Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ECHELON with the Wake or Diamond hull for footing, Has anyone footed the Diamond

JB-FOOT

Looking at a 1998 Echelon Closed bow for another foot boat, but it has a Diamond hull on it with the turned down chine...

As you know we have a fleet of Echelons but all have the wake hull....

Have any of you fellow footers actually footed an Echelon with the Diamond Hull,

And I am assuming that the Callaway HH 365 will be almost as good as my 454's are in the 94 and 95 we have and better than the 97 Monsoon 320 Echelon

Come on fellow footers, bring me up to speed!!!!! and EDUCATE Me on the Diamond hull on the Echelons,

Not to be Rude, But I do not want any comparisons to any hull other than the Echelons, so lets not compare, Response, Sportsters, V-Drives etcl

Thanks in advance

JB-FOOT

:footing:

Hmmmm, that's not supposed to happen....1998 Echelon with the diamond hull I mean. Are you sure it's got the diamond hull? I've been saying this for years, but I just don't notice a difference between the SV23 and SV23-Diamond. He has since sold it, but I would ski my buddy's diamond hulled 2001 Response and my 98 Echelon back to back. Every discipline the wake was indistinguishable. Yes, noticed no difference at long line (90ft) footing either, but all I could do was cross the wake back and forth so I'm not an expert there by any means.

I'd like to sell my Echelon, for an open bow 03-06 LXI, but the wife is not on board at the moment.

Edited by Sethro

My '98 Echelon is also a diamond hull. (Though I've never footed behind it, so any additional info from me is likely worthless to the topic at hand.)

I remember when I was trying to figure out which hull I had, I sent the hull ID to Malibu to confirm I had the original SV23. No such thing as being called the wake hull back then. I was also told the few Echelons that were built in 98 all sat on the SV23 hull as they were early production runs to utilize the remaining Echelon specific materials.

I remember when I was trying to figure out which hull I had, I sent the hull ID to Malibu to confirm I had the original SV23. No such thing as being called the wake hull back then. I was also told the few Echelons that were built in 98 all sat on the SV23 hull as they were early production runs to utilize the remaining Echelon specific materials.

The difference is in the chine

on the NORMAL EChelon hulls the chine runs out flat from the hull where is meets the sides of the boat\

on the diamond, the chine has a turn back down to minimize short line spray for Slalom skiing,,,,and I believe would also produce more lift in the hull and possible running attitude of the boat.

and also may effect the speed.

but I have never seen one before nor driven nor footed an Echelon with the Turned Down Chine or Diamond as I am calling it....

it is a peculiar situation for sure.... I guess I could always run an SSP, but I really dont want to have to screw with that FINICKY plate and also RUIN its slalom skiing characteristics like what happens on the Response hull with an SSP on the back

My '98 Echelon is also a diamond hull. (Though I've never footed behind it, so any additional info from me is likely worthless to the topic at hand.)

I will fly out this weekend and we can foot it....always wanted to see California.... :thumbup:

That's what I thought too....but this one is a surprise...

If ever you are in Cali, just PM me for a pull. I've got a nice, virtually private body of water that is glass 90% of the time (when fishermen aren't out).

Pages 2-3 of this thread somewhat discusses the Diamond hull anomaly on '98 Echelons. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41356-98-echelon-lx/

thanks

Ha! I forgot I even posted in that thread. For some reason the pictures of your boat don't show up when I looked at the thread again. I'll go down to the boathouse and take a couple of photos of my hull. If there have been that many anomalies over the years, the factory could have told me wrong when I sent the hull ID. If it is in fact the diamond, JB would only have to fly to IL from PA...and maybe that's why I couldn't tell a difference between mine and my buddy's 2001 Response. :)

ya, I couldn't see any pics either. I've been having weird stuff happening to my user profile on the site for a while...might have something to do with it. Maybe I've been banned and they just forgot to lock down my posting permissions. heh...

Ha! I forgot I even posted in that thread. For some reason the pictures of your boat don't show up when I looked at the thread again. I'll go down to the boathouse and take a couple of photos of my hull. If there have been that many anomalies over the years, the factory could have told me wrong when I sent the hull ID. If it is in fact the diamond, JB would only have to fly to IL from PA...and maybe that's why I couldn't tell a difference between mine and my buddy's 2001 Response. :)

Gonna spend the weekend Breaking In (per the book :cry: ) a 2016 23LSV with the new Raptor Motor....every day you learn something new if we live long enough and keep Our Eyes and Mind open...

