Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advice Needed for Pure Slalom Boat, on a budget...

asnowman

Sporty and Tantrum have hard but small wakes. I'd get a Response, Response LX, or LXi. Should be able to get an '03 for that, which is the year I'd go for provided the ECM has been updated to get rid of the annoying idle flair that year had. Get a snap-on tonneau for the bow and make it like a closed bow.

I have a 94 Echelon Lx, my buddy a 03 Sporty, both ski very well, my 1 buddy got into 35 off last week at 34mph behind my boat..you probably should make sure you get either stargazer gps or on the little newer boats zero off, helps in the course for good pills. I put the 3 event stargazer in my boat, works great, buddy has older perfect pass that he is going to upgrade to stargazer soon...

I'm sure you would never regret picking up a nice Gen I RLXI as others have said. :)

They ski beautifully, roomy and comfy interior and my Monsoon 340 has been faultless. Personally, I think they're one of the best looking models around, too.

• Like 2

I'm sure you would never regret picking up a nice Gen I RLXI as others have said. :)

They ski beautifully, roomy and comfy interior and my Monsoon 340 has been faultless. Personally, I think they're one of the best looking models around, too.

I'd have to agree ;)

Also to the original poster...check out ballofspray.com for your single ski fix.

Edited by Joeprunc

I agree with the RLXi guys in that price range.

https://nashville.craigslist.org/bod/5169533979.html

like the colors on that one, but dings and dock rash, not going to pass the wife's inspection. I got yelled at for leaving the tag to our son's life jacket in the boat at the end of the day last week.

OK, so can anyone tell me the difference in how an 09 response LX skis compared to an 05 RLXi? That 09 near me looks pretty nice, going to try to go see (ski) it,tomorrow.

I have skied the course behind Mastercrafts, a Sanger, various Malibus, a Centurian & Nautiques - I like my buddy's Sportster the best

Edited by Rednucleus

I have a 94 Echelon Lx, my buddy a 03 Sporty, both ski very well, my 1 buddy got into 35 off last week at 34mph behind my boat..you probably should make sure you get either stargazer gps or on the little newer boats zero off, helps in the course for good pills. I put the 3 event stargazer in my boat, works great, buddy has older perfect pass that he is going to upgrade to stargazer soon...

They're both great rigs, but if you ski a RLX and Sporty back-to-back, you'll feel the difference in the wake hardness between the SV23 and SV23D at 15 and 22. Inside of that, the difference is pretty much negligible.

This is the solution to your problem, OP. They can be had in your price range.

I ski with the owner of this boat. He has 2 of them. PM with details. Great guy, good skier, equally great boat.

This is the solution to your problem, OP. They can be had in your price range.

I ski with the owner of this boat. He has 2 of them. PM with details. Great guy, good skier, equally great boat.

Great looking boat.

No wedge

No tower

exactly what he's looking for...

/thread

Great looking boat.

No wedge

No tower

exactly what he's looking for...

/thread

Owned by a super anal dude who didn't want to list it until it was in better shape than when he bought it, too.

I have a ski buddy that I was trying to get into this boat. He could have gotten it for a sweet deal, but his CFO shot him down. I'm oddly familiar with that.

@asnowman: the RLX will have a slightly harder wake compared to the LXI, specifically at the outer wake edge and at the crest of the center wake, height is same. The LXI has a slightly softer wake with slightly less definition due to the wider chines and is a bit wider. As noted both the RLX and LXI are excellent, the Gen1 LXI is pretty damn sweet and would be a top choice. As a note, the TXI shows it's stuff at the longer line lengths, at shoreline, the LXI and TXI are very close. I would recommend PP over the Malibu speed control system since you will be chasing buoys.

• Like 1

Owned by a super anal dude who didn't want to list it until it was in better shape than when he bought it, too.

I have a ski buddy that I was trying to get into this boat. He could have gotten it for a sweet deal, but his CFO shot him down. I'm oddly familiar with that.

PM sent

And yes checks all the boxes....

Edited by asnowman

I say 1st gen RLXi as well. Only reason I went 2nd gen because I needed the extra freeboard in the bow and I preferred the gel lines. If I also had a 2011 VTX, those would be non-factors.

Wife & I owned a Tantrum for 18 years. Fantastic slalom boat, pulled a lot of PBs behind it myself included! Now own a 13 RLX love the boat great wake & pull. You can't go wrong with either. If you can't slalom behind these hulls you can't slalom. I've skied behind correct craft various years, mastercraft various years & prefer either one of my Malibu's!

How would the crew feel about this one?

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=33360

Its yellow, so it matches the VTX, it looks clean from the photos, but a rebuilt motor at only 400 hours? The lines on the boat are terrific, and the tower can come off nice and easy.

How would the crew feel about this one?

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=33360

Its yellow, so it matches the VTX, it looks clean from the photos, but a rebuilt motor at only 400 hours? The lines on the boat are terrific, and the tower can come off nice and easy.

As long as the engine checks out. And you might be able to make a bunch of money off the tower since it is that Titan 3 that some are so enamored with.

For the money, not sure I could look past this one. The Echelon put Malibu on the map - great boat.

I agree and that boat looks like the cat's pajamas and low hours

And you might be able to make a bunch of money off the tower since it is that Titan 3 that some are so enamored with.

And the SSP if you don't barefoot.

I'm not familiar enough with the Malibu cruise to tell by the switches--does that yellow boat have speed control?

And the SSP if you don't barefoot.

I'm not familiar enough with the Malibu cruise to tell by the switches--does that yellow boat have speed control?

Good point, I don't see Perfect Pass or any other speed control there - so you are looking at $1400 to install a stargazer 3 event if you do it yourself.

Edited by oldjeep

Good point, I don't see Perfect Pass or any other speed control there - so you are looking at $1400 to install a stargazer 3 event if you do it yourself.

value of the titan 3 easily pays for

So today we went and looked at this boat.

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/5150487719.html

Engine ran great, shift and steering were perfect, but there was a strong vibration on acceleration, and it stayed seemed to keep the vibration at speed. I dont have enough time in a direct drive like this, so i'm not sure if the vibration was something i should expect, or if its something to be concerned with. vibration felt similar to what we feel in out VTX when you give strong throttle and the wheel is hard to one side.

there are a number of things that are going to keep me from considering this boat, but i'm wondering if maybe the exhaust could be causing the vibration, or if there is some other known item to look for.