparison and with a bit of commentary: increased chine or added chine width will change the dynamic pitch of the boat as the chine tends to lift at least slightly behind the center of gravity or pitch center while in motion. I added chine to my 94 and use it for footing. The noticeable differences are softer outer edge of wakes so slightly less definition there and a slight rounding of the table. The chine will basically soften all the defined edges as a generality. I did add much more chine than the difference in the standard to diamond so those changes should be pretty subtle given the smallish change in comparison to what I did. I have not footed behind the 99 RLX although I can tell the differences in it's slalom wake to a standard SV23 hull so one can assume barefoot differences might also be noticed. Not quite what you wanted but hopefully not totally useless info! Hopefully you could find one to try before you buy.

@JB Foot: part 2, I don't know which cam the Callaway uses, you might want to check. It should be fine at the top end, there is a chance it won't have the off idle grunt from the standard GM marine cam. I think it also has some pretty big runners which would also create similar better high end, some sacrifice at low end. I would think the only real concern would be Multi footer deep water starts, once rolling should have good acceleration and plenty of mid range.

The chine does slightly lift the boat (more than SV 23) which causes just a bit more prop wash due to the prop being closer to the surface. It also lessens the curl ever so slightly due to the hull having skimmed over the water rather than depressing it. The top end speed it about the same as standard hull would be.

The table of the wake is still very cross able even by a novice even at 75 ft, just not "quite" as turbulence free as the SV 23 hull. I didn't read the entire thread from the start, what engine is in this boat?

The chine does slightly lift the boat (more than SV 23) which causes just a bit more prop wash due to the prop being closer to the surface. It also lessens the curl ever so slightly due to the hull having skimmed over the water rather than depressing it. The top end speed it about the same as standard hull would be.

The table of the wake is still very cross able even by a novice even at 75 ft, just not "quite" as turbulence free as the SV 23 hull. I didn't read the entire thread from the start, what engine is in this boat?

Grandude,

A Hammer Head 365 is in the boat I am considering.

And if the stern is lifted by the reverse chine, should I consider leaving the back seat i(or even a fat sac) for Additional weight to lower the stern and thus lower the prop's relationship to the surface?

Or am I over thinking this?

Edited by JB-FOOT

The threads I've seen with pictures haven't been on the Response hull, just the Sunsetter/Wakesetter hulls. That'd be kind of funny if I have the diamond hull because I've literally said for years I can't tell a difference between my SV23 hull and the SV23-Diamond hull. We need someone to post a similar photo of a pre 97 Response or Echelon so we can put this to rest once and for all. :)

That is 100% a diamond hull! Which is crazy. I never knew there was such a beast as a diamond-hulled Echelon!

Wonder if there are any '98 Echelon LXs out there with the Diamond. That'd make them the precursor to the Sunsetter LXi as the true first Diamond walk-through open bow.

Cool stuff.

Edited by UWSkier

You are probably kinda overthinking it. That motor should be pretty strong in that hull. I drove a 98 Response with the same engine a weeks or so ago and it ran well. Noticeable over a Monsoon and should hold together better than a 383. Seemed a little stronger out of the hole than a 383 as well. As you know clean Echelons are kinda the 4 leaf clover, so if you seem to like everything about it you should probably buy it and see what you think. You can always flip it if it's not the one you need.

That is 100% a diamond hull! Which is crazy. I never knew there was such a beast as a diamond-hulled Echelon!

Wonder if there are any '98 Echelon LXs out there with the Diamond. That'd make them the precursor to the Sunsetter LXi as the true first Diamond walk-through open bow.

Cool stuff.

If I had run into a '98 Echelon LX on the diamond hull, I would have bought it and kept it.

But remember UWSkier, the 98 Echelon LX utilized the step over open bow, as far as I know. I have seen a few 98 Echelon LX's with the step over bow, and Malibu claimed that's all they made was the step over in 98. However, I was also told I had the non-diamond SV23 hull even when I supplied my hull ID number to the factory.....so who knows what is out there. :) I was skeptical many, many years ago I in fact had the diamond hull as it looked so similar to my buddy's 2001 Response.

JB, if you pass on it, let me know. I am looking for that setup. Passed on a couple nice 350's recently in favor of find it. Thanks!

But remember UWSkier, the 98 Echelon LX utilized the step over open bow, as far as I know. I have seen a few 98 Echelon LX's with the step over bow, and Malibu claimed that's all they made was the step over in 98. However, I was also told I had the non-diamond SV23 hull even when I supplied my hull ID number to the factory.....so who knows what is out there. :) I was skeptical many, many years ago I in fact had the diamond hull as it looked so similar to my buddy's 2001 Response.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. Before I bought my SSLX, I was looking at a '98 walk through echelon, but it was in the PNW and I couldn't justify the shipping. Put the boat out of my budget. Mind you, this is what the owner of the boat at that time said, doesn't mean it's true.

It is a MOOT point for me....the boat was sold on Saturday and I was away breaking in a new boat

Oh well, I will find another one when it comes along.

Not in any hurry, as its not like I really need more boats anyways. ;) I KNOW that my wife would agree with that statement...

Edited by JB-FOOT
  • Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

@JB-Foot: just tell the CFO - "boats are really shoes for men, you can't have enough of them"

Although a great analogy I feel as it still won't work :rofl:

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

@JB-Foot: just tell the CFO - "boats are really shoes for men, you can't have enough of them"

Unfortunately I have more shoes than my wife too..... :whistle:

:blush:

I am the spender, she is the saver....

@JB-Foot: that is just wrong, lol! A footer having more shoes than the better half...

Ha....I never thought about it that way...It IS wrong ISN'T it...!?!