THANKS to all so far for your comments

So here are a couple photos of my hull. I've always noticed the downward turn of the chine on my hull, but I thought the diamond hull was more pronounced. What do you guys think?

IMG_0189_zpsejyhumbo.jpg

IMG_0188_zpsu6brbnqq.jpg

Edited by Sethro

Gonna spend the weekend Breaking In (per the book :cry: ) a 2016 23LSV with the new Raptor Motor....every day you learn something new if we live long enough and keep Our Eyes and Mind open...

THANKS to all so far for your comments

Look on the bright side, it won't be raining. :)

Sethro, mine is exactly like that...which is why I thought (and have been told) it's a diamond hull, and not a wake hull. Sure looks like a diamond compared to the thread on the subject, but I could be wrong.

So here are a couple photos of my hull. I've always noticed the downward turn of the chine on my hull, but I thought the diamond hull was more pronounced. What do you guys think?

IMG_0189_zpsejyhumbo.jpg

IMG_0188_zpsu6brbnqq.jpg

Yes that turned down Chine is NOT what we are accustomed to seeing on an Echelon...

That is the EXACT Hull style that I need help with...

The threads I've seen with pictures haven't been on the Response hull, just the Sunsetter/Wakesetter hulls. That'd be kind of funny if I have the diamond hull because I've literally said for years I can't tell a difference between my SV23 hull and the SV23-Diamond hull. We need someone to post a similar photo of a pre 97 Response or Echelon so we can put this to rest once and for all. :)

Post #29 in the thread I posted earlier. This pic is from BrettSki. Look at the flat lines on that Echelon.

Yes this is the GOLD standard of the Echelons I have and have had! the AWESOME footing hull that I have come to know and love...

Now I just need someone to tell me the Diamond is as good or better....

wait, just telling me wont do, LOL, I NEED proof....

JB, what characteristics are you mostly trying to find out? Chine spray?, barefoot slalom wake?, top speed issues?

YES!!!!!

and the usual Barefoot Stuff beside the three you just mentioned like

Table flatness or turbulence

Curl/Trough

Lip

all at approx 75-85 feet @ 40-43 mph

and any BIG Stern Roller on take off...

Edited by JB-FOOT

I'm not sure what I was thinking. JB would know if his Echelon didn't have the same downward chine. And that photo of BrettSki's boat sure looks different than mine. So I've had the diamond hull all along. Good grief. JB, for what it's worth I think the long line barefoot wake is more than acceptable. But again, I'm not nearly the same level you guys are.

Interestingly, the pic of the Wake hull compared to Sethro's shows a significant squared-out cut (like 2-3") at the rear corner where the side meets the bottom.

post-5643-0-77612600-1439577762_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-94818500-1439577773_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-02992100-1439578240_thumb.jp

Edited by DIE2SURF

I'm not sure what I was thinking. JB would know if his Echelon didn't have the same downward chine. And that photo of BrettSki's boat sure looks different than mine. So I've had the diamond hull all along. Good grief. JB, for what it's worth I think the long line barefoot wake is more than acceptable. But again, I'm not nearly the same level you guys are.

JB, for what it's worth I think the long line barefoot wake is more than acceptable.

Sethro,

Got any videos of you guys footing your Diamond hull so we can look at it and see how it compares to my posted videos of our Echelons?

Edited by JB-FOOT

Interestingly, the pic of the Wake hull compared to Sethro's shows a significant squared-out cut (like 2-3") at the rear corner where the side meets the bottom.

Yes the Chine is NOT turned down and the Larger cut out "Cheats" the footprint of the boat to be narrower and will change the wake table width I believe, plus it (i Believe) will let the stern ride lower in the water....all of these subtle differences are not so subtle in the wake of the boat. and when we are on our feet, we can feel all the little nuances....

Remember, we are River Prima-Donna's and we are Spoiled with our GLASS and we can feel the difference.....

Plus it is nice for us all to jump from boat to boat and get a consistent feel...

Of Course when we foot behind our FlightCraft, we don't mind that CHANGE in wake characteristics,,, :whistle:

Edited by JB-FOOT