Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What brand engine oil in 15 Axis?

ndahlberg12

Manual reccomends running 15w-40 in the new PCM motors. I need to change oil again and want to do it myself rather than drive it to the dealer and pay $200 and lose a night of surfing.

What oil are you guys running?

I've seem some running Rotella Diesel oil and some running mercruiser.

Diesel oil for sure. If you up to synthetic it will likely be 5w-40 which would also be fine. We don't run our boats in 20 degree weather so the winter number isn't really relevant.

That said I use Mobil 1 Turbo diesel truck full synthetic and change at 40-50 hour intervals depending on how I use the boat.

For me using the expensive stuff around $40-45. I could do it with Rotella non synthetic and a cheaper filter for around $20-25.

I do it not only for cost but for peace of mind that everything was done right.

All they had was the expensive filter so that was $12 and I bought 2 gallons of Rotella so that I had some extra - $26.

So about $40.

My only frustaration was my oil drain hose didnt fit out of my drain plug. I was going to let the oil drain overnight after we came home from the lake while the engine was warm.

All they had was the expensive filter so that was $12 and I bought 2 gallons of Rotella so that I had some extra - $26.

So about $40.

My only frustaration was my oil drain hose didnt fit out of my drain plug. I was going to let the oil drain overnight after we came home from the lake while the engine was warm.

Don't bother doing that. Just get a pump (there are a plethora of options) and then go to home depot and get the correct threaded -> barbed hose fitting to put on the drain hose. Then attach hose to pump and drain hose and pump it out.. I think it's 1/2" NPT

Something like this. http://www.amazon.com/Derale-98106-Female-Straight-Fitting/dp/B004XOR8JK Bring the cap to home depot and match it up.

The pump I use is similar to this. http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Pump-Siphon-Gas-Liquid/dp/B004107292

You'll just need to be creative at home depot to match up the hoses your pump comes with and the threaded fitting.

Edited by boardjnky4

I had the same issue, ended up just putting a 90 degree fitting on and a 6" length of copper pipe. I just leave it on for future oil changes.

• 1 year later...