Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advice Needed for Pure Slalom Boat, on a budget...

asnowman

Shouldn't be vibration. Obvious choices are prop damage, shaft that needs alignment or bent shaft.

I asked about it, he said it had always been that way, and the prop had recently been checked. There were a number of other things that tell me this is not the right boat.

Now I need to find an RLXI to compare

ahopkins22LSV

Yeah that does look like a nice boat. But as oj and il said above. Vibration should not be present. And I agree with il you have a great baseline to go test drive a rlxi now. I think you will be very impressed.

I've got a pretty clean 1998 Response LX for $17,500. It has some hours, but the Monsoon is tight and runs strong, and we can remove the tower if desired.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/1998-Malibu-Response-LX-with-Swoop-Tower-for-sale-Gansevoort-New-York-51098.aspx

Peter

Edited by SmoothWaterMan
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, so in the past couple weeks i have been out behind a 2002 response LX, a 96 Tantrum, a 2003 Sportser, and checked out a 2005 response LXi. That last one needs a revisit...... on a better LXi..... working on that. So here is what i think i know....

Wife likes the 02 response lx, good ski wake upgrade for us, but isn't wild about the useless bow space or the lack of ease getting into the driver seat.

Wife likes the wake behind the tantrum, and I can grab one now for under 4k, running, needs interior. she does not like the hole shot on it though (tweaked her back getting out of the lake behind the 96 tantrum)

88Skier stopped by the dock (thanks to the recent install of the slalom course in front of the house) and i boldly bummed a ride. Nice soft wake, great holeshot, closed bow, which they use for ski storage, which i now love. The wake is nearly the same as the Tantrum. The CFO was having back pain and missed out on that one.

So here is my question, its 2 part. Should i expect the wake on a gen 1 RLXi to be better than these boats? and if you could grab a 2015 Response LXR at a 40k (yellow, open bow though), would you just do that?

Edited by asnowman

First part...Yes, the GEn 1 RLXI is better than what you've experienced.

The LXR is simply the RLX with a walk through. If you want to spend double what your budget is as stated previously, then go for the LXR. It's got some great features, proven hull, ZO, and it's kind of a timeless design.

Otherwise, find yourself a Gen 1 RLXI that's in your original budget. Can't go wrong either way with a second boat.

We were not looking to up the budget, and i still really don't want to. But, we drove past this on the way home from the lake the other day, and its just stuck in my head, plus it can be financed, which an older one can't be:

IMG_2055.JPG

We were not looking to up the budget, and i still really don't want to. But, we drove past this on the way home from the lake the other day, and its just stuck in my head, plus it can be financed, which an older one can't be:

IMG_2055.JPG

What do you mean "can't finance an older boat"? Dealers will finance any boat sale if a person qualifies (including private sales). Banks are a whole different issue that really only do a personal loan at a high rate and short term.

Get you summa that!

I started to text you earlier today and see if you found anything you liked.

still torn, considering this one too. It has a rebuilt hammerhead, which is a huge concern, but its fairly clean, though not without issues, no perfect pass, vinyl tears on one section. But it is yellow.....

5124081_20150612144527758_1_LARGE.jpg?t=

biggest question is which will ski better.....and no, i do not know how to barefoot, but did meet someone last week, that knows how.... could be fun... and painful

anyway, we are trying to meet up to try out an RLXi and i know i can try the LXR as it is at a dealer.

I love yellow! My boats do the talking in that regard. As a secondary boat I would think you would want it to be something that is paid for and not going to depreciate as quickly. Just my opinion though. Take that decal off the boat with the hammerhead and it is very sharp!

I think you can find and RLXI in your budget. You just may have to travel for it. I almost ended up with an '05 RLXI in the colors of that barefooter. Great looking color combination. If it were me, I'd shy away from that particular RLXI. I also agree with BlknYlwT22 on the depreciation thing.

Yeah, I initially thought about selling off the tower, and still might. I have been talking to the owner about the boat. Rebuild does have a 2 year warranty from what seems a reputable shop, just really far away if there is an issue. If that boat was a 1 owner, without the engine rebuild, I would have already bought it.