Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ATTN Diesel Owners

Tims

I use XDP's Summer Additive for the power boost

Power Service (Diesel Kleen) in the winter to prevent gelling. missed a tank last winter and had to go to 5 different part stores to find Diesel 911

It got cold enough in VA to gel diesel ??

Last winter was unusual for sure. The windchill coming of the hill we live on hit -10 one night. Wasn't enough to Gel the fuel solid but it started to crystallized and clogged up my fuel filters.

Holy crap. I'll be in a diesel before long.

I thought diesel gelling was a Michigan/Alaska type problem

Again this is stupid rare in VA and we have never had problems with any of our tractors in the winter months for years and years. I park my truck on a hill and leave early in the AM for work, was just prime for the coldest night of the year and I got caught out in the cold.

The parents run a 2015 6.7 Powerstroke and even in that weather the wait to start light was only on 10-15 seconds. My old cummins has A LOT done to it and doesn't like the cold so much...

Edited by mountaineerhill

I run my block heater on my 6.7 only when its parked outside. My 6.7 starts WAY better than my old 7.3 or 6.0 in the winter. Most diesel stations run anti gel in the fuel around here during the winter. NYRYAN - you should be fine.

martinarcher

My 7.3 started fine every day two winters ago. Lowest temps were close to minus 20. I know a buddy that runs his diesel truck back and forth to TX and said he's had trouble with southern states getting fuel and coming north into cold winter temps and seeing gel issues. He swears the southern fuel doesn't have the anti gel in it as much as the northern states.

My 7.3 started fine every day two winters ago. Lowest temps were close to minus 20. I know a buddy that runs his diesel truck back and forth to TX and said he's had trouble with southern states getting fuel and coming north into cold winter temps and seeing gel issues. He swears the southern fuel doesn't have the anti gel in it as much as the northern states.

this was exactly the case, I had just driven from Raleigh. NC.

• Like 1

I suggest everyone take a long look at this market study on the Diesel fuel additives.

http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

My personal opinion is that on a stock truck they don't do much. But when you run a external lift pump (Airdog / FASS) and performance injection pump like I do the added lubrication and Cetane is well worth it.

Edited by mountaineerhill
  • 2 weeks later...