Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 raptor motors 400 vs 440

catalac

I might have my 2015 22vlx sold, so to order a 2016 question is base 400 or 440? from my friend google the 400 is referenced 404 torque, 385ish hp, the 440 appears to be 427 torque, 400ish hp. I'm thinking the $5000 up charge totally a waste for 23ftlbs. If you look at the 6.2 dyno charts the raptor truck motor made 434 torque vs the superduty 405, but it looks like a very small bump at 4500 rpm over the superduty version it's not a flat curve at all.

Nutty but I am considering the 575, 12k up charge I think I could prop it with a 14.5x16 would be like the old bigblock waksetter stump pullers.

^^^^^You are on the right track. The 440 upgrade is not worth the money. After 2 seasons behind the 400 and 440 I would stick with the 400. Great base motor.

Now the 575 is a beast and if I were in the market for a new boat and loaded it down with ballast and people all the time, it would be my choice.

• Like 2

Catalac,

The 12k is a tough pill to swallow. I did the LSA in my 15' i only have 17 hours on it, but i will never go back to less HP/Tq.

First, i had LS3 in my '14, even with 2419, i was out of power. I would have to drain ballast. I have LSA with 2247 in my '15. I have not found it's limit yet, nor do i expect to. Here is the added benefit, which is counter intuitive. My fuel consumption is WAY DOWN! In my '14 i would use 70+ gallons a day, i averaged 11~12 GPH surfing. However in the '14 i would have to run WOT, to achieve surf speeds, at WOT i could only spin 4100 RPM, i was out of HP! Now last weekend same lake as always, loaded heavier than i normally go, extra large crew, 9 vs standard 6. Surf 3100 RPM, power to spare, and at the pump, 52.6 gallons, 8.03 GPH. I know i can still prop up and improve that even further.

I do not intend to flip boat, i plan to keep it for a few years, So LSA ($12k motor upgrade) made sense. There is a significant amount of frustration, having an underpowered $120k boat. When spending the money the new boats cost, they better do, everything we want then to. If flipping every year this would likely be losing proposition, as you will likely only get 7~8k back at resale time.

If I were purchasing a 24MXZ or 25LSV, I'd definitely get the 575, but for the 22 VLX I'm not so sure. I'm running the new ACME 2773 (15" x 13 pitch) prop on my 22VLX with the LS3 and I feel the engine has plenty of power even when fully loaded. Of course, if I had the 575, I'd probably run a (15" x 14.25), which would be nice. I guess it comes down to how much the money matters to you. A big engine is like a big garage, you will never regret having it--if you can afford it?

• Like 2

I have 108 hours on the Indmar 409 this year in a 22 vlx. I'm sure the new Monsoon 410 is as good or better than the 2015 Indmar 409. I have yet to hit a speed wall, we only surf at 11 mph, but even at 2500', with full mls, wedge two clicks up, wakemakers 820's (which btw I hear are actually 950) in lockers and a 650 lb bow bag I am not at full throttle, probably 85-90%. I did this last week with the OJ 948 prop, my rpms were at 3150 which I thought was really good. If your not running at a higher altitude or wanting to run significantly more weight I think the new 410 would be a fine engine and get the job done for you plus save you some cash. But as Cory mentioned, you can't ever have too much power, the 450 would only be better.

Edited by Fman

It's the same motor they are talking about. The difference is just marketing.

Raptor 400 = Monsoon 410

Raptor 440 = Monsoon 450

monsoon badge is definitely good for 10.

• Like 2

Catalac,

The 12k is a tough pill to swallow. I did the LSA in my 15' i only have 17 hours on it, but i will never go back to less HP/Tq.

First, i had LS3 in my '14, even with 2419, i was out of power. I would have to drain ballast. I have LSA with 2247 in my '15. I have not found it's limit yet, nor do i expect to. Here is the added benefit, which is counter intuitive. My fuel consumption is WAY DOWN! In my '14 i would use 70+ gallons a day, i averaged 11~12 GPH surfing. However in the '14 i would have to run WOT, to achieve surf speeds, at WOT i could only spin 4100 RPM, i was out of HP! Now last weekend same lake as always, loaded heavier than i normally go, extra large crew, 9 vs standard 6. Surf 3100 RPM, power to spare, and at the pump, 52.6 gallons, 8.03 GPH. I know i can still prop up and improve that even further.

I do not intend to flip boat, i plan to keep it for a few years, So LSA ($12k motor upgrade) made sense. There is a significant amount of frustration, having an underpowered $120k boat. When spending the money the new boats cost, they better do, everything we want then to. If flipping every year this would likely be losing proposition, as you will likely only get 7~8k back at resale time.

Appreciate the fuel consumption info as my 15 vlx weighted surfing was burning a stupid amount of fuel, had to be 11-12 gallons min. I figure too because I'd be running 3/4-7/8 throttle most times.

monsoon badge is definitely good for 10.

the monsoon badge marketing at best, if the 400/410 is 404ftlbs, the 440/450 is 427 ft lbs. I guess when you insert that motor in a Malibu not only do you gain 6ftlbs in the base motor but 23ftlbs in the uncharged motor. Definatley badging, if they called the motors monsoon 404 and the monsoon 427, they would sell many for the $5k up charge.

Appreciate the fuel consumption info as my 15 vlx weighted surfing was burning a stupid amount of fuel, had to be 11-12 gallons min. I figure too because I'd be running 3/4-7/8 throttle most times.

I will update on Monday, going out for another long day Saturday. On long days i am saving a minimum of $50, on my weekday trips $20~30. Fuel savings is NOT why i bought LSA, but it it is a great bonus.

I am fortunate to live where i can go year round. So i put 200+ hours a year on, which makes it easier to justify upgrade. If i flipped every year, or only used it a few times a year, no way would i pony up for engine upgrades. Every one has a different set of reasons and criterion.

I know NyRyan is having similar results with his G. 550 saves gas, as well as provides the added power when you want it.