Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Refurbished Subwoofers?

robbennett

Are refurbished subs any good or should I stay away? My kicker L7 12 had the coil seize up and I just built a new box for it. I want to keep the cost low so these are very appealing to me.

For (non-marine) pro audio stuff check out http://www.parts-express.com and you can find some hard-hitting stuff at really good prices. I'm running a set of home-built HLCDs on the tower using Eminance Beta-8CX and ASD1001 horn drivers. I used the Eminance Pro 18A in a few subwoofers for my PA system, and I'm going to put a Pro 18C (I think) in my boat during the off-season. If you put any of the pro audio gear in a boat, just make sure to coat the cones with something like "The Wet Look" to keep them from falling apart. I've run pro audio gear in my boat for years and never had a problem, but I keep my boat indoors when not in use and cover my speakers with SpeakerSox when I'm not running.

I've found that pro audio gear sounds much better than car audio gear since much of it is designed for open-air use instead of enclosed cabin (inside a car) use.

If you search, you'll see that Duane from NVS started with Eminance drivers for HLCDs back in the day and was able to get production runs of marine grade speakers eventually. They're really good stuff...

As Dezul said, if it re-coned by the manufacturer or by a reputable builder I wouldn't be worried.

If you look around YouTube, you can find some videos of people re-coning or manufacturing the spl type drivers.

Honestly it's not that hard to do and the motor (magnet) is the expensive part.

My sub has been reconed once since I owned it.