Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to Quiet my 98 Sunsetter Exhaust

mtnbkr738

Hi all, so I have a stock 98 Sunsetter... I was in a friend of mines nautique and was amazed at how quiet it was. Im just wondering if there are any modifications to quiet down the exhaust of my sunsetter? Is there a cheaper idea than a Fresh Air Exhaust system? Seems like the flappers on my boat are fine, but I would like to be a little quieter.

Any thougths??

thx!

I changed my flappers to STE Silent Turn Down Exhaust soon after getting my '01 Sunsetter VLX ages ago and it had a noticeable difference. I added an FAE last year just for the sake of doing an upgrade over winter break. It was an okay improvement. Mostly behind the boat, but not much in the cabin.

I didn't go STE turndowns at the transom/exhaust, but I opted for the in-line silencers between exhaust manifold and muffler, and really liked the result (along with sound-proofing/insulating motor box).

Possibly check out www.cpperformance.com and look for the full time inline silencers. They have a large selection I believe. There may be a few other vendors who offer them.

I swapped my flappers for STE turndown tips, and while it isn't much quieter in the cabin, it is more of an even low moan now instead of the higher pitched popping. I plan to do the motorbox insulation next.

Are you sure that your boat still has the original mufflers in it?

I ordered my '98 with Silent Rider Mufflers (mufflers were an option in '98). They run inline, in between the exhaust risers and flappers. If I remember right, they probably could be installed without pulling out the gas tank. They were a 150 dollar option in 1998 and I see them on ebay right now for $215 each, skidim has mufflers all under $200.

There was also another option in 98 that I didn't get but it was marine insulation inside the motor hump. Probably a morning job, it's available at West Marine and it's called Noise Control Barrier Material.

Edited by CTSunsetter

I insulated the motor cover in my Sunsetter and it makes a significant difference at low speeds. I've thought about replacing the mufflers or going with FAE, haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Hi all, so I have a stock 98 Sunsetter... I was in a friend of mines nautique and was amazed at how quiet it was. Im just wondering if there are any modifications to quiet down the exhaust of my sunsetter? Is there a cheaper idea than a Fresh Air Exhaust system? Seems like the flappers on my boat are fine, but I would like to be a little quieter.

Any thougths??

thx!

There is not much price difference from the STE's and FAE. You will notice a significant sound difference between the flappers and FAE. Between the turn down tips and FAE it won't be as significant but still quieter and worth the upgrade imo. Plus with the FAE you will get the added benefit of reduced fumes.

I assume your boat doesn't have a muffler. I had a 1999 VLX and it didn't. I installed the FAE and it was like driving an electric boat. FAE makes a bigger impact on noise in boats that do not have internal mufflers. Defeats conventional wisdom but absolutely true. FAE would be best bet. Should be Under $500.

I assume your boat doesn't have a muffler. I had a 1999 VLX and it didn't. I installed the FAE and it was like driving an electric boat. FAE makes a bigger impact on noise in boats that do not have internal mufflers. Defeats conventional wisdom but absolutely true. FAE would be best bet. Should be Under $500.

Hey Bunji-- I do have a muffler....so maybe that's as quiet as it going to get unless i do something like FAE.???

Any thoughts anyone???

IMG_00542_zpsy2ifg0go.jpg

IMG_0053_zpsw0xgrfph.jpg

Edited by mtnbkr738

My Echelon has your same Primex mufflers. I added the in-line silencers (and kept the mufflers installed), and it helped a lot. However, I'm confident that FAE will beat out any "silent exhaust" (tips or in-line).

If it was me, I'd do what Die2Surf did. I didn't do anything to my old SSLX. While considerably louder than my RLXI, it didn't matter because it still sounded good. But, if I was going to keep the boat, I would have put silencers in.

I forgot that I also added a large remnant sheet of the soundproofing material (left over from my motorbox soundproofing project) to the underside of the lift-up floor right behind the motorbox (access floor to the mufflers/shaft/HDS box area). Since that floorboard sits right above the primex mufflers, I figured it might help lessen the loudness from that area; I do believe it helped. It's a very low/quite rumble in the back of the boat. People in the back seat can hear the cabin speakers and even have a conversation without yelling at 30mph.

ok-- so quick math tells me $475 to do silencers and STE, and $550 for FAE. (approx)

seems like its worth it to go the extra $ for the FAE.

Any other thoughts??

thx everyone!

Edited by mtnbkr738

Do you mean that you would install STE turn-down tips at the transom and in-line silencers behind the exhaust risers? I was under the impression that people chose one or the other. I guess there isn't any reason one couldn't do both, but it certainly bumps up the price.

I've never heard FAE in person, but a lot of people talk about it being extremely quiet.

Do you mean that you would install STE turn-down tips at the transom and in-line silencers behind the exhaust risers? I was under the impression that people chose one or the other. I guess there isn't any reason one couldn't do both, but it certainly bumps up the price.

I've never heard FAE in person, but a lot of people talk about it being extremely quiet.

well...lol...i dont know... i guess thats the impression i got was to add BOTH...

but that does seem redundant and a waste. (probably bad performance too)

Ok...so the STE are around $375...

i dont hear anyone raving about the inline silencers as a solution.

probably worth the extra $150 to go FAE

Ya, the inline are no where near as common. FAE is certainly gaining a lot of traction, especially when it comes to the added benefit of dispersing Carbon Monoxide.

I've heard the STE turn down tips can radiate the sound of the exhaust off of the water, but I honestly don't know.

@mtnbkr738: You have a standard and very common exhaust setup, you might do a closer comparison on the boat in question and see what specific components are different between the two boats. The other boat may have what is called the Silent Rider exhaust, which is a big tube mounted just aft of the exhaust manifolds and above the transmission and/or some motorbox insulation as noted above. The comparison will give you an idea of what to consider changing.

As for upgrades, several noted above, I suggest you also google "slip in silencers -or- slip in marine silencer" and that will pop up options under $100 and they work very well. CP Performance or Hardin Marine carry them except they do have an internal diameter of 4" that probably will be larger than your exhaust.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What is FAE? I'd like to quiet my 95 Sunsetter, but haven't heard of the FAE solution. Is that a more sophisticated set of tubes that would replace the Primex, or Silent Riders? I'm going to insulate the motorbox too. Now that the upholstery is updated, the boat just sounds too loud now. Funny how that works. Lol!

How hard is it to install the STE solution. Do you have to get back around the gas tank or remove it or can it all be done from the back? 2003 RLXi. Thanks

Yes, you need to get to the hoses inside the transom to change the tips, so you will probably need to pull the tank. That would also be a great time to change your exhaust and fuel hoses, which are probably due about now anyway.

What is FAE? I'd like to quiet my 95 Sunsetter, but haven't heard of the FAE solution. Is that a more sophisticated set of tubes that would replace the Primex, or Silent Riders? I'm going to insulate the motorbox too. Now that the upholstery is updated, the boat just sounds too loud now. Funny how that works. Lol!

Fresh Air Exhaust directs your exhaust underwater behind the boat. It works well to reduce the noise and fumes, but since it has a pipe sticking down at the back of the boat, it can affect the wake. Depending on your desires for your wake, this may or may not bother you.

I changed from flappers to STE tips and it did reduce most of the popping sound, leaving mostly the lower toned hum. I still want to insulate the motor box.